Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-09-2009, 05:29 PM   #1
Swedishmoose

Default Is that the first sign of a faulty tranny ???

Hi there,

I've recently noticed that my 2000 Falcon AU Futura ( 6 cyl , 4 speed auto ) doesn't manually downshift anymore. When I go downhills I usually put the gear selector from "D" to "3" or even "2" to use the "engine brake" to slow down the car instead of using the foot brake too much. When I moved the gear selector from "D" to "3" in th epast ,it immediately engaged the gear , the rpm went up ( because of the lower gear ) and the car kept the speed or slowed down downhills. Well , it worked fine until now.

Recently , if I do the same (downshift manually ) ,the lower gear doesn't seem to engage and the rpm is on idle . If I slightly touch the accelerator you can feel the gear engaging and from that moment on the car slows down ( rpm is up to whatever ...depending on the speed ).

Does anyone know what it could be ?

I hope a tranny fluid change + filter would do or is it most likely something serious ?

If anyone has had the same or maybe just an idea , please let me know...

Thanks anyways

The Moose

Swedishmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 10:00 PM   #2
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Mine was being a royal PITA i.e. changing up to a thousand rpm above where it would normally change, free rev, then bang into gear, after a transmission services shes smooth as ever, i'd do a service just to be sure, best 150 i've spent for a while
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2009, 03:58 AM   #3
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

yeah i had the same prob as Grandpa_spec_au bet 190 i spent 2 lol

but dose anyone know why i cannot start my 1998 AU falcon in park sometimes i have to move it to Nutral then it will let me start it??
Old 12-09-2009, 09:17 AM   #4
whiskers
gone fishing

you have most probably got low oil and a tranny service wouldn't go astray as said above you can do it your self if you have the time and are handy with the tools, if you do it yourself here is a guide for you to follow http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=21444

hope this helps you out a bit you can get the filter of ebay I think.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:26 PM   #5
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

When the boxes are pulled down gears and the engine rev drops to idle, its normally cause the forward drive clutch pack is stuffed, there is a sprag that doubles up on it, and it grabs once the input speed is faster than the output speed of that section, but normally the clutch is locked up on top if it, to hold the engine rev's while decellerating in lower gears, in drive the clutch isn't locked up in first etc. to allow for better coasting/economy.
5.0 ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
Bobman
Regulator

Might be worth changing the solenoid too. I know these were a problem on the AU taxis at work. Cheap and easy and can be done when doing the oil + filter on it.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #7
AU_Wagin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedishmoose
Hi there,

I've recently noticed that my 2000 Falcon AU Futura ( 6 cyl , 4 speed auto ) doesn't manually downshift anymore. When I go downhills I usually put the gear selector from "D" to "3" or even "2" to use the "engine brake" to slow down the car instead of using the foot brake too much. When I moved the gear selector from "D" to "3" in th epast ,it immediately engaged the gear , the rpm went up ( because of the lower gear ) and the car kept the speed or slowed down downhills. Well , it worked fine until now.

Recently , if I do the same (downshift manually ) ,the lower gear doesn't seem to engage and the rpm is on idle . If I slightly touch the accelerator you can feel the gear engaging and from that moment on the car slows down ( rpm is up to whatever ...depending on the speed ).

Does anyone know what it could be ?

I hope a tranny fluid change + filter would do or is it most likely something serious ?

If anyone has had the same or maybe just an idea , please let me know...

Thanks anyways

The Moose
Check/replace the inhibitor switch too, mine did that, and was a simple fix, stuffed inhibitor switch, never been better

Ray
Old 19-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #8
Swedishmoose

Hi folks....

thanks for all the comments.

I think an oil change with filter , the sollenoids and the inhibitor switch should be checked or replaced...

Well....I do maintenance work but I actually leave my fingers off the transmission.

What would it cost if a transmission shop or even Ford would do it?
Ford is the most expensive solution I guess.....just curious

Well...thanks again

The Moose
Swedishmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 11:23 AM   #9
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedishmoose
Hi folks....

thanks for all the comments.

I think an oil change with filter , the sollenoids and the inhibitor switch should be checked or replaced...

Well....I do maintenance work but I actually leave my fingers off the transmission.

What would it cost if a transmission shop or even Ford would do it?
Ford is the most expensive solution I guess.....just curious

Well...thanks again

The Moose

funny the responses in this thread.

it was dropping to idle, i'd blip the throttl;e and it would engage.

so i got the oil changed and a filter, and now it doesnt engage when i blip the throttle, just goes back to idle! LOL

i hate it, i use to love hearing my car backing off down the gears :(
Old 21-09-2009, 11:23 AM   #10
HLC
Audi S3

on that note,

where is the inhibitor switch???
Old 21-09-2009, 11:02 PM   #11
AU_Wagin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
on that note,

where is the inhibitor switch???
HI,

Its on the side of the tranny, its easy to see, with a pull off connector, when is stuffed the box behaves badly. I thought gearbox was on the way out, and switch replacement fixed it up
Old 25-09-2009, 09:00 AM   #12
HLC
Audi S3

Ah k.

I'll go have a look see if I can find it that being said, easy to remove or replace? Are new ones cheap etc?
Old 25-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #13
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Id change the inhibitor switch first.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post