Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 16-09-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
baltazar
Starter Motor

Default Spare set of keys

I have purchased a used Ford Zetec just over a month ago. At the time of the vehicle handover I was given only one set of keys (the original one with the flip/fold key with remote door/window feature with it), and promised to get the spare one once they chase it up from the previous owner (I think the car was leased to a business originally). I have just got a call from my dealer that the previous owner cannot locate the spare key and that a new one needs to be cut. He wants ME to pay for it now. I was just wondering if is common that a used car comes with both sets of keys and if I can decline to pay for the spare ones and ask the dealership to cover the fees. Anyone with similar experiences? :

baltazar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2009, 06:58 PM   #2
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

The cost of a new one is HUGE!

I'd be suggesting to him that if he promised a spare key he should provide one.

In reality, your best bet is probably offer to go halves
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2009, 11:11 PM   #3
baltazar
Starter Motor

Bugger...
Old 17-09-2009, 12:54 AM   #4
alky89

if when u purchased the car, the dealer promised to get u that 2nd key then there is no way u should be paying for it. not even a cent. go give the dealership an earful and make them cut you another one. sometimes you just have to be firm with them or you'll get pushed around. keep calling them and chasing them up. hearing about businesses ripping people off is one thing that really grinds my gears.

i got my focus 2nd hand (private sale) and that came with both keys.
alky89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2009, 10:25 AM   #5
warren77

Did you get the "promise in writing" or have any other documentation?
A major dealer may give it to you for free for the goodwill and hope to win your service business.
But a smaller one won't.
Best outcome is half I would agree.

Take it as a lesson - if it isn't with the car when you pick it up, get it documented.
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2009, 03:04 PM   #6
baltazar
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren77
Did you get the "promise in writing" or have any other documentation?
A major dealer may give it to you for free for the goodwill and hope to win your service business.
But a smaller one won't.
Best outcome is half I would agree.

Take it as a lesson - if it isn't with the car when you pick it up, get it documented.
Nope, nothing in writing unfortunately. However, the dealer was quite candid about it ("we'll sort it out for you", "we'll chase it up for a good customer that you are", and that sort of thing...) at the time of the sale. I gotta say I was surprised a bit when he called to say that in the end I'll have to cover the cost of spare set... A lesson to be learned I suppose... In the end they have lost a potential future customer so not sure if in the end this is the best outcome for them...

Look, don't get me wrong guys, it's not about the money, it's about the customer service and principles...
Old 17-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #7
Loris
Focus & Territory TDCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltazar
In the end they have lost a potential future customer so not sure if in the end this is the best outcome for them...
I would say the above to them.. also mention that all future services will be carried out by other dealers if this does not get resolved etc!
Loris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 10:35 PM   #8
dave_vic_ozz

Send them a letter saying you are waiting on the key.

Ask them to make good their promise.

Ask for either a reply in writing or a key.

However, the dealer was quite candid about it ("we'll sort it out for you", "we'll chase it up for a good customer that you are", and that sort of thing...) at the time of the sale.

Remind them this does not look good in a public forum, it is quite plausible and 'A Current Affair' might be interested in your story. ha ha .
dave_vic_ozz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 03:16 PM   #9
jayjays
Starter Motor

When I purchased my 07 TDCi almost a year ago, I was given only one key also, I questioned the dealer on this and he said they only come with one key. I left it at that although I knew it wasnt true.
About a month after my purchase, ford telephoned me to make sure everything was going ok, I told them I wasn't very impressed with only getting one key and everything else was ok. To cut a long story short, I had a visit from a locksmith at my workplace, during my lunch break who promptly cut me a spare key and programmed it free of charge.
Cheers
jayjays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 05:09 PM   #10
baltazar
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjays
When I purchased my 07 TDCi almost a year ago, I was given only one key also, I questioned the dealer on this and he said they only come with one key. I left it at that although I knew it wasnt true.
About a month after my purchase, ford telephoned me to make sure everything was going ok, I told them I wasn't very impressed with only getting one key and everything else was ok. To cut a long story short, I had a visit from a locksmith at my workplace, during my lunch break who promptly cut me a spare key and programmed it free of charge.
Cheers
Now that's more like it. I got them to cut a key for me but, the "who's gonna pay for it" bit was kinda left out. I'll print out this conversation and take with me when I pay them a visit (in couple of days time), in case I need "support" I'll let you know what transpired.

BTW the other key you got, was it the same type as the "master key" or a simple "mechanical" one? Just curious....
Old 22-09-2009, 05:27 PM   #11
jayjays
Starter Motor

The key does not have a remote, but can still unlock the door with the key hole and start the car (obviously) if need be. Not an actual ford branded key. This suited me as I'm the only driver and just needed it as a spare
jayjays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2009, 03:22 PM   #12
KEYMANJA
Starter Motor

There are other options should you want to get yourself a spare key without having to go to the dealers. You can purchase a key that will start the engine and get a seperate remote that will also work your vehicle. This usually works out quite a bit cheaper than the dealers. Where abouts are you perhaps i can send you in the right direction to have this done.
KEYMANJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2009, 04:25 PM   #13
baltazar
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYMANJA
There are other options should you want to get yourself a spare key without having to go to the dealers. You can purchase a key that will start the engine and get a seperate remote that will also work your vehicle. This usually works out quite a bit cheaper than the dealers. Where abouts are you perhaps i can send you in the right direction to have this done.
I'm in Perth, WA. Please do send thru anything that may help.
Old 24-09-2009, 05:28 PM   #14
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you can buy the key blanks on ebay and even the smaller of the two remote keys. I bought a second hand key fob (flip out type) from a wrecker for $15.00 and plan to get the blank key soon. The car. handbook says you can program the car to accept quiet a few remotes (more than just the two the factory sends with them)
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 08:05 PM   #15
Dustproof

Default Spare Keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99
you can buy the key blanks on ebay and even the smaller of the two remote keys. I bought a second hand key fob (flip out type) from a wrecker for $15.00 and plan to get the blank key soon. The car. handbook says you can program the car to accept quiet a few remotes (more than just the two the factory sends with them)

Depending on the Model you purchased, your key might need to be reprogrammed to the car. To do this the dealer will require ALL the keys you have for the car because they ALL need to be reprogrammed at the same time. There is a Hack Site http://www.focushacks.com/ which can help you reprogram the key yourself, the problem is if your Ztech is a late model it will turn the ignition on but not start the car. Been there done that sort of thing, ended up with the dealer with all keys and now they all work fine.

By the way, the dealer might ask you to pay for the key. Stand you ground and tell him you want to speak to his boss whilst standing in the showroom in front of customers - I bet you get a free key.

Dusty :
Old 01-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #16
baltazar
Starter Motor

Guys,

Happy to report that the dealer decided to make my day and give me the key free of charge :

Go Midway Ford!

Thanks for all the good advice folks!