Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-06-2009, 06:28 PM   #1
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Torsional Stiffness

When a car is released there is often a claim of say 15% greater 'torsional stiffness'.
The press often uses this expression or 'torsional rigidity'

Noticeably at time the FG release reviews the press said the VE had greater torsional stiffness.

What I would like to know is, since it is quoted in % gains it must be measurable - not just based on the driver impression.

Does anyone know of a source of data for 'torsional Stiffness' or 'rigidity'.
Some kind of competitive comparison.

thanks

EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2009, 07:05 PM   #2
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Do not know of a source giving hard data that can be used as a comparison between manufacturers. It is more of a subjective observation that can be made in the handling characteristics of a vehicle.

A dead give away is opening a door when one wheel is jacked off the ground. Do this on a VN commodore and the door will not close again without misalignment causing it to strike on the opening. Do this on a BF and it closes easy, showing much less distortion of the body structure.

They do torsional rigidity testing in the design process which involves placing a measured amount of torsional force on the body and measuring the amount of deformation. Done with hydraulic rams and very sensitive measuring equipment.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

About the only real 'comparison' I have seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRfE_XAk2mE
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2009, 09:53 PM   #4
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Awesome demonstration of the concept, thanks
Old 04-06-2009, 09:54 PM   #5
MAD
Petro-sexual

Nice comparison, but that guy has sweet FA of an idea of what he is talking about.
I hate when sales people interview an engineer, have no idea what they are talking about, then try to replicate the information to the public.

Torsional stiffnes is a measurable unit, but it's effects on handling and are not so much. Many many factors come in to play when 'handling' is 'measured'.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:55 PM   #6
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
Nice comparison, but that guy has sweet FA of an idea of what he is talking about.
I hate when sales people interview an engineer, have no idea what they are talking about, then try to replicate the information to the public.
What were the faults?
Old 04-06-2009, 10:07 PM   #7
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
What were the faults?
Just some of the words he was using seemed in the wrong context. When he was talking about the frame being boxed, a line he used "the deep section was able to provide a good section and react the load". It sort of sounds right, but not at the same time, unless "react the load" is a term used in America.
I never heard that reference or anything like it while at uni, so it sounds out of place to me. Maybe I judged too quickly, maybe he was not very used to public speaking and got some of his words tied.

The whole experiment seemed like a very good example of what torsional stiffness is and how it can be measured.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:11 PM   #8
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The way we do it on race cars is to attach a 10+ foot pole and start putting you back in.

Its still a rough measurement but you know which car is stiffer because one is being twisted with the longer pole.
KPOJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2009, 10:16 PM   #9
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
Just some of the words he was using seemed in the wrong context. When he was talking about the frame being boxed, a line he used "the deep section was able to provide a good section and react the load". It sort of sounds right, but not at the same time, unless "react the load" is a term used in America.
I never heard that reference or anything like it while at uni, so it sounds out of place to me. Maybe I judged too quickly, maybe he was not very used to public speaking and got some of his words tied.

The whole experiment seemed like a very good example of what torsional stiffness is and how it can be measured.

Yes his public speaking was off and obviously not his forte. A lot of his theory when (you get past the terminology) was quite sound and the demonstration was good.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:11 AM   #10
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

The demonstration and explanations of closed (boxed) section chassis vs. open (C) section chassis was quite sound, as geckoGT said.

Put simply, open (C) sectioned beams will twist (deflect) much more under torsion than similar dimensioned closed section beams. Get a short square section hollow tube in a vice at one end and a spanner at the other, and it will be quite stiff under torsion. Cut a slit along its length then see how much easier it is to twist it.

In the chassis demonstration, due to the cross members there is bending involved as well as torsion. The deeper section will be much stiffer in bending, especially so also being a box section. The torsional load applied at the rear is reacted by the various chassis members and finally at the anchor points (restraints). This is what is termed a 'load path'.

Last edited by Silver Ghia; 05-06-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 12:17 AM   #11
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Torsional stiffness is measured in Nm/degree. The aim is pretty much always for infinite but in reality it's a bit different. I think the alloy/carbon chassis Astons are somewhere around 30,000Nm/degree. Formula SAE racing cars (university students design and build) generally aim for about 1500Nm/degree. There are a large number of factors which determine how stiff you can make a chassis, including if you can put structural members through the cockpit (ie, roll cage/hoops/bars/etc).
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 12:43 AM   #12
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
They do torsional rigidity testing in the design process which involves placing a measured amount of torsional force on the body and measuring the amount of deformation. Done with hydraulic rams and very sensitive measuring equipment.
They can actually check the torsional rigidity with the finite element (computer) model during the initial design phase, before the first article is made and tested. With the finite element model, they apply the loads on the model and see what the torsional rigidity is, and whether it meets their targets. They can then optimise the structure in the model by moving members around, changing thickness and shapes, add gussets and other members etc, to improve the torsional rigidity.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 01:16 AM   #13
Watto_Cobra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here's a video that really shows how sloppy the Toyota frame is next to the F-truck.

Youtube - Silver Creek
Daily: SZII - 56,000 km - converted to Tezza
Watto_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 09:40 AM   #14
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
When a car is released there is often a claim of say 15% greater 'torsional stiffness'.
The press often uses this expression or 'torsional rigidity'

Noticeably at time the FG release reviews the press said the VE had greater torsional stiffness.

What I would like to know is, since it is quoted in % gains it must be measurable - not just based on the driver impression.

Does anyone know of a source of data for 'torsional Stiffness' or 'rigidity'.
Some kind of competitive comparison.

thanks
There is static and dynamic deflections that take place. It's quite simple to simply measure compliance by shoving weights at various points along the frame and work out a cumulative result in radians per Nm, but it doesn't tell the whole story.

Just like when you size valve springs, you should find the natural resonant frequency to figure out best shape, mass, dampening, etc . To do this on structural frames you attach a shaker; on a car I suspect the frame is put in a jig of some sought with a shaker attached and some sought of accelerometer measures the natural resonant frequency at various points. I would guess the modal frequency where the maxiumum compliance occurs, becomes a yardstick, the higher the frequency the less dynamically compliant.

If you added up the side to side, end to end, diagonal to diagonal, etc compliances at various frequencies you'd get an overall cumulative compliance figure in radians per Nm, which that little video XR6 Martin's doesn't demonstrate . The mean or median frequency where the majority of cumulative compliance occurs would become another yardstick.

Last edited by Wally; 05-06-2009 at 09:59 AM.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 10:11 AM   #15
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmelon
Torsional stiffness is measured in Nm/degree. The aim is pretty much always for infinite but in reality it's a bit different. I think the alloy/carbon chassis Astons are somewhere around 30,000Nm/degree. Formula SAE racing cars (university students design and build) generally aim for about 1500Nm/degree. There are a large number of factors which determine how stiff you can make a chassis, including if you can put structural members through the cockpit (ie, roll cage/hoops/bars/etc).
The astons torsional stiffness is amazing... is that for a race or street aston?

On the other hand the formula sae is quiet low, but i guess they don't have much weight behind them

My hyundai's TS is about 20,000-23,000Nm
KPOJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 11:07 AM   #16
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watto_Cobra
Here's a video that really shows how sloppy the Toyota frame is next to the F-truck.

Youtube - Silver Creek
That's one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Thanks for posting that.

Quote: