Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Who will The CarsGuide COTY 2009?
Nissan GT-R 37 26.81%
Toyota Prius 0 0%
Volvo XC60 D5 4 2.90%
Hyundai i30 CW 3 2.17%
Mercedes-Benz E250 CDI 4 2.90%
Ford Fiesta 48 34.78%
Holden Cruze 14 10.14%
Mazda3 9 6.52%
Subaru Liberty 3 2.17%
VW Golf 16 11.59%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23-11-2009, 11:52 PM   #31
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Carsguide = Holden :
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2009, 09:14 AM   #32
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think:

1) Mazda 3
2) GTR
3) Fiesta ties with Cruze. Maybe Golf in there somewhere but I've never been a fan.

If its a small car I think the Mazda 3 will win it as its best in class though you never know with Carsguide they could give it to the morbidly obese Cruze. Fiesta keeps getting canned for having a 1.4 litre with the auto so i think this will be enough to keep it off the podium.

GTR is a bit of a dark horse -its fantastic BFYB but the maintenance costs are horrendous.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2009, 09:15 AM   #33
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

By the way the Liberty has to win the award for taking one of the best looking cars on the road and turning it into one of the most hideously deformed things I have ever seen.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2009, 09:32 AM   #34
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Surely the GTR cant win, otherwise the manufacturer that produces the best car regardless of cost will get it every time. Any supercar shouldn't be in the competition, surely PCOTY covers that..anyway

Fezza is a good car, Golf has the reputation and the 3 has the sales. It will be one of them.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2009, 11:21 AM   #35
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Box
Carsguide = Holden :
I will put money down that the Cruze gets the win. If not here then some other car of the year award.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2009, 11:30 AM   #36
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Surely the GTR cant win, otherwise the manufacturer that produces the best car regardless of cost will get it every time. Any supercar shouldn't be in the competition, surely PCOTY covers that..anyway

Fezza is a good car, Golf has the reputation and the 3 has the sales. It will be one of them.
Fair point too.. what's the criteria? PCOTY is totally different to COTY....
How do you realistically compare a GTR to a Golf? :

Old 24-11-2009, 11:41 AM   #37
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
I will put money down that the Cruze gets the win. If not here then some other car of the year award.
If the cruze wins anything other than "I cant believe people brought it" award then I will have a melt down, its got nothing on the Fez or Golf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Yeah I dont know, they should have price categories or something, although I think RACV does that. But it is carsguide after all. They will claim to have some wizz bang marking criteria that is bulletproof, perhaps the entrance criteria should be looked at.
Old 24-11-2009, 12:32 PM   #38
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I would suspect that each vehicle would be compared to its peers. Those that stand out the furthest would gain highest points.

Being a slightly better bubble car, I believe, is not as great an achievement as completely demolishing your contempories.

The GTR is a $150k sports car. Compared against all other $150k+/- sports cars it does not even remotely have rivals, hence my vote for it.

All of the others are "me too but I am a tiny bit better in one or two areas".

Mazda 3 vs Corolla vs Fiesta vs [insert replica bubble here] may demonstrate, if anything, some slight improvement but in reality they are all pretty much the same thing with a different badge.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2009, 12:50 PM   #39
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I would suspect that each vehicle would be compared to its peers. Those that stand out the furthest would gain highest points.

Being a slightly better bubble car, I believe, is not as great an achievement as completely demolishing your contempories.

The GTR is a $150k sports car. Compared against all other $150k+/- sports cars it does not even remotely have rivals, hence my vote for it.

All of the others are "me too but I am a tiny bit better in one or two areas".

Mazda 3 vs Corolla vs Fiesta vs [insert replica bubble here] may demonstrate, if anything, some slight improvement but in reality they are all pretty much the same thing with a different badge.
Exactly my reason for voting for it.
The car of the year cars don't compete against each other. Each car competes against it's own class.

ie GTR to sports
Fiesta to small car
Volvo to suv etc etc
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2009, 01:19 PM   #40
theboxmike

My mate actually has just got the new liberty and may i say it's the best car i have been in for a long time. Seriously good car (great interior) And the build quality i find is just awesome, it really does feel like a much more expensive car then it really is. Performance isn't overly exciting but hey this car has the CVT and a boxer 4 with no turbo, how do you think it's going to go?
theboxmike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2009, 01:22 PM   #41
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboxmike
My mate actually has just got the new liberty and may i say it's the best car i have been in for a long time. Seriously good car (great interior) And the build quality i find is just awesome, it really does feel like a much more expensive car then it really is. Performance isn't overly exciting but hey this car has the CVT and a boxer 4 with no turbo, how do you think it's going to go?
Im sure they drive great but its not really any different to other libertys gone by, other than the styling and it seems to have gone backwards.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 24-11-2009, 01:59 PM   #42
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My older brother has a 2009 3.0L liberty and it's a gorgeous car, interior is mint, body is graceful and it gets up and boogies. The new one, well i haven't been inside one but i wouldn't want to. That thing looks like the bastard child of a new E-Class and 80s pulsar.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2009, 12:26 PM   #43
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Golf won it
http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-of-the-year/
Old 01-12-2009, 01:57 PM   #44
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Seems a reasonable and unbiased conclusion. I would have been surprised if the Golf didn't take it out and I thought only the Fiesta could beat it - and they ended up 1, 2.

Cruze - tanked in the scoring.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post