Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-12-2009, 10:45 AM   #91
kezzer

I'm a p plater, I own a FG XR6 and a mate of mine owns a modded VE SV6, we race occasionally (he still beats me : ) but we don't put others lives at risk whilst doing so. It's not like we rip it around corners and plough into the nearest elementary school.

I don't see the problem in having abit of fun if you know what the consequences are, especially if its done out in woop woop at 1am.
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2009, 12:59 PM   #92
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzer
I'm a p plater, I own a FG XR6 and a mate of mine owns a modded VE SV6, we race occasionally (he still beats me : ) but we don't put others lives at risk whilst doing so. It's not like we rip it around corners and plough into the nearest elementary school.

I don't see the problem in having abit of fun if you know what the consequences are, especially if its done out in woop woop at 1am.

I don't see the point that you seem to be making - the perception of hooning to the general public is exactly as you have stated - two guys having a bit of fun racing each other at 2.00am out in woop woop. You are putting each of your own lives at risk, not withstanding the unknown truck driver, mother or whoever else unfortunately comes across your paths.

The consequences are that you are not indestructible - street racing is a gateway straight to the spinal ward or to the morgue.

I am not attempting to can 'P' platers, but I have seen the results of a bit of harmless fun too often - I reiterate- do you realy know the consequences of the weapon that you are driving.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2009, 01:40 PM   #93
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The thing is, 18 year olds will always be 18 year olds, indestructible and the best drivers out there.

Attitude needs to change and the thing is, it wont. You can't.

Wind back 30 years ago and you older guys where probably doing the same things with your first cars. I know my Dad was. Pushing his XU1 past 110mp/h on public roads, street racing, not stopping at stop lights, one time driving with no brakes, he's been there and done that. Except he ended up trading the XU1 on a new Datsun 200B and since then he drives like a grandma, he has a family. I'm not bragging about it, why would i? He knows he is lucky to be alive and knows its wrong but people still did similar things back in the day as well.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 01-12-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2009, 01:58 PM   #94
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd_on20s
howdy peoples,
i have a problem people and its been bugging me for some time now. I dont know wether this is the best area on this website to put this on but hey everyone will have a read...(maybe one of the moderates will move it and put a sticky on it??)

motoring enthusiasts(hoons as perceived by media and ignorant pr*cks) have a bad image problem. media, public and polictians love to beat up on us. yet we pay a huge amount on vehicles. everything from finance, cpt, rego, petrol, tyres etc etc. yet we have no one to come out and state "not this is not right" or a lobby group that really protects our interests. no one is out there willing to put a defamation case into the courts against police, pollie or some idiot like Harold Scruby(the president of the pedestrian council of australia) who likes to get on TV and bleat every time someone goes over the speed limit by 2k/ph

heres just a couple of articles of that fantastic website News.com
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/com...45-2761,00.html

now some of these comments border on total control and dictatorship of what we like doing with OUR Money

what i was thinking is starting up a website (something along the lines of Road users group of australia, otr if u guys can think of something) and inviting all people who use forums(not just thine one, but full boost, commodore ones etc to log on and start a group that actually has a voice.

i think one of the reasons we dont get looked after is the fact we are not as organised as these other groups eg. Pedestrian coucil of australia.

let me know what u guys think. any ideas, comments, emails would be greatly appreciated

cheers
Talal
Good idea. When I was working as Editor of Fast Fours all the editors talked about setting up a group like it.

At the moment we are represented by a bunch of toothless tigers called the PRTC (PERFORMANCE, RACING AND TUNING COUNCIL). http://www.prtc.com.au/ I have met with them and they haven't made much progress and were really not fighting that much to protect what has "an annual turnover of $5 billion, exports of $600 million and employs 30,000 people."

You'd need a public face, someone who is respected and can talk in front of the camera. The last thing you want is to be interviewed and look like a monkey. Guys like Ian Luff are always up for this. You also need to have someone with public pulling power, like eric banner.

You also need to get all the stats and figures and facts... things like the fact that semantics are used to justify policy. For instance, the use of "speed was a contributing factor". This phrase is used by accident investigators... and mis-used by governments to misrepresent the stats about how much of a role speed plays in fatalities and major accidents. You see, if a driver is going 45km/h in a 60km/h zone when it's raining, they aren't speeding. But if they run someone over or crash, it's written that "Speed was a contributing factor" becasue they couldn't stop in time. And so on and so forth.

You need to look at the percentages of modified cars involved in crashes. Impossible, so look towards pushing the REAL killers, deflated tyres (which increase braking distance) and talk about how the governments misrepresent stats to justify spending money on "cracking" down on hoons.

Good luck... the fact is that the politicians only care about saving face and lokoing like they are doing something about a problem - even if the problem only really exists in order to sell papers.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2009, 02:01 PM   #95
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF
The thing is, 18 year olds will always be 18 year olds, indestructible and the best drivers out there.

Wind back 30 years ago and you older guys where probably doing the same things with your first cars. I know my Dad was. Pushing his XU1 past 110mp/h on public roads, street racing, not stopping at stop lights, one time driving with no brakes, he's been there and done that. Except he ended up trading the XU1 on a new Datsun 200B and since then he drives like a grandma, he has a family.

I still believe attitudes can change - god help us, if every eighteen year old as a right had to speed, drift round corners, street race and more or less had to almost kill someone as a right of passage to adult hood - and no, I'm no wowser, but I certainly didn't get up to the things as stated in your post - lost two close surfing buddies in one go, pretty life altering occurence when you have to attend two funerals.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:03 PM   #96
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzer

And there is the attitude of a P plater ........ not much more to say really

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2009, 02:05 PM   #97
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxr
I don't see the point that you seem to be making - the perception of hooning to the general public is exactly as you have stated - two guys having a bit of fun racing each other at 2.00am out in woop woop. You are putting each of your own lives at risk, not withstanding the unknown truck driver, mother or whoever else unfortunately comes across your paths.

The consequences are that you are not indestructible - street racing is a gateway straight to the spinal ward or to the morgue.

I am not attempting to can 'P' platers, but I have seen the results of a bit of harmless fun too often - I reiterate- do you realy know the consequences of the weapon that you are driving.
Can you really call that hooning?? To me hooning is ripping it around corners and round abouts in the middle of suburbia, or shredding up some tyres at the local lights etc.

Why is hooning a new word?
As if non of the older blokes on here, have never raced their modified cars on public roads. Let alone deserted stretches of hwy in benambra etc at like 2am in the morning lol, lucky to see a car or truck there at 2pm!

Driving is a risk in on its own, drinking tap water may cause cancer, you're plane that departs in 2 hours might crash and burn, 2012 might be the end of the world etc lol, people worry to much about risk, just go out there and have fun, as long as i'm not hurting anyone else who cares.
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2009, 02:21 PM   #98
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
And there is the attitude of a P plater ........ not much more to say really

Gold - what more can one say :
Old 01-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #99
CFOUR
The Destroyer

I think all non p players should drive f-250's all p players drive fiesta diesel's. no risk of injury to any non p plater there. The front wheel drive will calm them down and they won't have any power to show off. I for 1 had a auxr8 ute for my first car and had zero accidents while on my p plates. (none on open licence yet either)

the fact is that some people suck at driving and always will, it's just p players are generaly too stubbern to admit that they suck and adjust the driving to match their ability.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:05 PM   #100
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOUR
I think all non p players should drive f-250's all p players drive fiesta diesel's. no risk of injury to any non p plater there. The front wheel drive will calm them down and they won't have any power to show off. I for 1 had a auxr8 ute for my first car and had zero accidents while on my p plates. (none on open licence yet either)

the fact is that some people suck at driving and always will, it's just p players are generaly too stubbern to admit that they suck and adjust the driving to match their ability.
I was looking at cars in June, I had $18,000 to spend (of my money, not mummy and daddys) and I looked all over the joint for a manual BA Falcon XR6 but they where all at $17,500, anyways my parents wouldn't take me to check out some private sales Falcons and pretty much forced me into buying my WS Fiesta, which I dont like at all and considering selling it to move up to something a bit more powerful, this is so boring to drive, it has to be revved past 4000RPM before it starts to move decently, its a great car, it handles awesomely and everything just "works" without problems, plus its using 6.62L for 100km but I want something with torque or something more exciting. I've only ever driven crappy small cars, precisely why I dont want one.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2009, 03:32 PM   #101
azaxr8

[QUOTE=SM1DY]1. Selling a car that belongs to a parent is a bit excessive. A person can't be punished because one of their idiot kids takes their car.
QUOTE]

So, what you're saying is there kids "stole" there car? Ok put them up for theft and hooning. If the parents lend them there high-powered car. then they themselfs are breaking the law. Punish both.
azaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2009, 04:29 PM   #102
Poidevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF

I'll probably get flamed for this but anyway, yes a lot of p-platers attitudes need to change but I daresay people like you also need to change your attitude. I'm talking about people that just instantly assume all p-platers are idiots when it comes to driving and that we all see ourselves as 'invincible', I'm off my p-plates in 3 weeks and you know what? I was so good on my p-plates (no crashes, speeding fines etc.) that the DPI gave me a year's free license. Yes I realise I've only been on the road for around 3 years so I guess you could say I'm still relatively inexperienced but I passed all my driving tests, I filled up my log book (by filled up I really do mean filled up, over 70 hours of driving when only 25 were required) and I actually do know how to indicate properly on a round-about, not even my mum knows how to do that.

This may seem a bit like a personal attack on you and I'm sorry for that, but it's mainly just that I'm annoyed at the media for turning 'hoons' and p-platers into pariahs. For example, I drive an AU Forte with a sports exhaust most of the time and everytime I've been at the shops or driving around town I always cop dirty looks from people (usually Grandmas or mothers pushing prams) like I'm some sort of criminal, just because I'm driving what they consider to be a (to coin a phrase from my dad) 'Hoon Wagon' lol. Having the p-plate on the car just makes it worse.

Also just to finish off (this is a long rant), I have always wondered why the penalties for traffic offenses are higher for p-platers. Think about it, if a p-plater were to do 10-20km/h over the limit and was caught he'd get a fine from the police, a huge lecture from the police and parents I assume on how speeding is wrong and endangers lives. But on the flipside if a person that has been driving for 30 years is caught doing 10-20km/h over the speed limit, they'd just cop a fine and probably 'try not to do it again mate' and away they go. How come penalties aren't higher for people that have been driving for longer? Shouldn't they know better after driving for 30 years? Also don't forget p-platers are still basically just learners drivers, they are still learning how to drive properly, they should be given support by the community rather than scorn.

But yeah, in summing up attitudes need to change on both sides of the fence.

end rant.
Poidevin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post