Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-12-2009, 03:18 PM   #1
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Vw Amarok Ute

Looks VW will have ute on the market next it looks like it might be good thing

http://www.caradvice.com.au/49704/20...omment-page-1/

waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I like the look of it, it looks rather nice.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

you know what ?
after reading a little about this Ute - I reckon it could make it in the market over here...

The Merc Vito & VW Transporter shook up the van part of the market when they were relased here (given that most vans that I remember were Hiace or Econovans)

I reckon it does look pretty damn good... its certainly more handsome than a Navara, and a Colorado... and the Hilux is now dated and been done to death....

With VW build quality and VW diesel power/torque/strength...

So long as it is priced right (not necessarily the cheapest)... it will be bought...

Good stuff VW...
Old 16-12-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

could be a contender

Quote:
Emissions from the 120kW version are 206 g/km CO2 and the 90kW unit sneaks in at 199 g/km, making VW’s new ute the first all-wheel drive pick-up in its class to pump out less than 200 g/km.

Permanent four-wheel drive is an option and the Amarok can also be driven in rear-wheel drive and switchable modes.

It features a Torsen differential to distribute drive at a 40:60 ratio to the front and rear axles, and electronic differential lock (EDL) and off-road ABS are also offered.

ESP, Hill Decent and Hill Hold Assist – which prevents the vehicle from rolling back by holding it in place on inclines until the driver presses the accelerator pedal – round out the list of technical gear, while four airbags also come as standard.
not a fan of permanent 4x4 but im sure it will have a switch for 2H/4L/4H

towing capacity is a little low considering some of its rivals

i guess price makes all the difference now....... shouldnt be more than $50k tops for the top of the line model, otherwise they are dreaming

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2009, 08:02 PM   #5
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

That thing looks very tough, would consider one if they could handle going off road well!
Old 16-12-2009, 08:07 PM   #6
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

The 2.0 litre twin turbo diesel is impressive, iirc 120kw and 400nm lugging around a heavy ute while getting 7.6L per 100klm.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2009, 10:34 AM   #7
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Looks to be a winner and apparently even bigger than the current Hilux.

Stumbling blocks in the Aussie market may be price and the perception the engine capacity is too small for a 'real' truck. A 2.0l diesel engine may not cut it in the pub bragging rites that seem so important to some.

It would probably be my pick for this type of vehicle, well until T6 arrives anyway ;)
Old 28-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #8
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2009...ng-leaks-17677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpoint
Volkswagen Amarok pricing leaks

words - Stephen Ottley

Watch out Toyota HiLux, the German newcomer has you in its sights!

Volkswagen will pit its new Amarok Ute squarely against the market leading Toyota HiLux on price as well as performance and practicality. Although there has been no official comment from VW, well placed sources have told the Carsales Network that the company will go as close as possible to match the price of HiLux.

The German company has made no secret the popular Japanese model has been the benchmark during development of the Amarok. However, because the HiLux is built in Thailand -- a country with a free trade agreement with Australia -- it was expected the Amarok would struggle to match the Toyota in the price department.

Our sources confirmed that VW will offer 4x2, 4x4 and 4MOTION variants of the Amarok when it goes on sale in the second half of 2010. Although final specifications haven't been confirmed, our snout said the company will be offering a base-level workhorse and more lifestyle-orientated models.

That means pricing for the 4x2 Amarok in base spec is likely to start around the mid-$30,000 range and stretch up to the low-$50,000 mark for the well-equipped 4x4 model.

The decision to offer the 4MOTION model locally will give Volkswagen a unique proposition in the Ute segment. It will offer buyers the flexibility of an all-wheel drive system, without the low-range system from the more robust 4x4.

As revealed in our earlier news story the Amarok will be available with both the single and bi-turbo diesel engines, already found in the T5 Transporter range. Our source also indicated that the 118kW petrol engine will arrive early in 2011, most likely with the single-cab variants.

What hasn't been confirmed yet is when the automatic transmissions will join the range. Although the Transporter uses a new seven-speed dual-clutch (DSG) gearbox that is suitable for the Amarok engines, it is not decided yet whether or not to go with a DSG or a traditional torque converter.

Volkswagen's decision to buy into Suzuki could also have a knock-on effect for Amarok production in the future. VW Commercial boss Stephan Schaller admitted that the company is considering plants in South East Asia as a future manufacturing site for the Ute, if demand outstrips what the current Argentinean factory can supply.
If the Amarok is priced similarly to the Hilux, I think it could make a big impact on the LCV segment.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #9
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quite like this 4x4, thats saying something for me.

But ive always liked the VW brand.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2009, 10:14 PM   #10
GUTLES
Adam.

Love the Interior & being a VW owner I'm sure it'd be very reliable & the build quality would be second to none.

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #11
FPV70

looks a bit like a Colorado/Rodeo to me but it looks ok.
Old 29-12-2009, 05:45 PM   #12
irlewy86
Meep Meep

I wonder if Toyota will sharpen their pencils now VW is on the market.
Old 29-12-2009, 10:23 PM   #13
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If i could afford it, i would buy one right now and park the Super Pursuit for the weekends.

Looks really good, and the VW build and reliability would be great, plus i'd be able to get to all my favourite MX and MTB spots with ease

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post