Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-01-2010, 01:36 AM   #1
cougermoon
Mr blue

Default Big Mouth SS induction kits

hey guys just wondering if someone knew if these

http://www.mettamsmufflers.com.au/pr...aussinduction/

CAI were any good, ive seen my mates and its seems bloody big compared to the tickford ones but they use the standard filter box.

wondering if anyone knew if these are worth getting for my AU II, or if there are better and cheaper options.

thanks

cougermoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 01:56 AM   #2
ThePistonHead
Shame Holden, Shame

From what I've heard (correct if wrong):

Minimal gains if it is the sole modification, but reasonable gains if bundled with a decent exhaust system. No point getting lots of air in, if your exhaust can't effectively get rid of it.

Cheaper option is to add a second air intake like found in the F6 from factory. Cost you $20 tops, and some reckon its a more effective means of getting more cold air into our engine as the second intake is usually located far away from the engine bay's warmth (fog light covers/wheel arches etc)

Also keep in mind the minimal results will be further minimised if your not using a high flow air filter e.g. K&N, which can also be quite pricey.

Cheers.

EFII "XR8" Fairmont V8 185KW ELII XR8 engine, box & exhaust|Dual Fuel|Tints|FTR's|Factory bodykit |K&N panel filter|Interior LED Conversion|Leather steering wheel|Slotted rotors|Ghia wood + chrome|Subwoofer|

METALLICA
ThePistonHead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 09:45 AM   #3
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

I used to have the XR6T snorkle, now I've got the SS Inductions setup:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePistonHead
From what I've heard (correct if wrong):

Minimal gains if it is the sole modification, but reasonable gains if bundled with a decent exhaust system. No point getting lots of air in, if your exhaust can't effectively get rid of it.

Cheaper option is to add a second air intake like found in the F6 from factory. Cost you $20 tops, and some reckon its a more effective means of getting more cold air into our engine as the second intake is usually located far away from the engine bay's warmth (fog light covers/wheel arches etc)

Also keep in mind the minimal results will be further minimised if your not using a high flow air filter e.g. K&N, which can also be quite pricey.

Cheers.
Spot on the money - by itself it's nothing special (definately not worth the $315 RRP). Combined with other mods, it's not too bad!

I scored a complete snorkel and airbox setup (with enlarged lower airbox hole to suit the SS snorkle, AND a bellmouth housing in the upper airbox lid - same as EF (proven to have best flow) - for $150 off a fellow forum member last year.

Definately more throttle than XR6T snorkel, at the time I got it (in my build thread somewhere) I commented that the engine just revs out that bit easier than beforehand....so I'm happy with it for sure.

However, if you can't get your hands on it cheap, don't bother....just stick to your K&N filter, XR6T snorkel and maybe look into cutting a hole in the front lower section of your airbox.

It's been questioned whether a non-XR AU would get much out of this, as the airflow isn't much around the headlights (especially compared to the XR's), but it doesn't cost you anything to do!
Old 21-01-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
cougermoon
Mr blue

Yeah I got the Big mouth kit installed yesterday, but i also have the PM extractors and all the stuff to the back . I notice a difference, not a huge one but a little better throttle response and better idle.

cougermoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post