Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
luckykar

Default Power Windows Problem

My AU xr6 has 4 door power windows , they all work from the main switch on the drivers door...but the rear 2 windows wont work from there switches on the doors.

I have had all the switches out and cleaned them all up but i cant figure out why the windows will only work from the main driver switch , any help would be much appreciated.

EDIT : the switches in the back work fine on the front so its a tricky one , it like the rear ones have no power getting to the switch.

Last edited by luckykar; 23-01-2010 at 09:27 PM. Reason: add more info
luckykar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you haven't got the driver's switch locked have you? that will stop the rear switches from working, but not the driver's one from working on the rear windows.
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Yeah that's what I was thinking also, there is a toggle like switch above the 4 switches themselves, switch it over , it is a kill/lockout for the rear power window's.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 11:00 PM   #4
xrford
WAGONE

Provided If whats said above still doesnt work, in each switch there are 2 white prongs that push the metal strips onto the switch contacts inside and make it operate and this is usually the main cause as the ends of the white prongs eventually wear down ( ie: kids in the back playing with windows) or just from normal wear and tear.
Also sometimes the switch can get stuck in the up or down position and when the window motor fully winds out there is still current flowing through the contacts which then get hot and melt the end of the white prongs so it no longer applies enough pressure on metal strips and doesnt make contact (just try push down on the switch really hard when you operate it and see if it goes then)
The only other thing is that the auctual contact point surfaces inside the switch become black and charred from the small arc every time they are operated, but if you have popped the switch button off and properly cleaned the inside and contacts then id say the prongs are just worn out and your just gonna need 2 new switch mech.
The master control will still always operate the rear windows no matter what unless the rear switch is not plugged in or the auctual master switch stuffs up as well.
Hope thats of some help.

Last edited by xrford; 23-01-2010 at 11:05 PM.
xrford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2010, 11:51 AM   #5
luckykar

Thanks for the replies , I have tried the lock slide and it doesn't seem to be effecting the windows , unless the lock slider itself is crook ...yeah come to think of it thats the only one I haven't pulled out to clean.

The back switches themselves are all working as i have tested them of the passenger side door and it works from there so it has to be either a crook lock switch or a wiring problem somewhere.

I will remove the front main one today and have a look at the lock mechanism. Will report back later.

thanks
Old 24-01-2010, 07:22 PM   #6
AU1monty
Starter Motor

my car has exactly the same problem, i was just gonna go to the wreckers and get some replacement switches and see what happens, btw does anyone know how to remove the cruise control and volume switches on either side of the steering wheel, mine are held together by blue tack and need replacing
AU1monty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2010, 09:30 PM   #7
luckykar

I removed the front drivers side main control to inspect it and once I connected it back up all the windows started working again...must of been a bad connection somewhere.

thanks for all the suggestions and help guys.
Old 24-01-2010, 09:43 PM   #8
luckykar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU1monty
my car has exactly the same problem, i was just gonna go to the wreckers and get some replacement switches and see what happens,
The tutorial below should help you out and may save you some hard earned cash by simply cleaning all the contact points.

http://www.aufalcon.com/cgi-bin/inde...=tutorials&i=2
Old 25-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #9
AU1monty
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckykar
The tutorial below should help you out and may save you some hard earned cash by simply cleaning all the contact points.

http://www.aufalcon.com/cgi-bin/inde...=tutorials&i=2
yeh i had a look at that a while back, still unsure if its worth the effort of cleaning them all as opposed to driving to dandenong and spending 30 bucks or so,

starting to lean more towards cleaning them, might do it this arvo, ill let you know how it goes
Old 25-01-2010, 04:03 PM   #10
AU1monty
Starter Motor

Quote:
yeh i had a look at that a while back, still unsure if its worth the effort of cleaning them all as opposed to driving to dandenong and spending 30 bucks or so,

starting to lean more towards cleaning them, might do it this arvo, ill let you know how it goes
success, i started out with the attitude any job worth doing is worth doing well, but then gave up after cleaning the child lock and front two switches as the back ones seemed to work fine, the child lock was dirty hence the switches in the back door not working, anyone else thinking about doing this i highly recommend using some of those ear cleaner things dipped in a bit of metho, works wonders,

i noticed a hole worn into one of the contact points on the front two windows which i couldnt clean properly, im guessing this might have something to do with them still struggling a bit to go up, either that or the rubbers sticking to them,

is it safe to assume this is the same sort of deal to the courtesy lights? because me lights tend to come on when they want to and not when you want them to, although the back ones dont work at all
Old 25-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #11
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
btw does anyone know how to remove the cruise control and volume switches on either side of the steering wheel,
Air bag needs to come out and then switches can be accessed.

Info here:- http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1&page=1&pp=25
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 05:13 PM   #12
AU1monty
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
Air bag needs to come out and then switches can be accessed.

Info here:- http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1&page=1&pp=25
if the airbags already gone off could you just rip it out and access the switches that way