Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 07:03 PM   #61
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder whether his attitude would different if that Gen Y person who killed themself was his best friend? I'd love to hear the eulogy he'd deliver.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:04 PM   #62
FBT002
Starter Motor

love the artical.. finally someone in the media group talking sense.
The gov over here in WA are speed and 'hoon' obsesed! They have even gotten the media on side adding to the hype. The media and gov over here are certain that speed is the biggest killer on the roads. :

There seams to be little concern for the real problems: driver fatigue, drink driving and just plain stupidity. Speed and poorly worded 'hoon' laws are great money makers and thats all the gov here are intested in :(
Old 07-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #63
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
I am gen Y, held a job since I was 14 and 9 months, parents could have bought me a new car and didnt, had to learn the value of money myself, I know alot of Gen Y's who fit into the same bracket as me so don't give me that crap about them being lazy/living at home/slobs of the universe.. its the same crap every generation seems to cop from the one before them, has NOTHING to do with the original topic and makes you look like a moron for having a cheap shot. Either get your facts straight or don't bother commenting.

as for stats young people have had a nack for killing themselves since before we had cars reaching 100mph, its called being inexperienced and having the need to go fast no matter what your driving/riding.

every generation has its morons, I deal with them on a daily basis in my work *yes WORK* but I don't make sweeping generalisations because I realise not everyone is from the same mould.
Hey, Welcome to the club, I'm GenY I've been working since I was 15 and I own a 2009 model car my parents didn't pay for. In fact, if I'm lucky I'll be starting my second job soon and have both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
EDIT: aplogies Damo seems like i posted after you put up your response....it was a joke. Still, bit of a sick joke even for my sense of humour....
No problems, I've got a dark sense of humour at times.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:14 PM   #64
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
No, its called time and place.

There isn’t an English definition of HOON, its slang; hell even American spell check hates the word.

HOON was never a word for speeding/skids/drift, but it seems even if you take it to the track the media call it hooning ....

According to my reference books, it is an Oz/NZ word dating back to the 1930's that means guess what.... :voldar02:
Old 07-02-2010, 07:17 PM   #65
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Sorry UNR8D, I didn't realise you didn't catch that I'm a Gen-Y myself.

I'm not an older guy looking down upon the younger idiots.

I am as you described also, working since I was young. But the statistics still count.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:26 PM   #66
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

SCUD, yes stats still count, but all they show is that young people take risks you do that when you are young, some don't grow out of it, some do, some are luckier than others with the outcomes of situations.

I didnt mean to have a personal dig at you, but it beyond annoys me how media and older generations always seem to have a go with out considering that there are a majority of GEN Y who do have a brain and who DO use it. Media portrays what it wants to regarding what HYPE they want to create this week, sorry to be on the defensive but its one thing I wont lie down and take is that we are all lazy and uneducated budging on society, I have stats to show that there are more baby boomers on centrelink then there is GEN Y hence why I had a go back.

like I said derro's in every bunch, some will make a life, some choose not to but what ever you do please dont give them fuel to add to the fire :P

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
Old 07-02-2010, 07:28 PM   #67
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
According to my reference books, it is an Oz/NZ word dating back to the 1930's that means guess what.... :voldar02:
that we have a difference of opinion, congratulations do you want a medal or a chest to pin it on?

Old 07-02-2010, 07:31 PM   #68
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
Gee, I wonder what sort of Gen X and Baby Boomers gave birth, raised and influenced these horrible little Gen Ys?

I am Gen Y and I find some of the comments on here quite offensive. After all, we could sit here and generalise YOUR generation all day. Think for a moment and realise it is individuals from ANY birth year.
Have a chat with a huge number of your generation, (note I did not say most or majoriy) and you will see why members of my generation seem to (in your eyes) generalise, I find it totally offensive how a huge number,(again, note I didn't say most, or majotrity) of your generation seem to think it's your god given right to carry on the way the way a huge number( .....) of you do.
Once you realise that it's not all about you, and the world doesn't owe you a damn thing, we may see some more of you make it through to the stage where you will be an "old man" like me with little time for a huge......
Old 07-02-2010, 07:46 PM   #69
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71
Have a chat with a huge number of your generation, (note I did not say most or majoriy) and you will see why members of my generation seem to (in your eyes) generalise, I find it totally offensive how a huge number,(again, note I didn't say most, or majotrity) of your generation seem to think it's your god given right to carry on the way the way a huge number( .....) of you do.
Once you realise that it's not all about you, and the world doesn't owe you a damn thing, we may see some more of you make it through to the stage where you will be an "old man" like me with little time for a huge......
While your at it, have a chat to, as you call it, a huge number of your generation. I find it offensive that youre more than willing to complain (yes complain, something Gen Y could only learn from the best) about something that your generation has been doing long before we were born. In your so called huge numbers . Once you realise that just because youre older, it doesnt make you any more right than someone in my age group. Obviously growing up is still optional.

It also really brings into light just how many of your generation were responsible role models when we were growing up, after all the apple doesnt fall far from the tree right?

Last edited by SSD-85; 07-02-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #70
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
While your at it, have a chat to, as you call it, a huge number of your generation. I find it offensive that youre more than willing to complain (yes complain, something Gen Y could only learn from the best) about something that your generation has been doing long before we were born. In your so called huge numbers . Once you realise that just because youre older, it doesnt make you any more right than someone in my age group. Obviously growing up is still optional.

It also really brings into light just how many of your generation were responsible role models when we were growing up, after all the apple doesnt fall far from the tree right?
The first part of your reply is ,quite frankly, illegible.
Second part I can relate to. In all these threads I advocate for parents to stand up and take resposibility for how their children turn out.
Math alone dictates that last generations morons will produce exponentially more morons as the generations pass.
The common thread running through all generations though is (up till now)most,the majority(note I did say most, majority) know the difference between right and wrong.
I wonder where gen y got that from.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #71
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

so take credit for the 'good' and distance yourself from the bad traits... you cant have the outcome without having a reason or cause, and in the same instance you cant just accept the good that has come out of raising gen Y and then dismiss the bad as just 'bad apples' you, media*unfortunately*, work/school, governments all have an impact as to how our lives are lived, if we stopped the focus on helping the ones who cant help themselfs and stopped punishing those who do well we might have a nation who grew up/grows up wanting to become something for themselfs, at present the more I earn the more I get fisted, I don't like living in squalla or living with my folks although I love them dearly so I do what I have to to make like work for me.

pitty some seem to have a view that because we aren't on the verge of going senile that we are all young and stupid.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:26 PM   #72
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:

1: The first part of your reply is ,quite frankly, illegible.

2: Second part I can relate to. In all these threads I advocate for parents to stand up and take resposibility for how their children turn out.

3:Math alone dictates that last generations morons will produce exponentially more morons as the generations pass.

4:The common thread running through all generations though is (up till now)most,the majority(note I did say most, majority) know the difference between right and wrong.
I wonder where gen y got that from.
1: As legible as yours mate, I still managed.
2: Then why on earth are you and me having this conversation? If thats how you feel then you complaining about Gen Ys behaviour is a moot point
3: Obviously, but it had to start somewhere, accept the actions of your generation and you may not find yourself complaining about the few and moronic in ours
4: Of course! What you have said there is indicative of how Gen Y is full of well behaved people, the trouble is nobody talks about good people. Its more fun to promote/sensationalise the ways of losers. Which all im saying is present in ALL generations.

My original post was never intended to offend. I thought this to be true since I never shot back with observations about previous Gens in it until you felt it necessary to tell me I should talk to my fellow Gen Ys. And discover to my horror that loads of them are naughty. If we (in my eyes apparently) generalised about things other than behaviours of age groups, a LOT of people would be upset. A good example is what our indigenous population gets up to. NOT to start on that though.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #73
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

cmon guys - let's calm things down here, lest we need close another thread.
General warning - Personal insults, and anti social postings will not be tolerated. Respect each others right to their own opinions....
Old 07-02-2010, 08:43 PM   #74
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is one major difference between Gen Y and previous generations. (I'm Gen X). When I was a teenager, and doing stupid things in cars, there was no internet for people to post their opinions on.

My generation did stupid things in cars, The Generation before me did stupid things, and so it goes on up through the generations.

And always the older generation frowns upon the younger generation.

I think we all need to remember this before we start stereotyping everybody. A hoon is a hoon, regardless of his generation.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:44 PM   #75
Robbie's_BA
Robbie's_BA

heated argument much? i have to agree with the majority, us gen y's are lazy to all hell, most have no respect for money cause there parents have already done the hard work, we are reckless on the roads, but in the bigger picture wasn't everyone stupid when younger?? only difference is now that we have bigger access to bigger power, as much as i hate the p plate laws i love them, its ******** i cant drive my mates v8's or turbo cars, but just means im less likely to do dum ******** on the road... but im sure most of you can agree that its apart of growing up, but there is always a time and place for it..
but i think most people in this thread need to calm down on us gen y's! its never highlighted how many older people crash? only when the under 25's do...

2004 ba falcon ute xls dark metalic red she's my baby

Buy my wheels

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11287723
Old 07-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #76
Robbie's_BA
Robbie's_BA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
There is one major difference between Gen Y and previous generations. (I'm Gen X). When I was a teenager, and doing stupid things in cars, there was no internet for people to post their opinions on.

My generation did stupid things in cars, The Generation before me did stupid things, and so it goes on up through the generations.

I think we all need to remember this before we start stereotyping everybody. A hoon is a hoon, regardless of his generation.
THIS x2 cept the gen x bit

2004 ba falcon ute xls dark metalic red she's my baby

Buy my wheels

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11287723
Old 07-02-2010, 08:51 PM   #77
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8

Someone give this man a beer. If not then I will.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on this.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:55 PM   #78
sxckevo
Ford motor company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie's_BA
THIS x2 cept the gen x bit
OMG this is exactly what i think as well. my old man reckons it was worse in his day, draging, doing burnouts etc. im not saying its right at all but im sure all the police, politicians, public all were 'hoons' back in the day as well

WORK CAR: RED 1996 manual XG ute
Old 07-02-2010, 09:05 PM   #79
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
In QLD you need a QLD drivers license to transfer rego into your name and if you do not transfer the rego then the car will not have plates and the dealer will not let you drive it away....
I think you are wrong , my wife owns several Qld rego cars and does NOT have a qld license but she did have to prove residency
Anyone including a none driver can buy and own a car
Old 07-02-2010, 09:09 PM   #80
sxckevo
Ford motor company

Quote:
grandpa i didn't know you were on ford forums?

WORK CAR: RED 1996 manual XG ute
Old 07-02-2010, 09:22 PM   #81
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Wasted breath here, another thread can go to bed.
Closed Thread