Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-02-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
XR6SQ

Default Flooding AU111 Ute!

HI guys

Pretty sure this is my first post in the forums, and unfortunately its a sad one.
Now i know there has been a few threads about water leaks in the AU recently but mine seemed different to the ones i read.

A couple of days ago I started smelling a stench, like many before me I thought I had left some old takeaway under the seat. But to my alarm when i went feeling for a quarter pounder wrapper all i got was a hand full of wetness!!

There is now a pool of water behind the drivers seat (PS i own an AU111 XR6 ute) that seems to be pretty big, although it doesnt appear to have made it much further then mid way under the seat.

Any ideas where this water is coming from? and how it can be fixed??

Im sick at the moment so was just getting some hints and tips as i don't really wanna go play outside while its raining.

Thanks all.

XR6SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 11:31 PM   #2
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll have two guesses and say either the rear window or the steering column/pedal box/firewall area(which is a common issue, search this section for drivers feet getting wet or similar, and you will find a couple of threads about it), with the rear screen, its more a common(ish) fault with the P250 utes, check the Tickford Vehicles section for more info on that one, ask for FTe342(aka GrandpaT)

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 11:52 PM   #3
XR6SQ

Cheers for the suggestions mate.

I don't think its the usual steering column/pedal box/firewall problem (I have had a few drops come through the dash onto my feet but only in HEAVY rain.

This water I didn't notice leaking in until it started to smell, plus it was all located behind the drivers seat, the front carpet was not even wet, i will check out the rear and quater windows for leaks tomorrow.

Is there anywhere around the B pillars it could leak in?
Old 18-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
XR6SQ

alright, pulled all the rear interior and carpet pieces out and did some spray tests.

It appears that its leaking fromthe ledge below the rear window. I think it may be getting in from the air vent looking things that lead outside between the tray and cab.

anyone had this problem?? soultions?

I have been going silicon crazy on anything i think could leak so will try and get some around the vents.
Old 18-02-2010, 03:09 PM   #5
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6SQ
Cheers for the suggestions mate.

I don't think its the usual steering column/pedal box/firewall problem (I have had a few drops come through the dash onto my feet but only in HEAVY rain.

This water I didn't notice leaking in until it started to smell, plus it was all located behind the drivers seat, the front carpet was not even wet, i will check out the rear and quater windows for leaks tomorrow.
my back drivers side foot well was filling up with water, all i could find was a rusted weld under the window wipers, i fixed that up and it hasn't leaked since... the water might have a path to the back some how..? my front carpet wasnt wet at all either...

2015 SZ MkII Ford Territory TS
Aero Blue, RWD Petrol, Standard Sat Nav.

2013 TF Ford Kuga Ambiente
Panther Black, AWD, 6 Speed Auto, 1.6lt ecoBoost Turbo Petrol.

Was
2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock...

2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Gun Metal Grey, Lumpy Straight 6
fourl6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2010, 04:52 PM   #6
XR6SQ

hmm you scared me fourl6, so i just went and siliconed up the spot welds under the wiper motor.

Hopefully that will save the ECU, although im still concerned about the water coming through the back.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:24 PM   #7
XR6SQ

Just to update this.

I Did a lot of spraying of the hose and found small amounts of water coming in through the rear firewall, not exactly sure if it was the window or what.

But I did a fair bit of silicon work on anything that looked like it could leak, this meant all the seams on the rear firewall, and even around the grommets on the B-pillar.
I also used some expanda foam in the cavity below the rear window.

As per other threads i decided to pull the wiper motors out and siliconed up the dodgy spot welds as well.

The result? after a bit of rain no more water, but the first real heavy rain is occuring as we speak, so I will know if the problem is fixed for sure tomorrow morning when I head to work.

cheers for any advice and tips guys.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:13 AM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Just make sure you don't drive in Melbourne - almost guaranteed to flood down there ATM.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post