Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #31
dippy1
Starter Motor

No, going up it happens pretty well at beginning of the incline and coming down it just slides. So concrete would be better with or without the aggregate, do you think?
dippy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 06:09 PM   #32
eMpTy
Low, Loud & Black

Looking at those pics, hitting the driveway with a pressure washer would be a good start.
Ours used to look just as black, hit it with the karcher using a cutting tip and it came up bright white, exposed the ag alot more and gave it alot more grip.
eMpTy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 06:17 PM   #33
dippy1
Starter Motor

did you have the same problem? It is so annoying. We are going to try that first up, if that fails will work through the list, lol.
Old 14-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #34
rodderz

Looking at the pics it's exposed aggregate concrete, probably an older one. It's because the stones it it being round, smooth and exposed that makes it slippery. If it were normal stipple finished or troweled conc it probably wouldn't be as bad.

I would still suggest a few sawcuts on the slipperier sections, after a very good clean with a cleaner for road grime and mould, and also a pressure washer. At depends on how much you want to outlay to fix the problem.
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 06:42 PM   #35
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what brand tyres are on it? that driveway doesn't look too bad as far as the surface goes. the tyres might have good tread on them, but they might be old or cheap nasty ones. i wouldn't have thought you would have any trouble getting up and down there
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 06:59 PM   #36
dippy1
Starter Motor

Well rodderz, we do have to fix the problem as the car can't stay on the street. So we will try your suggestion after the drive has been cleaned. Also, the tyres are probably cheap ones as the car came from a car yard and they don't give too much away. Although, I have to admit the guys have been great. We also bought the taurus from them and never had a complaint. They are also trying to figure out what we can do with the drive.
Old 14-03-2010, 07:54 PM   #37
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

your drive looks to allready have a grippy surface , obviously its not in the wet, perhaps some non slip coating on the drive would be the go, there are some very good coatings around, in a factory i worked for many years ago we had a non slip epoxy coating good enough to drive fork lifts over it was also acid proof,it might be worth a look.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 08:01 PM   #38
dippy1
Starter Motor

gosh, that sound good too!! I have been given so many great ideas today and am so grateful but, where to start??
Thank you,
Lynn.
Old 14-03-2010, 09:17 PM   #39
craigr1801
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I,ve been in the concrete idustry 25 yrs and seen this before,The surface may look suitable but you have a mixture of round quartz exposed aggregate and crap on the surface and when wet would be like running on marbles
You need to remove the latence from the surface by either acid etching (watch the plants) or a good washing down with a high pressure washer.
craigr1801 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 09:43 PM   #40
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dippy1
here are some photos of the drive, hope they are clear enough :eclipsee_
Yep, that looks like the same type I have. Although I only have a very short steep bit.

Looks nice but even trying to walk on it when wet is exciting

I think Rodderz and craigr1801 have the right idea.
Old 14-03-2010, 10:01 PM   #41
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Damn that is an evil driveway, not much room for error!

My suggestion is to put a heavy duty bull bar on the front with a winch.

Problem solved!
Old 15-03-2010, 02:38 AM   #42
skelly

Quote:
here are some photos of the drive, hope they are clear enough :eclipsee_
well id suggest buying a crane
skelly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2010, 10:18 PM   #43
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

move house
Old 16-03-2010, 01:24 PM   #44
illusivedreams

Had the same problem on my Au.

Go for Bigger tyres 225 -235 in the rears.
LSD will definetly help as you will have an extra wheel pushing 2 insted of 1.

Also replace your rear shocks to stiffen up the rear as this will help stop the car from giving an easier path of resistance to the slipping wheel.

Do all 3 you will get up the driveway no problems,

Your surface is also a slipper one so consider coating with a send mix or tactile tiles.
K&N Panel Filter
FG XR6 17" Rims 245/45-17 tyres
XR6T Snorkle
BA front Caliper Conversion 300mm With Bendix Heavy Duty Pads
Tow bar
Transmission Cooler
illusivedreams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #45
illusivedreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigr1801
I,ve been in the concrete idustry 25 yrs and seen this before,The surface may look suitable but you have a mixture of round quartz exposed aggregate and crap on the surface and when wet would be like running on marbles
You need to remove the latence from the surface by either acid etching (watch the plants) or a good washing down with a high pressure washer.

+1 on top of my comments :
K&N Panel Filter
FG XR6 17" Rims 245/45-17 tyres
XR6T Snorkle
BA front Caliper Conversion 300mm With Bendix Heavy Duty Pads
Tow bar
Transmission Cooler
illusivedreams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2010, 04:09 PM   #46
rosebush

Quote:
We have a 2001 Au11 with dedicated LPG. We bought the car a week ago and love it BUT we have a short steep (about 45 deg) driveway and the car will not go up it in the wet!!! When we park the car at the top of the drive when it's dry we can't get down again if it rains. We have been advised to put a Limited Slip Diff in but we are unsure if this will work.
Any suggestions please? :
I had the same problem with my car...only worked with more weight even then it kept spinning so gave up
rosebush is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #47
troystanton78
IR84RD

i'm a concrete cutter, the saw cuts would probably work but it would be costly unless you know someone with a saw
Old 19-03-2010, 07:07 PM   #48
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Rotten slippery crap that exposed aggregate is.
To look at it you would think it looks really grippy, but when wet its the total opposite.
Even walking on wet aggregate with any kind of decent slope can cause people to slip and fall over.
The stuff is dangerous an shouldnt be allowed to be laid on steep driveways IMHO.

Id be looking at some non slip methods like the aformentioned acid washing the surface to roughen it up. But this will make the surface rougher when walked on in bare feet.
Or if the place is yours an not a rental an you can afford it, rip it up and re do it all, and add some camber in the fall of the driveway on any corners that look slippery when wet and see if you can soften the incline angles at all with some re-contouring of the profile. Id probly also look at a rough surface bitumen too.

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post