Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-08-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default A toyota I would buy.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/10/r...morate-naruse/

Quote:
Report: Toyota considering RWD hatch to commemorate Naruse

by Zach Bowman (RSS feed) on Aug 10th 2010 at 1:01PM

We see plenty of rumors crop up on the interwebs, but we've rarely wanted any of them to come true as badly as this particular juicy morsel. The crew at Autocar reports that Toyota wants to build a new model to honor its former chief test driver, Hiromu Naruse. Naruse recently passed away in an a collision while testing the Lexus LFA at the Nürburgring. If the whispers are true, the car won't be a badge-job for the Camry. According to reports, Naruse always wanted to see Toyota produce an inexpensive, rear-wheel drive coupe that was affordable enough for the little guys of the world to be able to hop into the driver's seat.

If you're thinking there's no way that Toyota will suddenly jump into the small rear-wheel drive market with not one, but two new products, think again. Autocar reports that the inexpensive two-door will slot below the sexy FT-86 and will be based off of the GRMN Aigo Hot Hatch Concept we saw at this year's Tokyo Auto Salon. That particular concept got its grunt from a Daihatsu 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine. More importantly, it rocked a double-wishbone rear suspension and swapped its front-wheel drive layout for a rear-driven arrangement. If the rumors are to be believed, we could see the car in 2012, just slightly ahead of the FT-86.

[Source: Autocar]
Old 11-08-2010, 11:13 PM   #2
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...810-11vxl.html

Quote:
Toyota plans pocket rocket
RICHARD BLACKBURN
August 10, 2010

Toyota is reportedly developing a two-door hot hatch to complement its new FT-86 sports car.

Toyota is reportedly developing a low-cost, rear-wheel-drive, two-door hot hatch to inject some much-needed excitement into its passenger car range.

Respected British motoring publication Autocar says the pocket rocket is being made as a tribute to former head test driver Hiromu Naruse, who was killed in a recent road accident near Germany's famed Nurburgring test track.

The car, which was previewed as the GRMN Hot Hatch Concept at Tokyo's Auto Salon motor show in January this year, was a pet project of Naruse's.

If it reaches full-scale production, the car is expected to slot in as an affordable alternative to the FT-86 rear-drive sports car being jointly developed by Toyota and Subaru.

It is based on the Toyota Aygo small car, which shares its underpinnings with Peugeot's 107 and Citroen's C1. The Aygo, which is slightly smaller than a Toyota Yaris, isn't available in Australia at the moment, but that won't preclude the hot hatch from consideration by Toyota Australia.

The local operation recently began importing the boxy-looking Rukus to appeal to a younger audience and will follow early next year with the retro-styled FJ Cruiser, which looks like a scaled-down Hummer.

Autocar says the hot hatch will be powered by a Daihatsu-sourced 1.5-litre engine and should weigh less than 1000kg. The magazine says it could sell in the United Kingdom for roughly £10,000 ($17,000), which could translate to a mid-$20,000 price tag Down Under.

The report says the car could be on the road by 2012.

Toyota's racier product plans apparently don't stop with the FT-86 and the hot hatch, though. Overseas reports suggest the company's boss, Akio Toyoda, is keen to resurrect the Supra nameplate.

Toyoda, a racing enthusiast who has competed at the Nurburgring 24-hour race in a Lexus, told reporters in Japan recently that he wanted to see a Supra development program launched soon.

If it gets the nod, the next Supra is expected to be powered by a V6 hybrid engine, with styling similar to the FT-HS concept revealed at the 2007 Detroit motor show.

Reports of a Supra revival have gained momentum with news that the company has re-registered the name as a trademark in the United States.

PICS
Old 12-08-2010, 09:39 AM   #3
Fled74
The Thread Killa

It'd be nice if they resurrected the RWD Trueno AE86 (the last of the rear-drive Corollas). It's become a cult car in the last few years.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

It may be my age, that car isn't to my liking at all....the styling is

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
It may be my age, that car isn't to my liking at all....the styling is
agreed! Back later, I have to go puke!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #6
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Mid 20's price tag, 180ish hp and RWD. I'm not really fussed about the styling.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:07 PM   #7
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
Mid 20's price tag, 180ish hp and RWD. I'm not really fussed about the styling.

Hahaha same...didn't even look at the styling. But yeah it isn't the best...but dam that car would be fun.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

I think that they are being a bit opportunistic with Naruse's death and this thing was already in the works.

Hopefully it'll be good I can remember thinking that the Aus Sprinter would be a good thing with an engine transplant when it first came around back in the 80's
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2010, 06:51 PM   #9
JimNiki
71Mach1

I'm a big man and I only like driving big cars...not shoe boxes...
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
JimNiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2010, 09:24 PM   #10
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FT-86: Love it and i want one. I've been lookin at the progress of this since it was announced
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2010, 10:08 PM   #11
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like crap.
What happened to the RWD coupe toyota were gonna make???
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post