Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #1
2002xr6

Default woman "heads off" for a horse ride (hehe)

"A British woman had to pick her own head up off the ground after badly breaking her neck in a horrific fall from a horse, according to reports.

The Daily Express newspaper reports that 26-year-old Thea Maxfield suffered a horrific "hangman's fracture" - a clean break of her upper cervical vertebra - after she was bucked six metres into the air in the accident.

After she fell off the horse Ms Maxfield tried to get out of the animal's way, but found that when she moved her head stayed where it was.

Advertisement: Story continues below
She was forced to cup her hands around her head and lift it back into place to avoid damaging her spinal cord after her vertebrae shattered.

"I had to literally pick my head up and carry it in my hands. I didn't have much hope of a recovery," she told the newspaper.

Doctors initially warned she would be paralysed and have to spend the rest of her life in a wheelchair.

But seven months after the fall she is back in the saddle, thanks to revolutionary technology developed for Formula 1 racing.

Ms Maxfield was fitted with a special head brace connected to a computer, which used sensors to assess the strength and weakness of her neck.

The same technology is used to monitor elite racing cars to assess steering, suspension and air-flow factors affecting performance."

ooouuuuucccchhhhhh!!!!!

2010 xr50 turbo manual with the works!
2002xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
fmc351
let it burn

While stranger things have happend, Im not even sure thats possible. All I can see now is one of those bobblehead toys
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 03:50 PM   #3
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
While stranger things have happend, Im not even sure thats possible. All I can see now is one of those bobblehead toys
Hahaha BOBBLE BOBBLE BOBBLE
K&N panel filter - XR6T Snorkel - F6 Typhoon CAI - BFXR6T 17inch Rims - RDA Slotted Rotors- Kings SL Front, SSL rear - XR shocks - Straight-through rear muffler - Blue Dash Conversion - Premium Sound Speakers - Colour-coded mirror scalps - 3.45:1 Diff Gears - Leather interior - Premium 6-stack colour ICC

FOR SALE - PM for details

Build Thread
seedywagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
3vXT

If that is true she is pretty lucky.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Fatty Vauton head wobble...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #6
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Thats messed up!!
Old 29-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #7
buggo
[BU66OS]

That can't be true can it? If your neck broke that bad wouldn't that be it? If it is true though, picking up your head would be pretty freaky. But...

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #8
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

assuming you manage to break your spine without severing the spinal cord, how would you be able to get up and run while holding your own head while handling the excruciating pain.

I call bullsh!t

What a stupid story.
Headlights don't work in your B Series? Here's how to fix it!
martinijosh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2010, 07:22 PM   #9
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if doctors said she was going to be paralysed from the neck down then her arms wouldn't have been working to pick up her head? what a stupid story
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2010, 11:08 PM   #10
Brendo_GSUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the second she moved (provided she actually did get flung 6M in the air and only break her neck) her spinal chord would of broke not to mention been cut by broken bones in her neck as the actual chord sits in a kind of conduit in the spine. The spinal chord is like toothpaste in texture, its not elastic nor stretchable.

If this story is true ill eat my own head.
Brendo_GSUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 12:26 AM   #11
Rich@NDRS
Starter Motor

something is not quite right about this story, dosent sound possible to me.
Rich@NDRS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 10:25 AM   #12
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Whilst I too have doubts about the story, it's possible I guess, not likely, but still possible.

I know a lady who was conceived and born to a mother, who had no womb, so I guess this is possible then!

Fact is indeed very often stranger than fiction!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 10:52 AM   #13
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Send the story into mythbusters.....Adam and Jamie will figure out some way to blow things up.
Old 30-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #14
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

UK NEWS

HORROR FALL RIDER SAVED BY MOTOR RACING WHIZZKIDS

Thea Maxfield with her horse

Tuesday October 26,2010
By Daily Express Reporter
A WOMAN who broke her neck after being thrown from her horse is back in the saddle because of pioneering technology used in Formula One motor racing.
Thea Maxfield, 26, suffered an horrific “hangman’s fracture” when she was bucked 20ft into the air and landed on her head.
As she struggled to get up, Thea had to support her head in her hands to avoid damaging her spinal cord after her vertebrae shattered.
She explained: “I had to literally pick my head up and carry it in my hands. I didn’t have much hope of a recovery.”
* WIN A LUXURY LONG WEEKEND FOR TWO IN CAIRO!!! INCLUDES BA CLUB CLASS FLIGHTS, FIVE STAR ACCOMMODATION AND £1,000 SPENDING MONEY! *
At first doctors warned she might have to spend the rest of her life in a wheelchair. But amazingly Thea – after initial treatment to repair her vertebrae – was back riding again within seven months thanks to technology from the world of Grand Prix racing.
Thea became one of the first ever patients to be fitted with a special head brace connected to a computer.
Tiny sensors, which normally measure the force and stresses of an F1 car at high speed, were used to assess the strength and weakness of Thea’s neck.
This information allowed pioneering physiotherapist Don Gatherer to tailor an exercise routine to ensure her neck healed at the perfect rate.
The £6,000 TGP Analysis device normally monitors steering wheel, suspension and air-flow factors.
But Don, of Aylesbury, Bucks, developed it to treat top sportsmen. He said: “The data enables us to create a safe training programme whilst ensuring forces exerting on the muscle during training are within guidelines.” Thea, who runs a stud farm in Bicester, Oxfordshire, suffered her life-threatening injury while riding her dressage horse Thiorella last October.
Old 30-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #15
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

What a lovely filly
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #16
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
What a lovely filly
Which one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 30-10-2010, 03:11 PM   #17
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Which one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The shorter "headless" one
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2010, 12:40 AM   #18
sdoylie

sdoylie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2010, 12:52 AM   #19
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its happend before -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQslnmcHOeM

Skip to about 1:10 if you want to get straight to it
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2010, 01:15 AM   #20
Scott

Ah yeah, I remember when this happened. The link below is to a pic taken on the day of her accident - not pasted as a pic as it is a little disturbing.
http://www.nerdbanite.com/wp-content...d-fall-off.jpg
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2010, 09:33 AM   #21
3vXT

I would carry her head around all day.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post