Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 21-06-2010, 11:17 PM   #1
Skid Marx

Default LV Series Focus XR5 Gearbox seems Slow

Just bought a new LV series XR5 which is my first ever Ford and I'm mighty impressed. And I took some convincing too because I've always had a bias against Fords (I was badly brought up!).

Anyway, the last manual car I had was rather a while ago - it was ancient three-on-the-tree Kingswood and it took nearly 3 seconds to change from 1st to 2nd no matter what you did. Having grown sick to death of autos since then, I was determined to get a manual this time (with XR5 that's all you get) and just pick the gear yourself to suit the traffic conditions ahead.

My only disappointment is that shifting from 1st to 2nd always seems 'stiff' or slow, while the other changes are much quicker. I'm in the habit of quickly lifting off the clutch between up changes to help bring the speeds closer together, but 1st to 2nd just seems awfully slow. I often go from 1st to 3rd anyway now except when it's uphill.

Does anyone else here feel the same about this? The car is only 3 weeks old and has only done 600ks so maybe it just needs to be wear in - but I thought synchros were never better than when new. I'm in Perth, and we've had a few fairly cool mornings which I know makes the oil thicker and causes drag in the box, but this still happens after half an hour or so.

Skid Marx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 11:31 PM   #2
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It'll come good mate.

You'll notice that both the engine and gearbox will free up a lot during run in and the first few thousand K's
Old 22-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
Skid Marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
It'll come good mate.

You'll notice that both the engine and gearbox will free up a lot during run in and the first few thousand K's
Ah thanks - that's something to look forward to and it gives me an excuse to take it out more often. By the way, the 5 cylinder donk in this is the best motor I've ever experienced. So much torque is a joy. But naturally, as with everything I like, I hear they've stopped making it!
Old 22-06-2010, 12:29 PM   #4
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's right mate, and whilst you should have sympathy, it also gives you an excuse to give it some curry

Yeah it is a brilliant engine isn't it.

Once you are ready to start adding a little bit here n there, I highly recommend you jump onto fordxr5turbo.com and join the forum, introduce yourself and have a look around.
Old 22-06-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

G'day Skid Marx,

As one of the newer XR5 owners here, i can tell you that the gearbox def loosens up. I've just clicked over 8000kms and 1st to 2nd change is alot smoother. You'll find it a bit stiff and tough to get a smooth change at first. I found that if i change with higher revs coming out of 1st, it makes going into 2nd soooo much easier

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 11:07 AM   #6
Skid Marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR5-Boy
G'day Skid Marx,

(snip)I found that if i change with higher revs coming out of 1st, it makes going into 2nd soooo much easier
Yes, I've been experimenting with changing up from different speeds to try to find the 'right' point.
Old 23-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #7
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

between 2,500-3,000rpm is a pretty good spot
Old 23-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #8
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

great stuff. Once you get used to it, you'll be changing VERY quickly. That's when the fun starts ;)

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2010, 06:05 PM   #9
ian marshall
xr5 fan

Also just buoght an xr5.3 years old but dam....what a nice car.My first ford also.Previously owned holdens but last car was a 99 mazda 323 protege 5 sp.What a difference.The driveability [not to mention the power]of the xr5 is outstanding,once u get used to the blinkers, and some other small things.Have not explored the limits of performance and probably never will.....its like an original cooper s on sterriods.......
ian marshall is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 03:05 PM   #10
ian marshall
xr5 fan

Default xr5..too

Ive just bought an .07.xr5.My first ford also.allways had holdens except last car which was .99.mazda 323 protege.good little car but no guts.had to rev titts off to get anywhere...n then there were hills.Used to own an lj torana,fully worked,tripple su"s n the lot.The xr5 would blow the doors off it no worries.Cant believe the torque.U can dawdle round in 3rd and it pulls away from1500 rpm.Havnt explored limits of handling yet,probly wont[am 55 y o]........just luvit...........
Old 06-09-2010, 05:52 PM   #11
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
between 2,500-3,000rpm is a pretty good spot
5000rpm works well too
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #12
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds good too ;)
Old 02-03-2011, 12:22 PM   #13
ian marshall
xr5 fan

Default 1st to 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid Marx
Just bought a new LV series XR5 which is my first ever Ford and I'm mighty impressed. And I took some convincing too because I've always had a bias against Fords (I was badly brought up!).

Anyway, the last manual car I had was rather a while ago - it was ancient three-on-the-tree Kingswood and it took nearly 3 seconds to change from 1st to 2nd no matter what you did. Having grown sick to death of autos since then, I was determined to get a manual this time (with XR5 that's all you get) and just pick the gear yourself to suit the traffic conditions ahead.

My only disappointment is that shifting from 1st to 2nd always seems 'stiff' or slow, while the other changes are much quicker. I'm in the habit of quickly lifting off the clutch between up changes to help bring the speeds closer together, but 1st to 2nd just seems awfully slow. I often go from 1st to 3rd anyway now except when it's uphill.

Does anyone else here feel the same about this? The car is only 3 weeks old and has only done 600ks so maybe it just needs to be wear in - but I thought synchros were never better than when new. I'm in Perth, and we've had a few fairly cool mornings which I know makes the oil thicker and causes drag in the box, but this still happens after half an hour or so.
I bought an 07 xr5 about six months ago and luv it.Know what you mean about 1-2 shfts.mine same and has 98,000 ks on it.It does change smoother the harder you rev it but not always practical.Ive just got used to changing slow and using the torque of the next gear.Recently did trip to victoria and got 8.5 litres/100ks out of it so quite happy there.11.5 round town but..just cant keep foot off gas.
Only thing i dont like about the car is how low front bumper is.Needs skid plates as my r/hand side is worn through.By the way,my first ford too.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #14
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good stuff Ian Welcome to the family.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #15
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

A lot more people getting into these cars it looks like, they are VERY addictive. Once you mod it gets better.
Click the XR5OC link in my sig
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post