Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #31
Hally

Default Re: Realistic rim sizes...

Quote:
Jim Goose I always cringe when i see 18in and larger rims on "classic" cars, the ride must be truely awful! (not to mention it doesnt suit the car).
I have just gone for 185/75/14's to 225/45/18's on my Mustang and the difference is amazing. The too light steering has firmed up, it has some cornering grip, feels 100% under braking etc. Harly any difference in the ride as it is fairly compliant anyway.

However, if it wasn't a weekender I would have gone for 17's.
Hally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #32
Thornie
Off smelting

On my EL i had my 15 inch simmon's wheels and it felt like i was driving a boat, when i got my 18's it made the car much nicer to drive. i barely even noticed much difference in ride.
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2011, 09:44 PM   #33
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudszy
Tradies with utes that have tyres that look like they dont even inflate with a bee's dick of ground clearance? practical? take one on a building site?
done it and its fine, most building sites arnt the mud bogged hilly mess most people think they are
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2011, 11:27 PM   #34
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome
done it and its fine, most building sites arnt the mud bogged hilly mess most people think they are

Careful what you write SUDSZY might want to use it for some sort of court proceedings.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2011, 11:29 PM   #35
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

There is no comparing smaller width tyres to wider width tyres. Of course the car is going to handle a little better. More rubber on the road.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2011, 11:50 PM   #36
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I think whatever wheel the 'base model' has is the best 'all round' wheel.

So, if I were the owner of a large sedan, the largest I would go would be 17-18 inches, medium sized car, 15-16 inches and 14-15 inches for a small car.

When I had the Festiva, I did 200,000km on its 14 inch wheels and drove through and over some very rough stuff. Never had a wobble or a bend in the rims. I did go up from the standard 60 series to 65 series for the little bit of extra sidewall meat, and a great price drop in rubber.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 12:01 AM   #37
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

When the rims get too big, they'll just go with a taller tyre to suit. They're about due for a change on Falcon and can already take a 245/35/30 tyre on the front. Mustang and Camaro are already doing 45 profile tyres on a 20in rim, where a VE Commodore would use a 35 profile and a BF wouldnt be able to go over 30. I think Taurus also uses the larger profiles on 20in wheels.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 12:41 AM   #38
Booma
The NoBoost Turbo

I went from 19" back to 17" on my BA (purely for cost saving on tires), and the pickup on handling actually surprised me.

Have gone back up to 18's now, but won't be going any bigger (not as a daily driver anyways)

Had the same experience on my old XF. Was running 17's on it, which were good, but then dropped back to 15" (wanted to go more old school), and the feel of the car improved dramatically.

Guess most cars come standard with certain size rims for a very good reason ;) :P
2004 mk2 BA XR6T - Winter White, De Spoilered and De Badged, 6 Speed Manual, DBA Slotted Front Rotors, King SL Front, SSL Rears, K&N Filter, F6 lower intake, Bog Stock Engine, 19" FPV Silver Argents, Hektik Black Bonnet

Strap Yourself in and Feel the G's
Booma is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post