Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 27-08-2011, 03:48 AM   #121
ego gtp
Club Moderator
Donating Member3

Default Re: Are older (but high end) cars classy and cool or embarrassing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke
i'll go along with that. its a personal thing and some people mightn't get it.
I real like those old mercs, i reckon a nice looked after one is cool,and i would own one. euro cars always seem to have good leather enteriors. my personal faverate is a 928 s4 porsche which in its day was a good sports car. today, maybe 20- 30k and its mine. if your ok with a spanner you can maintain it yourself and save a packet.
my dad had wanted one of those new but could not afford 200+k for one he bought one 12 years ago. it is in mint condition and his pride and joy and one ORSM machine cheers gary
Old 27-08-2011, 03:58 AM   #122
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Each to their own. Classics are classics regardless of who drives them. Be it a 10 year old car, a 15 year old car, it doesn't matter.. forget all of that, if whatever vehicle in your drive way makes you want to drive it and for whatever reason -- it's all good -- and who cares what a kid with a Hulk Hogan inspired user name thinks.
Old 27-08-2011, 06:09 AM   #123
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
Hope you all enjoyed the thread, just a bit of fun for us ford boys to debate. thread obviously came about due to my party experience with the doctor and that guy upnoting himself with his old mercedes that anyone at that party could easily own. im sure most of you see my point.
After reading the whole thread, I don't think so, I believe you might be in a small group of friends on this one. I have to admit that after reading some of your most recent threads you have to be one of the most judgemental people I have come across in respect to cars.
Old 27-08-2011, 07:56 AM   #124
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Quote:
.....due to my party experience with the doctor and
that guy upnoting himself with his old mercedes that anyone at that party
could easily own. im sure most of you see my point.
Whilst this is a kind of interesting/funny thread, there is no real point at all,
based on an eavesdropping experience at a party.
There are a few outstanding issues to this riddle...
a. Who really throws their car keys on a table at a party ?
b. Maybe the 'old Mercedes' bloke has another 3 new ones at home ?
c. Maybe the 'new Merecedes' bloke has another 3 old ones at home ?
d. Maybe they don't even own those Mercs, and they really get around in '89 EA Falcons ?
e. Who says all the people at the people at the party could afford an old Merc ?
f. Maybe they made the whole thing up to gee up the bloke with the XR8 ?

Too many unanswered questions here...
Yep, I watch Columbo....
Old 27-08-2011, 09:27 AM   #125
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

one of the bros has one of those 01?? Audis.. v8 that spins to 8k all the fruit an effin epic limmo...
Old 27-08-2011, 09:36 AM   #126
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Hope you all enjoyed the thread, just a bit of fun for us ford boys to debate. thread obviously came about due to my party experience with the doctor and that guy upnoting himself with his old mercedes that anyone at that party could easily own. im sure most of you see my point.
I can't help but wonder that you are a little insecure and need to announce that you could easily own that car.
I'll bet not one other person was 'worried' about whether they could own that car.
Old 27-08-2011, 10:28 AM   #127
RAPID_BA
Banned

Im not being judgemental im being open minded. I did laugh at the bloke for talking at the doctors level at the party but then I stopped to think, are these cars cool or classy irrespective if they stand up to their modern equivalents or are they embarrassing and worthy of a chuckle due to their wannabe status

Who knows maybe that guy fully owned his old merc where the doctor bought it on finance. Maybe its the doctor being the wannabe?
Old 27-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #128
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Im not being judgemental im being open minded. I did laugh at the bloke for talking at the doctors level at the party but then I stopped to think, are these cars cool or classy irrespective if they stand up to their modern equivalents or are they embarrassing and worthy of a chuckle due to their wannabe status

Who knows maybe that guy fully owned his old merc where the doctor bought it on finance. Maybe its the doctor being the wannabe?
Every single thing you have mentioned is judgemental , you don't know their personal wealth.
Because of a conversation that you were left out of, you are judging another individual based on someone that you perceive as having money.

If that's not judgemental then I don't know what is

Ever heard of the phrase "Don't judge a book by it's cover" ?.
Old 27-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #129
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

The only time I laughed at a person who owned 'such a car' was when I was at an uction once. A leggy blonde walked to her Corrola to leave and one of the agents comes running to talk to her calling out along the way "Hey, do you need me to move my Porsche back a little?"... even though there was 2 metres either end of the Corolla...

Then they had some small talk about the property and he gave her his card lol. Myself (and probably most of the people who heard him) were thinking '******'.

What you choose to drive is a personal thing and no-ones business. I had the best part of 10 years hearing the same crap (I guess in reverse) about my Festiva. I drove it caus it suited me and it had sentimental value. Had I not had an accident it would still be in the garage.

Had nothing to do with me not being able to afford anything better that's for sure.
Old 27-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #130
RAPID_BA
Banned

Im being open minded by posting up this thread, willing to have my view challenged or validated by other car enthusiasts. If thats not open minded I dont know what is?

Im willing to accept if these old mercs are cool/classy or embarrassing?
Old 27-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #131
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What are you saying they even want to be?
Old 27-08-2011, 11:07 AM   #132
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Every single thing you have mentioned is judgemental , you don't know their personal wealth.
Because of a conversation that you were left out of, you are judging another individual based on someone that you perceive as having money.

If that's not judgemental then I don't know what is

Ever heard of the phrase "Don't judge a book by it's cover" ?.
Of course I have an opinion, because it doesnt agree with your admiration of old cars im being judgemental. Its an opinion, everyone with opinions is judgemental?

If I say something is white, you say its black, if I say its black you say its white.
Old 27-08-2011, 11:10 AM   #133
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
The only time I laughed at a person who owned 'such a car' was when I was at an uction once. A leggy blonde walked to her Corrola to leave and one of the agents comes running to talk to her calling out along the way "Hey, do you need me to move my Porsche back a little?"... even though there was 2 metres either end of the Corolla...

Then they had some small talk about the property and he gave her his card lol. Myself (and probably most of the people who heard him) were thinking '******'
Thats a good example, if he had a rotten old porsche people would have laughed, much like the guy at the party trying to get points for owning a merc.
Old 27-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #134
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Thats a good example, if he had a rotten old porsche people would have laughed, much like the guy at the party trying to get points for owning a merc.
If he had a "rotten old porsche", he'd have a very cool classic. You need your "cool meter" tuned, IMO.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 27-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #135
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Of course I have an opinion, because it doesnt agree with your admiration of old cars im being judgemental. Its an opinion, everyone with opinions is judgemental?

If I say something is white, you say its black, if I say its black you say its white.
There is a difference between having an opinion and assuming/judging someone, to which your tittle and wording was clearly judgemental.
You stereo-typed this person.

You asked a question, yes we can all agree on that, and that question was,

Are older but higher spec cars classy and cool to own or just embarrassing.

But then you go on about your conclusion to this question by judging one individual on a single momment of your life, you judged.

And by using word's such as,
wannabes, hasbeens, real deal people, being a pretender, big timer,
You single handedly judged this individual.

The only conclusion I can come to is like I said in my other post, did you feel below them ?, out of place that you wern't involved in the discusion ?, a little left out maybe ?, jealousy ?.......

It's allright Hulk, we arn't judging you......
Old 27-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #136
ELAUBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Im willing to accept if these old mercs are cool/classy or embarrassing?
Who really cares? Does it really matter? I know people that think Hillman Hunters are cool, and while I don't, there's nothing wrong that that. In fact, having enough strength of character to admit that you think Hillman Hunters are cool in itself makes you cool in my assessment. Let's call that the Hillman Paradox.

What is REALLY uncool, is judging people on the car they drive; what's even less cool is trying to make some sort of assessment of their financial worth based on the car they own/drive/claim to own....and what make someone a complete Wayne Kerr is comparing their relative worth to your own based on any of the above.

I've got about ten cars, ranging from "extremely posh" to "hard-core bogan" across several makes, and from quite new to definitely vintage. It always amazes me the widely differing responses to someone mentioning that I've got a (insert one of the above), particularly if they think it doesn't fit with their perception of my, their or the group's demographic.

I once had the "Ferrari Paradox" explained to me (I owned a car from a competitor brand at the time) and I tend to agree with it: "The sort of girl that will go out with me because she knows I own a Ferrari is not the sort of girl I want to be with: The sort of girl I want to go out with is the sort that will probably walk away if I turn up to pick her up for a first date in a Ferrari"

Last edited by ELAUBA; 27-08-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 27-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #137
MAD
Petro-sexual

I still want to know what a 'doctor's level' conversation sounds like, and how I can talk like that.
Old 27-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #138
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
The age of the car was not the issue, it was the fact that he called out for half the auction to hear that it was his Porsche when there was obviously no need to.
Old 27-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #139
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Hulk BA = Shallow Hal.

Here's a thought, try really hard to start a thread that's not a dumb *** question. How about making a worthwhile constructive contribution to the forums, instead of making it seem like a bunch of 16 year olds.

I used to find your drivel annoying. It's gone waaaay beyond that now.

Pleasde bugger off and find another forum to sh%t in, leave this one for grown ups.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 27-08-2011, 12:27 PM   #140
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELAUBA
Who really cares? Does it really matter? I know people that think Hillman Hunters are cool, and while I don't, there's nothing wrong that that. In fact, having enough strength of character to admit that you think Hillman Hunters are cool in itself makes you cool in my assessment. Let's call that the Hillman Paradox.

What is REALLY uncool, is judging people on the car they drive; what's even less cool is trying to make some sort of assessment of their financial worth based on the car they own/drive/claim to own....and what make someone a complete Wayne Kerr is comparing their relative worth to your own based on any of the above.

I've got about ten cars, ranging from "extremely posh" to "hard-core bogan" across several makes, and from quite new to definitely vintage. It always amazes me the widely differing responses to someone mentioning that I've got a (insert one of the above), particularly if they think it doesn't fit with their perception of my, their or the group's demographic.

I once had the "Ferrari Paradox" explained to me (I owned a car from a competitor brand at the time) and I tend to agree with it: "The sort of girl that will go out with me because she knows I own a Ferrari is not the sort of girl I want to be with: The sort of girl I want to go out with is the sort that will probably walk away if I turn up to pick her up for a first date in a Ferrari"
quality post.
Old 27-08-2011, 12:33 PM   #141
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

A lot of people here have older cars, stuff from the 60s/70s. I don't think I can live without aircon/power everything and all the goodies new cars have now.

Also I once spoke to a podiatrist who wanted to sell his EB Falcon because he wanted a newer car, I assume they make some decent cash, anyone can own/enjoy everything regardless of social/workplace/monetary status.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 27-08-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 27-08-2011, 12:34 PM   #142
bingoTE50
Steve

Hillman Hunter GT 's are cool ,twin carbs ...lol

Last edited by bingoTE50; 09-09-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old 27-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #143
BFZF8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
Hulk BA = Shallow Hal.

Here's a thought, try really hard to start a thread that's not a dumb *** question. How about making a worthwhile constructive contribution to the forums, instead of making it seem like a bunch of 16 year olds.

Pleasde bugger off and find another forum to sh%t in, leave this one for grown ups.
I dunno ... I think I might be coming around to his way of thinking actually. By his own logic I'm a whole model year cooler than HULK BA because I drive a BF XR8!
Old 27-08-2011, 12:38 PM   #144
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELAUBA

Not a truer word spoken, here, here.
I have been judged many a times on the fact that I drive an AU and these people were trying to belittle me with my decision and ownership , I laughed at this because I know my own financial circumstances and what not, I have no need to go out and purchase a vehicle that I know I could afford just to "keep up with the Jones".
Some people are very shallow and feel the need to impress, oh well, such as life.
Old 27-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #145
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Yes i'm in both the 'frowned on' categories in HULK's book. Both my cars are high end luxo's, over 10 years old, and one of them is an AU :| I should be ashamed of my poser-like ways.
Old 27-08-2011, 01:16 PM   #146
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To critise someone for their choice of wheels
Is just either so one eye and just plain wrong

people buy what they do for whatever their reason is
So two mercedes, BMW, ford,Holden owners mix it up at a party
One drives a new one drives an oldie
Who cares

I own older 4x4s (1997 the newist)
While i have had the newer , few year old models
I never will again
Are parts for my 1997 cheaper than new ???
By a country mile
While the new depreciate , mine due to high demand for that model appreciate
Again i dont care
I didnt buy it to appease the masses,or really anyone else but me

As for comparing prices for the newer falcons
A falcon wouldnt even be on the radar if i was to buy again
Matter of fact only a 4x4 would be on the radar
So the myth again of theres no better buys than a falcon out there
You couldnt give me one,or a holden,or a camry

The myth again that older is dearer to fix and maintain
Again just that a myth

Some people take pride in ownership
Theres owners cars that are maintained will always go the distant
(My old 1980 4x4 has over 500,000k on it since new)
Starts first time everytime,engine never been apart,only just had new suspension bushes put in
Yet some new cars cant dream of that
So old Vs new again, depends solely on the cars maintenance
Old 27-08-2011, 01:46 PM   #147
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
Hulk BA = Shallow Hal.

Well said!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Closed Thread