Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #31
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Total number of klm's before a demo vehicle is considered used ?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
The high klm's and being sold as a demo have me shaking my head, they might be well within their right's to do so by law but I don't consider a vehicle with 15,000klm's on it and being used as the wife/family of the dealer princible for the last 6-9 month's as personal use and now selling on the lot as a Demo as the right practise, to me that vehicle is now "used" and should be sold and priced accordingly.
I don't think many would consider it to still be a demo.

It's a used car end of story.

It ceased being a demonstrator when it started to be used as the family wagon.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #32
ClassicServicin
1967 Flashback

it is used. too many k's.
ClassicServicin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #33
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just talking to ths missus, and she remembers that back in January last year when we were new car hunting that the Ford dealer in Bundaberg had an XR6 of pretty much the same build date as the 3000+km one in Rocky. She test drove it, and this was the car that we were going to go down and buy before we saw the G6E and fell in love with it.
The one with over 3000km in Rocky was $36,990 on the road (as were a few other XR6's on the lot at the time), and the one in Bundy was only $32,990 on the road...and it had only 300km on the clock, not to mention the dealer saying to my missus that for a demo it had "pretty high kilometers"...I wonder what he would have said about the 3000km one?

If the dealer has taken it home for his missus to use as a family car, and it now has 15,000km on it, it's used...full stop. If you can pick it up for a really big discount, go for it, but it's in no way "new".

Last edited by 2011G6E; 15-01-2012 at 05:23 PM.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #34
Rodge
Banned

My answer to the thread question would be 1,000 km's. At that point I consider a car is definity used, call it a demo or used, personally I make no destinction between the two.
Consider this, if you're average punter take's a car for an average demo drive of say 20 km's, at the 1,000 km mark that's potentially fifty different people that have got into that car you're considering buying, 50 different people who have probably not warmed it up before they drive it hard.

All this right at the point in time when running an engine in correctly and warming up the engine oil and transmission before giving it stick is such an important part of a new engines life. Of course the dealership will tell you its was the Dealer Principal's personal drive car or some other similar story, but they would say that wouldn't they...

The car in question with 15,000 km's is well used and its price should reflect that.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #35
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
My answer to the thread question would be 1,000 km's. At that point I consider a car is definity used, call it a demo or used, personally I make no destinction between the two.
Consider this, if you're average punter take's a car for an average demo drive of say 20 km's, at the 1,000 km mark that's potentially fifty different people that have got into that car you're considering buying, 50 different people who have probably not warmed it up before they drive it hard.

All this right at the point in time when running an engine in correctly and warming up the engine oil and transmission before giving it stick is such an important part of a new engines life. Of course the dealership will tell you its was the Dealer Principal's personal drive car or some other similar story, but they would say that wouldn't they...

The car in question with 15,000 km's is well used and its price should reflect that.
That's a very very good point...I hadn't thought of it from that angle. It's quite correct...it does come to probably fifty people. Seeing as how we drove an XR6 off the lot and once out of the main traffic area the salesman said to "give her some", who knows how they've been treated...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #36
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

It is common for dealerships to offer demo cars to several higher managers wives as part of the managers salary package

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #37
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
It is common for dealerships to offer demo cars to several higher managers wives as part of the managers salary package
Yes, more fool the DP, for the wifey to do 15000ks in a demo and not keeping an eye on it .

Old 16-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #38
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
That's a very very good point...I hadn't thought of it from that angle. It's quite correct...it does come to probably fifty people. Seeing as how we drove an XR6 off the lot and once out of the main traffic area the salesman said to "give her some", who knows how they've been treated...
A lesson I learned from the school of hard knocks mate. I bought my previous FPV (F6 as a demo with 3,000 km's)... wonder how many people had thrashed that hard from a dead cold start, a scary thought.
Begs the question, are demo's really the value proposition they appear to be ???? (Perhaps material for a seperate thread topic with people's experiences regarding demonstrators).

Last edited by Rodge; 16-01-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #39
LTDHO
The one and only

When buying a car with 15000klms on it, what's the difference between a demo and a used car?
I mean, compare a demo to a used car with the same klms.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #40
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
When buying a car with 15000klms on it, what's the difference between a demo and a used car?
IMO there is a greater chance the demo has been thrashed to within an inch of it's life.

Especially if it's a newly released model, everyone has a piece of them.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #41
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO

For the reasons Rodge mentioned at post 34......On average 50 different drivers giving the car a good hiding in the former case versus one or maybe two) careful owner(s) in the latter.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #42
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpy
simple......tell him he's an idiot and the vehicle is "used" then go buy somewhere else!

demo does not include his wife as a "daily drive"
THIS!!! +1
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 10:40 AM   #43
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally I wouldn't be too worried about the car "getting thrashed". New engines are run in on an engine dyno before they see the car anyway, and anything that goes wrong with the car, the engine or whatever, is covered under warranty anyway. If anything, some pre owned kilometres help bring out any faults that are going to be present. Look at it as piston ring bedding time, .
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #44
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85
Personally I wouldn't be too worried about the car "getting thrashed". New engines are run in on an engine dyno before they see the car anyway, and anything that goes wrong with the car, the engine or whatever, is covered under warranty anyway. If anything, some pre owned kilometres help bring out any faults that are going to be present. Look at it as piston ring bedding time, .
Not exactly, so your saying an engine does the equivalent or 1000-1500kms being run in then yeah?
If you are correct then why is there so many threads on running in a new car and also a little section in the manual that says not to exceed XXX rpm for the first XXX amount of kms?
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #45
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
5000, IMO id be saying 3000kms~ and thats being generous.

My XR5 had 21kms
Exactly my point, the consumer decides what is new/used/demo according to their own criteria.

I wouldnt let a dealer try and fluff it up saying its a demo
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #46
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Demonstrator is just a face saving term for a very low km used vehicle.
Technically, you shouldn't be paying GST on a used vehicle, just the stamp duty on transfer.
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #47
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Technically, you shouldn't be paying GST on a used vehicle, just the stamp duty on transfer.
Agreed, there shouldn't be such a term really, its either new or used thats it.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #48
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

My BA was a demo with just over 6000kms on the clock. I just treated it (though of it) like a low km used car.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #49
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
You want to think about that again?

GST is payable on all sales except private sales between private individuals.

Every car anyone buys from a car yard (new, used, registered, unregistered, going or in a bucket) will have GST on it, even junk heaps from the wreckers.

Last edited by flappist; 16-01-2012 at 12:39 PM.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #50
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Typically in dealer land 5,000 kms is when they ground their demos (that is stop employees driving them and try and lock them up).

The dealer is within their right to class the car as a demo (as at the end of the day a demo is second hand anyways).

For that money I can get you a new one in QLD, any of the hail affected ones have to have it listed on carsales and on the new car contract.

The dealer is FOS.

My Territory was a demo and only had one driver.. One of the management at the dealership, so I was happy with that.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #51
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT

For that money I can get you a new one in QLD, any of the hail affected ones have to have it listed on carsales and on the new car contract.
I was of the understanding that they would have to be listed as hail affected aswell.

Last edited by flappist; 16-01-2012 at 01:32 PM. Reason: fixed the quote
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post