Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 28-05-2011, 08:43 PM   #31
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2010 Focus Service

Thanks. I took a closer look at the 15,000km service schedule, and it looks like plugs aren't changed then. Might have to get them and do them myself, anyway...

As for the oil filter, I grabbed a Ryco, part Z632, along with the Mobil 1 oil.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2011, 12:02 AM   #32
rand0mn00b

spark plugs aren't needed until the 60,000KM "B" service and most iridium/platinum spark plugs are rated for 100,000KMs

as for the oil, I used the Castrol Edge 5w30 for a while and didn't think it was too bad. whenever there's a sale on you can pick it up for under $40 for a 5L bottle @ SCA or Repco, hence I stocked up on a few bottles and did my own interval oil changes for a while

recently I was recommended the Elf motor oil as used by Renault and although pricier have felt that it made a significant difference in my engine's smoothness and noise levels. it also seemed to improve low end power delivery over the castrol. I never considered the noise using other oils much of a problem until I used a bottle of Elf and it was gone
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2012, 09:40 AM   #33
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

My 2011 LV Focus is almost due for the first 15,000 k service, I have read that spark plugs wont be changed at this early stage but was wondering if anyone knows what plugs are fitted from the factory ? Do the Iridium plugs make any real difference to performance and economy (as claimed) over stock plugs ?

Cheers
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #34
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
My 2011 LV Focus is almost due for the first 15,000 k service, I have read that spark plugs wont be changed at this early stage but was wondering if anyone knows what plugs are fitted from the factory ? Do the Iridium plugs make any real difference to performance and economy (as claimed) over stock plugs ?

Cheers
Standard fit is Iridium.

Spark plugs are not due for replacement.

The old style 'copper' plugs versus the Iridium will show no power or economy gain, initially. Over time, the Iridium plugs will continue to maintain the original power/economy figures for up to 100,000/120,000. Whereas the 'copper' plugs will taper off at about 20,000/30,000km.

I prefer to change the plugs earlier, due to things like: possible thread seizure, and even though the science says they'll last for 100,000km, I like to change them earlier.

First change for me was at 50,000km.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #35
josem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKa
If you have time, you can buy a full service kit (genuine) for GBP57 from here:
http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford...e_kit_2214.htm

The spark plugs are around AUD$100 from a Ford dealer on their own!
Hi, I know the link above is for a 2010 Focus but they also have a service kit for a 2010 onwards 1.6 Fiesta Duratec which I was told has the same engine on the 2011 LW 1.6 Focus Ambiente.
http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford...1796_c_556.htm

Do you think I can use the Fiesta service kit for the Focus ??
josem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2012, 11:33 PM   #36
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So the car is starting to idle a little roughly (by its normal standards, that is), and is taking a little too long to change gear (it's an automatic), so it's service time again.

That's 10,000km and about 8 1/2 months since the last one. The previous period was about 10 1/2 months and 9500 km. I figure it could be left a bit longer this time, but performance will only go down. Before the last service a mostly freeway trip I take once a week was using 7.6-7.7L/100km of fuel. After the service it improved to a consistent 7.0-7.1L/100km, so it was definitely needed, if not urgently.

With that in mind, it seems to me the 1 year and 15,000 km as suggested by Ford is a bit optimistic. The only real performance mod I have is a 2.25" exhaust, if that would make any difference, and I didn't have it before the last service anyway. Unless the K&N cone filter would have an effect?

Anyone have any different opinion about the service schedules?

Old 17-02-2012, 01:12 AM   #37
rand0mn00b

I'm with you there, 15,000KM seems too long

If you look in your service book there is a section for 'extreme' or similar driving conditions. I think lots of drivers would fall into those categories so I service my car at 7,5000KM intervals and keep an eye out on anything that may wear out

still trying to figure out where if any fuel filter exists for the petrol focus =\
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #38
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Decided to try Ford's fixed price servicing, since $265 is only a little more than the $200-ish it cost me last time (supplied own fuel to national chain guys to do the service). Of course, they tried to upsell me on stuff like wheel alignments, but resisted that. Also, naturally, they didn't use Mobil 1 synthetic, but Castrol Magnetec, which is cheaper but not a bad oil.

The only problem is, according to the service sheet they put in 10w/30 (again, I suspect this is cheaper because it's more common and what they have plenty of in stock), rather than the 5w/30 the manual suggests. AFAIK the 10w is an indicator or winter performance, and as it doesn't often get even down to freezing here in Perth, I should be OK.

Um, right?

Old 19-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #39
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

With oil, the first number is its cold viscosity, so 5W-30 and 10W-30 are both 30 when at operating temperature, the only difference is when its cold. You'll also find that 10W-30 tends to be a bit cheaper than 5W-30, well I have anyway.

My TDCI is going in for its next service soon, I did the first at 14,000km for oil and filter change, coming up on 24,000km now so I guess I should do it every 10,000 because **** on these diesel cars can be expensive apparently.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 19-02-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post