Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #31
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: End Import Parity Pricing For LPG

Whats the difference between CNG and LPG besides one being liquid?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #32
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Whats the difference between CNG and LPG besides one being liquid?
LPG has a lot more energy per litre......94 MJ/m3 versus 38 MJ/m3 which means you need about 2.5 times as much CNG.
LNG is much harder to do for transport because you need a cryogenic tank, very expensive.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #33
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Comparing current prices i've seen in Brisbane for ULP and LPG and the URBAN FUEL CYCLE of FG II Falcon
namely, EcoLPI, I-6 petrol vs Ecoboost 2.0, the approximate cost per 100 km of city driving:

EcoLPI:
18.1 l/100 km x 87.5 cents/litre = $16.19

I-6 ULP:
14.6 l/100 km x 145 cents/litre = $21.17

Ecoboost:
11.8 l/100 km x 145 cents/litre = $17.11

Savings over I-6 petrol:

EcoLPI = $5.00/100 km

Ecoboost = $4.00/100 km

I can see this ending badly for the I-6 engine if fuel prices continue to climb...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #34
Kevaclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial
Well since the Gov added a bonus to convert to gas, the Gas converters put their price up to match.
When the Gov added a "First home owners grant" the builders put up their prices to match.

It's not always the Governments fault..... just 90+% of the time!

Exactly
We bought my Parents a Subaru Liberty 6 years ago and paid to have it converted to LPG
Quote for the LPG was $2200 but the fitter said wait 3 months for the Govt rebate, it's $2500. We thought "cool, free LPG" BZZZZZZZZZZZZ
all of a sudden the cost of the tanks has sky rocketed and we still had to kick in $700. Yeah right the tank price went up $1000

And there was nothing we could have done as the rebate only applied if you paid for or had the conversion started after the start date. It was a blatant rip off by the LPG industry that the Govt did nothing about

But this happens with every "Rebate Scheme" the Govt introduces
99 5.8M Profish plate alloy carport decoration
Kevaclone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #35
IceValk85
MY2010 SV6 SIDI -Black-

free roof insulations springs to mind....

Ice
IceValk85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #36
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
I think you'll find with respect to automotive LPG our lpg prices are based on Saudi Arabian contract price (Saudi CP) for propane and butance which has jumped dramatically recently. There is no parity for lpg with asian countries.

I realise you were referring to oil however the following explains what determines our automotive fuel prices where we fill up.

This ACCC article explains LPG pricing.
http://www.accc.gov.au/content/item....tive%20LPG.pdf

Petrol:
http://www.accc.gov.au/content/item....d%20petrol.pdf

Diesel:
http://www.accc.gov.au/content/item....f%20diesel.pdf
Hi. interesting thing in the petrol pricing link of yours that the ACCC mentions that 20% of our petrol is imported but they don't tell us that it is the fuel for the top end of Australia as it is cheaper to import it than ship from southern/eastern states where our major refineries are but the petrol price in Darwin is about 15 cpl higher than our Melbourne price Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2012, 12:24 AM   #37
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
Hydrogen is the answer (I've seen the odd hydrogen bus around Perth).

Now all we need is someone to make a solar powered hydrogen producing machine which takes water from the ocean and makes Hydrogen, then compresses it into a tank. (I hope you're reading this oil companies. Be scared - real scared) That will mean that anyone can make their own fuel thanks to the sun, just like plants and photosynthesis. Try and tax that Gummit.
The only problem is that Hydrogen is an energy negative fuel...you simply can't get out of it the energy it takes to produce it...sorry.
Not to mention the difficulties of storing it as it needs to be stored...extremely cold and in a compressed form which takes up a huge amount of space in a car.

There's no such thing as a free lunch...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2012, 03:54 AM   #38
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
The only problem is that Hydrogen is an energy negative fuel...you simply can't get out of it the energy it takes to produce it...sorry.
Not to mention the difficulties of storing it as it needs to be stored...extremely cold and in a compressed form which takes up a huge amount of space in a car.

There's no such thing as a free lunch...
That's why you use solar to do it. Even when using petrol you are using the energy that plants produced in the raw product (crude oil) that was initially produced by photosynthesis (ie from the sun). The storage thing is a bit more complex though.

All fuels we use have energy initially provided by the sun and we unleash that locked energy when we burn it. The energy didn't miraculously spring into existence.

The only fuel that doesn't run on that principle is nuclear, and I don't think nuclear fuel and cars mix too well.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #39
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickxr8
Vote with your cheap chinese made pencils next fed election , sadly the "none of the above" aint there yet. best stop here
That won't do a thing. It wouldn't decrease the price. If there was an uproar on the price of it, there would be a response close to this:

"The Gilard Government failed to contain LPG prices, however, with the cost of producing, buying, & importing, I'm afraid that there is nothing that this government can do. We have exhausted every possible avenue."

Just blame the initial rise on the previous government, then go ahead and find a reason why you can't do anything for it now to keep the money rolling in. Since most previous governments have sold off all their assets there is no longer any recurring or "passive" income. So they fin every little way to tax us. We get taxed on what we earn, spend, & buy. I agree. But, Good luck.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #40
some_cs_student

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconnut
Glad i never jumped on the LPG bandwagon, no savings to be had now :(
LPG is still cheaper if you have already converted. But the cost of conversion is no longer justifiable :(
some_cs_student is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post