Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #31
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: Is this where our Nanny state anti hooning laws are taking us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiginmackay
Long story short, a couple of Chinese guys have been caught street racing and now face the death penalty.
Short story made longer...... The article states that the Police said they may get up to 7 years in prison or worse.

The only time a death penalty is mentioned is by the unnamed reporter
Old 18-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #32
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A thought:

You are at a traffic light in a 80 zone in your GT/F6/XR6T and beside you is a "hoon" in an old commodore.

The lights change and you take off at what is normal for a vehicle of your performance.
At the same time the "hoon", who has an extreme hatred of Ford, decides to show you why commodore is king drops his clutch spinning the wheels and then roaring up the road just behind you as your vehicle is far quicker than his even when being driven sedately.

In the eyes of the 100 people on the side of the road were YOU street racing?

And before the wowsers and scrooby apologists arc up about how this never happens it has happened to me on dozens approaching hundreds of occasions in the last 20 years and I suspect to many more on here..
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #33
Rockape
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes Flappist i don't like where we are going with this hooning crap.

Kawasaki ZZR1100
Rockape is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #34
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

HUGE DOUBLE STANDARDS !!!, it`s sorta funny that the little man can be penalized harshly for minor law breakages, yet the law makers can lie, manipulate, mislead the public with very little accountability,
welcome to Australia 2012 !
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #35
chamb0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Genuine question - can anyone find a reliable primary source detailing China's addition of street racing to the list of capital offences?

I've had a quick look but I can't find any evidence, discussion on the topic and the incident in question seems limited almost entirely to motorbike enthusiast sites and some secondhand blogs. Most of them just reference the Visordown article in the OP which is ambiguous at best.

Perhaps China is making changes to minimum penalties for some road offences but these articles and 'chinese whispers' (so to speak) have blown it out of proportion. Happy to be corrected on this though.

I do realise China has a terrible human rights record and their criminal justice system falls a long way short of international law and standards. Just looking through the categories of capital offences (which includes many nonviolent crimes) indicates that. But it also appears that in recent years there has been a tiny general trend towards a tightening up and improvement of death penalty laws.
Old 19-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #36
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamb0
I've had a quick look but I can't find any evidence, discussion on the topic and the incident in question seems limited almost entirely to motorbike enthusiast sites and some secondhand blogs. Most of them just reference the Visordown article in the OP which is ambiguous at best.
That's the point I was trying to make, you just said it a lot better
Old 19-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #37
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is in print in the latest issue of AMCN, Australia's leading motorcycle publication and usually a pretty reputable source of info.

Doesn't make it true of course, but may add more weight to its validity.
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #38
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
A thought:

You are at a traffic light in a 80 zone in your GT/F6/XR6T and beside you is a "hoon" in an old commodore.

The lights change and you take off at what is normal for a vehicle of your performance.
At the same time the "hoon", who has an extreme hatred of Ford, decides to show you why commodore is king drops his clutch spinning the wheels and then roaring up the road just behind you as your vehicle is far quicker than his even when being driven sedately.

In the eyes of the 100 people on the side of the road were YOU street racing?

And before the wowsers and scrooby apologists arc up about how this never happens it has happened to me on dozens approaching hundreds of occasions in the last 20 years and I suspect to many more on here..
To add to your thought, If I take off a approx. 3/4 throttle am I an Hoon?

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post