Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
bluesmoke
Starter Motor

Default Aircon Compressor Noise

Hi,
I just had a mechanic do a 101 point vehicle inspection on a 2007 Subaru Forester I'm looking at buying privately. He asked me to listen to the aircon while idling. Aside from the normal click when the clutch engaged, there was an obvious noise in the compressor that he said was probably the bearing. He said to replace it would cost up to $1,500 using a non-genuine compressor, which he said are rare for Subarus. A genuine compressor replacement would be over $2,000. The car was serviced by a Subaru dealer in January and they didn't mention it. It could be that it has only just started to make a noise. The rest of the car is in excellent condition and the price is very good.
Has anybody here had any experience with this problem and if so, should I take a risk and hope for the best?
Thanks.

bluesmoke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 06:02 AM   #2
robertjp

Default Re: Aircon Compressor Noise

Not in a Suby but my AU wgn, opened the bonnet at night and saw sparks. Was able to change the compressor myself and get a recharge (should have got the drier changed at the same time). Subbys have a reputation of being hard to work on. Hope this helps.
robertjp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 
Default Re: Aircon Compressor Noise

I would price up some replacement compressors. The quick check I did doesn't show them as being that expensive. You can source your own and get it fitted. If you can't find one locally at a good price try shipping a unit fromt eh USA.

I'd also check the belt and idler pulleys as they may contribute to the noise.

If the car is really good I wouldn't let it stop you buying it.