Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Question Personal Water Craft - why no more Jet Ski?

Most people refer to PWC as Jetskis. However Jetski is the brand name offered by Kawasaki. Kawasaki were so succesful at the PWC game that their brand name is often used to describe all types of PWC.

However, these days all the PWC I see in use are SeaDoos. Are Jetskis no longer popular? Or are the SeaDoos so much better than what Kawasaki has to offer? I am interested to hear from people who own or have owned PWCs.

Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Personal Water Craft - why no more Jet Ski?

I live on the Gold Coast and see all brands in the water. Seadoo have the best name but with that comes the highest cost of servicing. $400+ once a year depending on useage and or if you need a supercharger kit. Comprehensive insurance about $600 a year, yes dearer than my FGXR6T. Jetski shops around the GC are booming and I think I can give a few reasons why. 1. NSW doesnt want you to own a jetski. They are banned on Sydney harbour ( no thanks to Bob Carr) and restricted in a number of places from the gong to Newcastle. 2. Horrendous licence fees. Paid yearly I think its about $150 and three yearly about $330. These are major hurdles in NSW. In QLD it is added to your drivers licence for a low once off fee and there forever, no more fees, nada,nun,zip. The huge Broadwater with many ramps makes it easy to find a spot to put in, although parking on weekends can be a nightmare.
The Broadwater has a 40knot limit which can be easily broken on almost any ski. Top speed of the newer skis would be 80 knots/150kph and acceration 0-100k in 4 secs. Come off at that speed and the water will feel like blue readymix.
When I looked for my skis a year or so ago I was surprised at the number of skis available in VIC.
Anyway thats my experience, if you have one you will know what a black hole they are, but FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
dogphlap

I used to have a personal water craft but I called it a kayak.
dogphlap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
MAD
Petro-sexual

I spent an hour in huge swell at Noosa and was bored after about 30 mins.
I'm glad I didn't buy one to find that out.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i get down near the bay Point Gellibrand (williamstown) once or twice a week , and see jet ski`s and ski doo`s fairly frequently, they do look a lot of fun, i can imagine they would be expensive toys.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD View Post
I spent an hour in huge swell at Noosa and was bored after about 30 mins.
I'm glad I didn't buy one to find that out.
Depends on how versatile you are. Haha

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
GhiaEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #7
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaEB View Post

Thats what I call a fishing rig , imagin pulling up a shark on that thing wowee the fun !
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaEB View Post

how cool is that..........
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #9
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

SeaDon't are quite popular due mainly to marketing. Funny think is, they are quite well known for being expensive to run, unreliable and unsteady.
Funny thing is, in Vic I'm seeing more and more Yamaha's and Kawsaki's out on the water.

Each to their own. I chose mine because of the well documented reliabilty, quite quick and good all round hull.
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #10
Phil B
Clevo power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun View Post
Top speed of the newer skis would be 80 knots/150kph and acceration 0-100k in 4 secs. Come off at that speed and the water will feel like blue readymix.
I have been on a donut behind a 260hp supercharged Kawasaki jet ski before, stupidly fast, even compared to a V8 ski boat. And the driver didnt realise that the speedo was in mph, not km/h! I can testify that water is that hard at 50...mph.

I remember counting doing 4 flips on top of the water before I went through, the next time I was sliding on top and had time to grab my shorts before I went through the water. I was actually quite scared and called it quits, I could barely move the next day.

The purple monster, daily BA XR6 turbo.

Scale Lego Technic XB Coupe with working bits! Build thread
Phil B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #11
xbxd351

I've had my RXP for a couple of years it never skipped a beat until this season. Rusted hose clamp on the inlet hose wreaked havoc causing the hull to take on water. Stranded out in the port phillip heads of all places waiting for my mates to find me is not a whole lot of fun. Then after about 6 oil changes to flush all the water out got it going again only to replace all the electrical sensors and switches as they fail one by one. Absolute pain in the ***. Theres a lot more crap involved in owning and operating these things than most people would realise.
xbxd351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2013, 02:01 AM   #12
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have two, both Seadoo 2008s, RXP 255 two seater and an RXT 255 three seater. No probs with reliability at all. Serviced once a year. Last bloke to service mine came to my house and did it there. Easier than dragging them in to a workshop.
MAD, sounds like you went out in too rough a seas. I am lucky here on GC I have Broadwater, ocean, river all within 15min drive from home, if the ocean too rough I just stay inside. But I agree if its too rough then its no fun, but on the fun days its great.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:23 AM   #13
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Went out on a Kawasaki something last year and it was stupid fast, faster than other jetskis I'd been on; the owner vowed to throw me off but couldn't do it. Ended up flipping the thing and we all ended up in the drink. Great fun but I hardly had the energy to lift myself up into the thing afterwards let alone drive home that Arvo, then go to work for 7 hours! Great fun those jetskis.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #14
ltd
Force Fed Fords

I think there's been so much regulation particularly in NSW with both PWC and Jetski that most have given up.
Special interest groups, the Greens etc who are worried about a spotted badger or some such animal and it's migratory habits near the shore line translate to tougher restrictions and a max speed limit of 8 knots etc, so people don't bother.
In a nutshell, basically the fun police; narcissists who secretly fantasise about their own mothers (or fathers) have ruined it for everybody because they themselves aren't able to experience joy - unless they're in the company of their aforementioned mothers (fathers).

Quote: