Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 21-01-2014, 11:11 PM   #1
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Default LW Focus Titanium: Issues with Fuel Reading/DTE

The wife has been having an issue with the DTE reading on her LW Focus, it can jump up or down very suddenly. For example, she starts the car up and it reads 120km to go, then after a couple of mins drops to 90km, then 60km...gets to destination with the reading at 60km, but when it's started up later the DTE is back up to 110km. Not sure if this could be related, but a few times when attempting to fuel up, the fuel came gushing back out, as if the tank was full...but it wasn't.

Anyone on the forums had similar issues?

The car is a 2013 LW2 Focus Titanium auto hatch.

LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2014, 11:59 PM   #2
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Default Re: LW Focus Titanium: Issues with Fuel Reading/DTE

Yeah my DTE has done that a cpl times. Never had an issue putting fuel in though.
Old 22-01-2014, 01:06 PM   #3
Mollusc
Starter Motor

Mine does this as well (but not the fuel gushing out part). I've always assumed that the DTE calculation is based on some sort of average current fuel consumption so if you put your foot down the computer recalculates based on consumption over a recent period of time and drops the DTE. Slow down or drive more economically and it goes back up.

Realistically it can never be entirely accurate and can only be used as a guide.
Mollusc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2014, 01:20 PM   #4
f6speedster

In regards to the fuel gushing out, it is because the nozzle isn't fully in and the flap it opens is partially closed stillI its something that happened to me once. As the focus does not have a cap it relies on the nozzle to open the flap.
Old 25-01-2014, 01:22 PM   #5
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Thanks for the replies guys.

The car went into the dealership this week and we had the problem looked at.

I was told by the Service Advisor that there is a TSB out on this relating to the carbon canister in the fuel tank becoming clogged and causing the fuel tank to deform. This causes the trip computer to adjust the DTE up and down in a crazy fashion.

The canister was replaced under warranty.

Re: the fuel gushing out, I'm pretty sure that's the wife not inserting the nozzle properly (go in at 3 o'clock, and then let it sit at 6 o'clock while fuelling up)

Fingers crossed that we're all good from here!
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2014, 12:42 AM   #6
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My wife's Titanium is only a few weeks old. Learnt the hard way about how to position the nozzle the first time I filled it up! Came back home and when I opened the fuel flap to clean it up I saw the little diagrams; second fill, no problems.

When re-filling the R-Spec the other day I saw the same diagram on the fuel flap and decided to do just the same as for the Focus. Must admit it was easier to re-fuel!
Old 28-01-2014, 10:54 AM   #7
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Interesting, i might mention mention it when mine goes in for interim oil change