Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 26-06-2014, 09:56 PM   #1
MrReece1997
Starter Motor

Smile 2003 Focus with 280,000 good first car?

Hey guys, I just signed up because I'm currently looking for a first car and I've come across a nice green 2003 Ford Focus sedan on gumtree with 280,000kms for $2500, it's been on gumtree for a little while now.

It has just had a full service, oil plugs, coolant, new radiator hose and rocker cover gasket, it has 15 inch CSA mags, a nice new pioneer CD player and 2 months rego remaining.

I'm not too sure whether a Focus would be a good first car, my budget is up to $4000 but I'd prefer to spend under $3000.

What do you guys think?

MrReece1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2014, 11:58 AM   #2
ronnas07

Default Re: 2003 Focus with 280,000 good first car?

I would say too many kms mate, but if it has a full service history and runs well at least you can use the kms as a bargaining tool and get it down to $2k. Possibly selling before rego up because something costly is in need of repair. Best bet is to go have a look, take your old man or a mechanically minded person. Good luck
ronnas07 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2014, 07:01 PM   #3
MrReece1997
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnas07 View Post
I would say too many kms mate, but if it has a full service history and runs well at least you can use the kms as a bargaining tool and get it down to $2k. Possibly selling before rego up because something costly is in need of repair. Best bet is to go have a look, take your old man or a mechanically minded person. Good luck
Yeah I was thinking too many kms, but then I figured highway kms which do less wear and tear on parts.

Yeah, it seems cheap compared to others I've seen but that's probably just due to the high kms and low rego, I'd take my Dad with me if I end up going to look at it.

The Focus seems like a nice little car, are the older ones in auto reliable?
Old 28-06-2014, 01:26 AM   #4
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Also remember to check when the timing belt is due, at that many km's it may be coming up to it's second timing belt, which may be anywhere from a $500 - $1200 job depending on where you go / who is doing it.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2014, 01:59 PM   #5
MrReece1997
Starter Motor

Question Re: 2003 Focus with 280,000 good first car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord View Post
Also remember to check when the timing belt is due, at that many km's it may be coming up to it's second timing belt, which may be anywhere from a $500 - $1200 job depending on where you go / who is doing it.
We would most likely do it at home, my Dad would do it for me.

Would it be something easy to DIY?
Old 28-06-2014, 02:10 PM   #6
MrReece1997
Starter Motor

Also the owner said he thinks it has a passenger airbag which from my research means it would also have ABS is this correct?

It has no power windows though but I don't mind too much.
Old 30-06-2014, 01:23 PM   #7
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrReece1997 View Post
We would most likely do it at home, my Dad would do it for me.

Would it be something easy to DIY?
Not an easy DIY job, but definitely possible if your dad has decent mechanical ability and the know-how!
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post