Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-07-2016, 06:36 AM   #61
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Leaked order guide shows Ford Mustang will get 10-speed auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopstar87 View Post
Corvette and Porsche have now moved to 7 speed manuals.. manuals are starting to climb in gear # as well.

My 300c luxury as the 8 speed ZF Auto, paired with the 3.6 petrol V6. brilliant on the highway... does about 1250rpm at 105kms, which is massive help with the fuel been a the 2 tonne car (brick)... plus very smooth and is happy to go from 7 or 8th straight to 2nd/3rd with no issue at all.

1st to 2nd is at about 65km/h, 2nd to 3rd at 102kmh, 3rd-4th 140ish and 4-5 is at 195kmh. so even with 8 speed, the gears are spaced, the extra gears only really come in to play on the highway.
Apparently your 300c is two gears short :-) ... It is interesting that max torque bands are covering almost the whole rev range (could run with a 2 speed) and now we need 10 speed gearboxes to suit.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2016, 08:45 AM   #62
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
Apparently your 300c is two gears short :-) ... It is interesting that max torque bands are covering almost the whole rev range (could run with a 2 speed) and now we need 10 speed gearboxes to suit.
Not just the flatness of the torque curve, but each higher gear reduces torque to the wheels. So having torque at the flywheel at any rpm is all well and good, but if it's better to kick down a gear or two to get up a hill, more gears will keep the rpm right in the sweet spot (assuming it is well-calibrated).
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2016, 10:15 AM   #63
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
Most 6 speeds still have a big gap between 1st and 2nd. You know it when you're already rolling, need to accelerate fairly quickly, struggles a little in 2nd up the hill, kick the accelerator down a little harder and you're at 4,000rpm+ in first. 10 speed is going to perform wonders, we are going to wonder how we got by with just 4 gears a few years ago.
They do that by having a uselessly short 1st gear though, at least in the case of a 6HP26/6R80. If they mimicked a manual gearset like a T56/TR6060 the gaps would be alot closer.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2016, 10:23 AM   #64
QIKESP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
The price does drop for repairs. Same as higher tech motors with more electronics.
I don't agree there.
Compare the cost of rebuilding a C4 vs 6HP26, Windsor vs Miami
As you add additional capability, generally the cost to repair goes up.

I did mention the 10 speed will most likely tick all the right boxes, and when the car is under warranty all will be good.
Most owners will keep the car for a year or two and upgrade when the next model comes out.
If it develops issues, take it back to the dealer and get there apprentice to sort it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
If someone is worried about stuff like this then maybe buy an older car.
However when it's out of warranty and the owner decides to retain the car, or for those that unfortunately can't afford to buy new, "If" the auto fails it will possibly be very expensive to repair.
Then again, there will probably be "wongfu" spare parts available for it by then, bringing the cost of any potential repair down.
QIKESP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2016, 10:50 AM   #65
shyun

Just cause its a 10-speed doesn't mean it will shift from 1st nine times to 10th. It will skip gears depending on the situation. It should behave like a gearbox with half the gears, just the ratios it uses will vary depending on how you're driving it. Even the Falcon ZF skips first and takes off in 2nd most of the times.
This user likes this post:
Old 03-07-2016, 11:28 AM   #66
Matty4
Banana

Have a look at this video. Explains a lot about it. Skip to 5.45 for the trans discussion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkScQN7fxGg
Old 03-07-2016, 07:09 PM   #67
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
Not just the flatness of the torque curve, but each higher gear reduces torque to the wheels. So having torque at the flywheel at any rpm is all well and good, but if it's better to kick down a gear or two to get up a hill, more gears will keep the rpm right in the sweet spot (assuming it is well-calibrated).
I read ZF engineers article few years ago where they stated they can achieve all their powertrain goals with six speeds. More gears means smaller engines are able to perform better with better economy. More gears also mean more friction and more complexity . ( 9 speed ZF hasn't been exactly trouble free).
With 10 gears you probably won't stay in the same gear for more than 5 seconds at the time :-).
I drive a 5 speed auto and can't fault it . Our other car is 7 speed auto and it is pretty good too. 10 speeds are just as necessary as millisecond DSG gear changes in a family hatch are .
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2016, 11:16 PM   #68
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIKESP View Post
I don't agree there.
Compare the cost of rebuilding a C4 vs 6HP26, Windsor vs Miami
[SIZE=3]As you add additional capability, generally the cost to repair goes up.
It does get cheaper from when first released. If people are expectin 1000 rebuilds then they're gonna be in for a shock.

At the end of the day if the auto isnt a dud (aka the powershift in the focus) they normally do last.

Either way it doesnt bother me I just prefer manuals cause i havent driven an auto that I like.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:26 AM   #69
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
I read ZF engineers article few years ago where they stated they can achieve all their powertrain goals with six speeds. More gears means smaller engines are able to perform better with better economy. More gears also mean more friction and more complexity . ( 9 speed ZF hasn't been exactly trouble free).

With 10 gears you probably won't stay in the same gear for more than 5 seconds at the time :-).

I drive a 5 speed auto and can't fault it . Our other car is 7 speed auto and it is pretty good too. 10 speeds are just as necessary as millisecond DSG gear changes in a family hatch are .
I don't know if they said that about the 6 speed, ZF did say it about the 8-speed. They didn't say there was no benefit to more than 8 gears, they just said the benefits diminish relative to the cost. Maybe that has changed? Presumably Ford and GM wouldn't do it if they couldn't sell their vehicles priced competitively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2016, 11:40 PM   #70
MOND30
If You Seek AU

I know we've already covered the differences between petrol and diesel, but my diesel Kuga at 110km/h in 6th is sitting on a massive 2200rpm, so I'm all for a few more cogs in there.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5x..._OYiDekVUlmEhg
MOND30 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post