Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-03-2006, 03:39 PM   #1
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default How much is my car worth?

I have just got a new job in the city, and I hardly drive my car anymore, so I am thinking of selling my car and want to know what I would get for it. It’s going to have all the dents and scratched taken out and re-sprayed, with the chrome stripes repaired soon, interior is like new.

2001 AU series 2 Futura Classic
4 litre Auto
91,000kms
Sparkling Burgandy
17” AU series 1 Tickford option rims with 235/45 Pirelli P6 “All Seasons”
Tickford Springs and Sports Rider Gas Shocks
New Eclipse CD5435 CD/MP3 player
Velour interior with full electric windows and mirrors
Cruise Control

It owes me about 15k atm, so I would like to get as close to that as possible, what do people think?

ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 03:46 PM   #2
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicAU
I have just got a new job in the city, and I hardly drive my car anymore, so I am thinking of selling my car and want to know what I would get for it. It’s going to have all the dents and scratched taken out and re-sprayed, with the chrome stripes repaired soon, interior is like new.

2001 AU series 2 Futura Classic
4 litre Auto
91,000kms
Sparkling Burgandy
17” AU series 1 Tickford option rims with 235/45 Pirelli P6 “All Seasons”
Tickford Springs and Sports Rider Gas Shocks
New Eclipse CD5435 CD/MP3 player
Velour interior with full electric windows and mirrors
Cruise Control

It owes me about 15k atm, so I would like to get as close to that as possible, what do people think?
I'm not sure you want to hear this, but I don't reckon it's worth 15K. Even though you've got some good stuff on it, a Futura just doesn't get the big dollars.

Others might tell you different though.

Whatever the case, I hope you get a good and fair price for it. All the best with it.

KUP (Keep us posted!)

GK

This is from Redbook, you have good kays and extras so you never know!

2001 FORD FALCON

AU II Classic Futura Sedan 4dr Auto 4sp 4.0i
Prices based on km 80,000 - 130,000
Trade in price guide* $7,700 - $9,000
National average price - private sale* $10,100 - $12,700
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 03:56 PM   #3
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pretty low kays, nice colour, options aren't bad. I'd whack $12k on it.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 04:00 PM   #4
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

checkout drive.com.au and use the market eveluator on the site , very good on giving a adverage of what they are worth.
Personally i recon being just a Futura , prolly around $10,000 maybe at the very very most , sorry.
Never know though , definatelly sell it private though or u'll get no-where near what you are after ;) .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 04:05 PM   #5
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

http://www.drive.com.au/buy/market_v...&body=4D+SEDAN there ya go , seems i was pretty close .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 04:06 PM   #6
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As XR6-VCT-2000 says, you will most likely want to go private sale, and around $10k or so should be what you're expecting. Anything higher and you might be disappointed.

If you trade, you'll only be looking at around $8k :(

[edit] I stand corrected- after looking around you could probably go for about $12k private sale. I still think the trade in price is fairly accurate (I would not trust Drive trade-in figures, RedBook is probably closer to the mark). Anyhow, good luck with it!
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 04:14 PM   #7
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Honest answer is if it owes you $15k if you sell you will just throw away $5k.

This is depreciation for you.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 04:37 PM   #8
My AU

Did you all just read
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=42194
Holy heck
My AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 04:38 PM   #9
My AU

Now don't go doing that, will you Classic?!
My AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 05:37 PM   #10
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Best advice, fix it up and keep it..

You'll be lucky to get 12 k for it privately, as other have said around 8 k if you go near a dealer with it, looks like its a really nice car so if it was me Id be keeping it!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 06:10 PM   #11
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
Best advice, fix it up and keep it..

You'll be lucky to get 12 k for it privately, as other have said around 8 k if you go near a dealer with it, looks like its a really nice car so if it was me Id be keeping it!
ShockWaveXR6na's on the money I reckon! So is Jonbays. Keep it. If you sell it, you'll lose $5K, why do it?

GK
Old 26-03-2006, 03:01 AM   #12
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks heaps for the input guys. I would really love to keep it, but i never get to drive it anymore, and i am kinda swaying towards getting my own place. So I am not 100% sure as to which way to go. I just started my first full time job, and want a bit more freedom. (I'm only 21, so its a little less lame!) But if i am only going to get just over ten, then its probably not worth selling, as i reccon i have gone just that little bit too far with the money spent on it.
Anyway, i'll let you guys know how it goes, and what i end up deciding, although if i want to sell, then the longer i wait the worse it gets i suppose.

I shure hope its worth more than 5 at least!!
Old 26-03-2006, 09:02 AM   #13
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Thanks heaps for the input guys. I would really love to keep it, but i never get to drive it anymore, and i am kinda swaying towards getting my own place. So I am not 100% sure as to which way to go. I just started my first full time job, and want a bit more freedom. (I'm only 21, so its a little less lame!) But if i am only going to get just over ten, then its probably not worth selling, as i reccon i have gone just that little bit too far with the money spent on it.
Anyway, i'll let you guys know how it goes, and what i end up deciding, although if i want to sell, then the longer i wait the worse it gets i suppose.

I shure hope its worth more than 5 at least!!
I'm sure you'll get more than 5k for it. Then again, you don't have to rush to make a decision either. Take another few weeks to ponder.

It would be sad to let a sorted and reliable car go, on a decision made in haste. Not saying you're being hasty, but if you were, and changed your mind later, that would be bad! LOL!

How many guys have said over the years, that was the best car/bike, I should "never have sold it!" LOL!

All the best with your decision.

GK
Old 26-03-2006, 09:52 AM   #14
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
as i reccon i have gone just that little bit too far with the money spent on it.
Unfortunate fact of life at AFF. I refuse to actually count up what mine owes me in mods :

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 10:45 AM   #15
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Do you need the $$$? I'm in a similar situation re work in city, no drive car until weekend and we have the wifes car. So I have three choices.
1 Sell it and lose money (had LPG put on)
2. Sell it to my 21 yr old son (and never get ANY money for it!! LOL )
3. Keep it. My plan was to make this ford last at least 10 years then see what I wanted to get. So I figure that with the much lower Kms I will do over the next three years I will easily make the 10 year mark. I could even reduce insure cost by just garaging the car etc but I like going for a drive on the weekend.
Just a though
Uncle Ken
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 10:59 AM   #16
GK
Walking with God

It's an odd term I reckon "what the car owes me!"

How many of us get back the full monetary amount of what we invest into our vehicles? The overwealming majority of us wouldn't! Most cars depreciate in value. What is beloved today is just a superceeded model tomorrow. All this equals less money when we go to sell our pride and joy!

If we were honest, we'd say that the money we put in shows that we have pride in our vehicle and have a desire to improve it, modify it or take the challenge of extract more from it. We love our cars. The dollars we put in are rarely returned to us as dollars. Rather, it's the satisfaction of getting a mod right, or that little upgrade of comfort, or the "bling" factor, or getting a "that's a great ride mate" comment from others, particularly on the forum, or just getting it the way we want it, because we CAN! That's the real return I reckon, the satisfaction we get when we look at it, drive it, fix it, wash it!

That can't be measured in dollars.

Well, there's my philosophical 2 bob's worth for today! LOL!

GK
Old 26-03-2006, 09:40 PM   #17
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats a good philosophy GK, i like it! I just dont have enough money to show how i really feel. I'd like to move out, and i doubt i can i afford a place with parking facilities anywhere near the city.
Old 26-03-2006, 10:46 PM   #18
GK
Walking with God

Sad thing is, if you sell it, and want another AU in a few years, a good and clean example with low kays will be all that harder to get hold of.

Aaaaahhhh nuts! LOL! At least they'll be a lot cheaper!

GK