Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-04-2006, 09:02 AM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Intake Manifold Runner Control

Hey - What would happen if I permantly opened the IMRC valve (as it normally only opens at 3800 rpm?

Would this give me any gain or anything, or is it best setup as is?

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2006, 09:05 AM   #2
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Top end power would remain the same, bottom end power would be lost. Leave it as is, the BBM on EF-AU is alteady pretty much optimal.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2006, 10:13 AM   #3
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Wire it up long run then short run and try it and see what you think.

If you can feel the diffrence a CAI makes you will feel the difference this makes.

The long run works well 2500-3500rpm. The short run 4000-6000rpm.

problem is neither od these powerbands is briad enough for a road car with a 4-5 speed box to use. The ecu switch over is there to fix this problem.

The R&D Ford spent on designing and fine tuning this is something you just won't be able to improve on.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2006, 11:04 AM   #4
quest

It will probally have a bit of a lumpy idle
quest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2006, 12:35 PM   #5
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quest
It will probally have a bit of a lumpy idle
WTF

Where do you get these ideas from?
Old 08-04-2006, 12:39 PM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
WTF

Where do you get these ideas from?
Look at his location - I'd say that's where he gets the ideas from.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2006, 01:13 PM   #7
quest

See it all the time on Windstar mini vans, and it rarely sets a code in the ECM
Maybe the people up here are a little more picky than down there with idle quality as they spend more time in traffic jams
Old 08-04-2006, 01:57 PM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Don't those windstars run a V6? We are talking about a straight 6 here.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2006, 03:13 PM   #9
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

What I want to know is the difference if done. I don't really want to have to fiddle around wit it. Is there a difference at openening the short run at a lower rpm?

Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 08-04-2006, 03:47 PM   #10
Nik

you can disconnect, just pulll the vac hose off where it connects to the little plunger at the front of the bbm , put a screw or someting in the hose to block it off . try it for yourself and see what it dose.
i tried it while i was at the drags one night and it didn't make one bit off difference to my times .going buy the seat of your pants feel ,it makes it feel like a slug down low.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 01:09 AM   #11
quest

Yes, Windstars are V6 but it should still have the same effect on an I6
All the IMRC's I've seen default to open or high speed mode when anything goes wrong
So at idle, the air velocity is too slow causing poor fuel atomization & a bit of a choppy idle
Old 09-04-2006, 07:11 AM   #12
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

lol so funny - Yesterday I did some mods to my airbox, and I now get this awsome deep intake roar only when I put my foot flat to the floor. Funny this is, the roar stops dead as soon the the IMRC Valve opens.

Old 09-04-2006, 09:34 AM   #13
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Lets knock this one on the head.

At idle in drive or neutral even with my dev3HL cam idling at 550 or 750 rpm I can grab hold of thr BBM lever and put it into short run from long run and it makes no difference. Exactly as I suspected it would.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:10 AM   #14
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Ok, so if it makes FA difference, why have it at all. Not another Brock invention is it?

Old 09-04-2006, 10:14 AM   #15
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

it makes a LOT of difference when the revs are up at about 4000rpm. Makes no difference under that... and if its forced into short runner mode has no real effect on idle as Jonbays said.

Old 09-04-2006, 10:19 AM   #16
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

What I mean by that is, if it makes no difference down low being fully open, but needs it open at high revs, why doesn't it just stay permentally open?

Old 09-04-2006, 10:26 AM   #17
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

it needs to be closed after you move off idle up to ~3500rpm as thats when the long runners are more efficient. After that short runners are more efficient. Its providing th best of both worlds. What happens at idle is irrelevant as there is no load on the engine so it makes no difference what setting its in.

Old 09-04-2006, 11:31 AM   #18
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

What I meant to say was at idle switching it manually from LONG RUN to short run makes no difference!

These BBM manifolds run long path from idle to 3800rpm then switch to short path.

At idle with no real intake flow or velocity of the intake charge the BBM has little impact!
Old 09-04-2006, 02:33 PM   #19
quest

The proof is in the scan tool... If you watch Long & short term fuel trims
, you would see that the ECM compensate about 8-10% for the abnormal air flow at idle
A code won't be set until the 15% threshold is broken