Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-04-2006, 05:14 PM   #1
mattsAU1

Default Injectors

Hey all, just been told my AU1 needs new injectors, its a 6 and what i wanna know is what options do i have when it comes to replacing them, haven't got a money tree in the backyard but would love to maybe increase its performance a little. any suggestions will be greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance
Cheers Matt

mattsAU1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 05:28 PM   #2
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

replace them all with a set of Flux Capacitors , seems to be a batch of them going around on this forum..lol , if you can't get any locally - then try going Back to the Future and ask Marty or the Professor for some ;) ! . ..lmao ..

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 05:31 PM   #3
mattsAU1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
replace them all with a set of Flux Capacitors , seems to be a batch of them going around on this forum..lol , if you can't get any locally - then try going Back to the Future and ask Marty or the Professor for some ;) ! . ..lmao ..
thanks heaps bud, a cheer up at just the right time lol
Problem is i dunno if i got enough garbage ( banana skins and the likes) to keep my baby going
lmao
Old 07-04-2006, 05:47 PM   #4
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsAU1
Problem is i dunno if i got enough garbage ( banana skins and the likes) to keep my baby going
lmao
Thats ok , there is plenty of holdens about , could just chop them up and run it on that - what better 100% garbage could you ask for ! ...lol

ok , on a serious note now , about your injectors , i can't really go personally recomending brands or anything as i havent messed with enough of them to do so, but if your maybe looking at higher performamce mods later down the track - then maybe try get some larger capacity injectors so they can supply more fuel when needed with some mods later donw the track , not really necessary imo though unless your gonna turbo it later or something larger - i have read a few things about the 'Bosch Blue-Tops' being good injectors , they have had alot of good reviews , im sure someone else here will be able to help you out more on this topic ... cheers , gl

Old 07-04-2006, 05:52 PM   #5
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
lmao
Banana skins, leftover beer and the can too if I remember correctly, were all good fuel for the Mr Fusion LOL!

"Engine running, flux capasitor...fluxing!" LOL!

Hope you get it sorted. Bye the way, who told you that you needed new injectors? Do you trust them?

Was there an issue driving, or was it just news they dumped on you during a routine service?

GK
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 06:17 PM   #6
mattsAU1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Banana skins, leftover beer and the can too if I remember correctly, were all good fuel for the Mr Fusion LOL!

"Engine running, flux capasitor...fluxing!" LOL!

Hope you get it sorted. Bye the way, who told you that you needed new injectors? Do you trust them?

Was there an issue driving, or was it just news they dumped on you during a routine service?

GK
Mechanic family friend, he services it every 10k so yeah i trust him, as much as u can trust a mechanic anyways.
It was blowing a puff of black smoke on cold startup and then again a puff of black smoke when i gave it a boot full.
He told me to start with just grab some decent injector cleaner and give it a hard time, he said maybe there was a lil bit of carbon stuck in the injector itself, just went and started it then and no smoke when started cold and reved it a couple of times and again nothing so ill just see how it goes for the moment.
Planning on going away fopr easter break and i got about a 1500km round trip to deal with and didnt want anything to go wrong so
Old 07-04-2006, 06:28 PM   #7
Nik

if its blowin black smoke ,i'd say your o2 sensor has had it .it sounds strange that your injectors are stuffed .
how many k's has your au done?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 06:28 PM   #8
geza
Donating Member1

Hi Matt

Your standard injectors are capable of suppling an I6 with about 200kw. So unless your planning to go forced induction of any kind, just replace them with stokies and save your money.

Hope this helps
Gerry
Old 07-04-2006, 06:30 PM   #9
mattsAU1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik
if its blowin black smoke ,i'd say your o2 sensor has had it .it sounds strange that your injectors are stuffed .
how many k's has your au done?
just ticked over 155k, still on the original injectors to the best of my knowledge
Old 07-04-2006, 06:33 PM   #10
mattsAU1

Quote:
Originally Posted by geza
Hi Matt

Your standard injectors are capable of suppling an I6 with about 200kw. So unless your planning to go forced induction of any kind, just replace them with stokies and save your money.

Hope this helps
Gerry
Cheers geza, got a price on reco injectors, $35 each, changeover
Old 07-04-2006, 06:50 PM   #11
Nik

if its only done 155k i'd doubt its your injectors ,i'd be looking at a new o2 sensor .
Old 08-04-2006, 05:38 PM   #12
mattsAU1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik
if its only done 155k i'd doubt its your injectors ,i'd be looking at a new o2 sensor .
if it is the O2 sensor is there any way i can maybe clean it or?
dont really have the cash for a newie and dont know a great deal about them to be honest
Old 09-04-2006, 12:19 AM   #13
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Yeah if its just a bit of smoke that is ya problem imo i'de rather just try a bottle here and there of the injector cleaner when ya fill ya tank up. Not really much that goes wrong with injectors , they probably are just gunked up , if a bit of smoke is the only problem then there might be a chance thats its the rings wearing . Might be even possible that its something as small as the pcv valve sticking open (on the breather hose that runs from the rocker cover to the inlet manifold ) - had that happen on my old 302 years ago and it cause that problem .. gl anyway .

Old 09-04-2006, 11:48 AM   #14
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Cheers geza, got a price on reco injectors, $35 each, changeover
Is that $35 times 6 injectors or $35 for the whole bank of them?

Surely an O2 sensor is going to be cheaper than $210?

GK
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 04:18 PM   #15
Nik

i got one for my au for about $90.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:39 PM   #16
mattsAU1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Is that $35 times 6 injectors or $35 for the whole bank of them?

Surely an O2 sensor is going to be cheaper than $210?

GK
$35 each injector, as far as i know
Old 09-04-2006, 06:40 PM   #17
mattsAU1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik
i got one for my au for about $90.
where did u manage to get an O2 sensor for $90 if u dont mind me asking?
i was told they worth about $200 give or take?
Old 09-04-2006, 06:42 PM   #18
mattsAU1

Quote:
Yeah if its just a bit of smoke that is ya problem imo i'de rather just try a bottle here and there of the injector cleaner when ya fill ya tank up. Not really much that goes wrong with injectors , they probably are just gunked up , if a bit of smoke is the only problem then there might be a chance thats its the rings wearing . Might be even possible that its something as small as the pcv valve sticking open (on the breather hose that runs from the rocker cover to the inlet manifold ) - had that happen on my old 302 years ago and it cause that problem .. gl anyway .
the smoke is pure black and dis appears almost instantly, if it was rings the smoke would be blue and coming out of the exhaust for as long as the car is running, the only time i get smoke at all is on cold start up and when i give it a boot full, no smoke at all at idle, i hope its not the rings but that is my understanding of when ur rings r shot
Old 09-04-2006, 07:05 PM   #19
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Not saying they are totally shot , but they could be just starting to wear maybe . You stated that its only when the engine is cold and when booting it , all sorta symptoms of ring wearing. I'm not saying it is this for sure ! - check everyhting else first as this is about the most expensive and pain in the *** fix along these lines, you could allways do a compression test on ya cylinders , that will tell you if its the rings or not ;) . Just another thing maybe ... u haven't topped up the oil to high have you ( too much oil pressure ) ?? , do this and you could have the excess from all the pressure spitting oil back up the breather pipe from the rockercover into the intake and burning it off , causing ya black smoke - just another maybe ..

Old 09-04-2006, 07:22 PM   #20
mattsAU1

Quote:
Not saying they are totally shot , but they could be just starting to wear maybe . You stated that its only when the engine is cold and when booting it , all sorta symptoms of ring wearing. I'm not saying it is this for sure ! - check everyhting else first as this is about the most expensive and pain in the *** fix along these lines, you could allways do a compression test on ya cylinders , that will tell you if its the rings or not ;) . Just another thing maybe ... u haven't topped up the oil to high have you ( too much oil pressure ) ?? , do this and you could have the excess from all the pressure spitting oil back up the breather pipe from the rockercover into the intake and burning it off , causing ya black smoke - just another maybe ..
Ok cool, didnt know that rings on their way out blew black smoke at all, thought it was always blue right from the start, when i first realised it was blowing a puff of smoke i checked the oil level and it had used a lil bit, so i did top it up but it still bout 4-5mm above the top up mark on the dipstick so i dont think i have topped it up too far, might go the compression test i think and see how that goes, sucks that one symptom can be linked to so many different illnesses and when ur short on cash i wanna try work my way from the least expensive and see how it goes
Cheers 4 ur help
Old 09-04-2006, 08:05 PM   #21
Nik

Quote:
where did u manage to get an O2 sensor for $90 if u dont mind me asking?
i was told they worth about $200 give or take?

lees spare parts ,up here in brissy .i think he dose mail orders