Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-08-2021, 07:55 PM   #31
nstg8a

Default Re: Fuel through the $2 a litre barrier in Sydney!

I just keep filling up at Costco.

Prices have dropped in the last couple of days, the servos were in the high $1.90s, Costco when up 10c when all the servos jumped 40c.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-08-2021, 08:00 PM   #32
slowsnake
Banned

I'm goanna try find my 1977 fuel notebook, Sydney to Cape Tribulation, took my bosses sons HR 186, he was on L plates and did most of the driving, and he loved it, he was the worst driver ever ( started drinking big ) later in life, but that's another story!

But left Guildford and from memory 11cents a litre, fish and chips had crept up from 15cents in 1969 to 45cents in 1977, will find that notebook, old spiralex yellow one, but I had a few of em, still got the costing from my drive to Perth from Sydney in 2007, I remember RON95 was pushing $1:90c litre anywhere from Caiguna and Eucla and cheaper at Kalgoorlie, but long way to transport fuel in a tanker, it's always an empty tanker trip back, so I accept the high cost.

But no demand, no supply eh fellows

Cheers Billy
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2021, 08:05 PM   #33
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Prices have dropped in the last couple of days, the servos were in the high $1.90s, Costco when up 10c when all the servos jumped 40c.

If I was you I'd go out to Amberley and siphon a bit of "jet fuel" that will clear the pipes in ya car, lol, hahaha

Cheers Billy

Last edited by slowsnake; 23-08-2021 at 08:19 PM.
Old 23-08-2021, 08:14 PM   #34
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

I filled up at my local (ACT) BP today with 98 (seemed like a good idea if prices are going up now) and it was 3c/L more than a few weeks ago. Just under $1.79/L. I had a lot more than half a tank (I only fill up every 6-8 weeks) but it cost me $55. Sheesh!

I've been using BP since my interstate trip in April, for the past 8 years it's always been Caltex, I never bothered to ask what my car was tuned on... Seems to be a huge difference, I throw away my Woolworths 4c off dockets now.
JasonACT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2021, 08:15 PM   #35
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

I remember the $1 litre barrier...I'm gonna sell the car and walk they all screamed...
Didn't happen.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2021, 09:17 PM   #36
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel View Post
I remember the $1 litre barrier...I'm gonna sell the car and walk they all screamed...
Didn't happen.
But it spelt the end of the Falcon and Commodore. Sales started their downward spiral after that (especially for the Falcon). People will move to even smaller engine cars or other forms of propulsion.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2021, 12:16 AM   #37
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
In case people don't know, you can get 4c off shell just by downloading carsales app on your phone, and putting an ODO reading into your profile. Its valid all the time, and it can be piggy backed with other vouchers. So carsales app + coles docket + the occasional fly buys special, you can get 12-16c off easy.
Alternatively, download the Linkt app if you're a e-tag holder in NSW, constant 4c off under Rewards
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2021, 07:10 AM   #38
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
But it spelt the end of the Falcon and Commodore. Sales started their downward spiral after that (especially for the Falcon). People will move to even smaller engine cars or other forms of propulsion.
If I lived in inner suburbia, I'd consider a scooter, especially if I'm just going around on 50km/h roads.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2021, 07:41 AM   #39
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Rubbish,it had nothing to do with that(fact).
Old 24-08-2021, 08:49 AM   #40
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post

Yep, picked up fuel at that Costco on Saturday for the Typhoon. Driving towards Costco, it was a sea of misery watching all the other stations around Ipswich at about 20-30 currents a litre more!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2021, 10:33 AM   #41
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy View Post
Yep, picked up fuel at that Costco on Saturday for the Typhoon. Driving towards Costco, it was a sea of misery watching all the other stations around Ipswich at about 20-30 currents a litre more!
In Melbourne I have read some of the Servos near the Costco outlets have a more competitive price during the hours Costco is open then up the price when they are closed.
EBSXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2021, 10:40 AM   #42
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBSXR6 View Post
In Melbourne I have read some of the Servos near the Costco outlets have a more competitive price during the hours Costco is open then up the price when they are closed.
Happens in Sydney all the time.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Old 24-08-2021, 10:46 AM   #43
FroudeyBrand

Its funny how its gone from regional NSW to be like 30 to 40 cents more expensive then Sydney to do a flip and regional NSW to be 30 to 40 cents cheaper then Sydney.... its pure daylight robbery, service stations trying to get back the money they are loosing from instore sales.

(used to work in service station industry and 90% of service stations only make a 6% profit from fuel sales the business relies heavily on those smoke/chip/coke and coffee sales)
FroudeyBrand is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2021, 11:18 AM   #44
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=(used to work in service station industry and 90% of service stations only make a 6% profit from fuel sales the business relies heavily on those smoke/chip/coke and coffee sales)[/QUOTE]

A friends in Laws had a servo about 2.5hrs from Melbourne on a main road lots of tourists stopping etc kids wanted drinks, lollies etc that where the profits were made.
EBSXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2021, 12:25 PM   #45
slowsnake
Banned

Not sure if it's the same now due to internet banking, but I worked a servo dog watch in the mid 70's, the tanker would pull up and go to a "brick safe".
This was a small safe the size of a brick built into the wall, the driver would open the safe and no cheque no fuel.
So the fuel has to be paid for at a set price and am not sure if the servo operator gets to choose price and keep the profit or the seller, Golden Fleece or the government priced it.

The Neptune down the road could take fuel from any distributor and sell as he liked!

Cheers Billy
Old 15-11-2021, 09:15 AM   #46
FroudeyBrand

Went to Penrith yesterday and I am glad my AU has great fuel consumption.... when I am paying 147.5 to 151.9 in Bathurst be it E10 or normal unleaded to 98, and in West Syd from 177.7 to almost 2 bucks from E10 to 98 pure robbery.
FroudeyBrand is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2021, 09:39 AM   #47
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some Shell and BP in Gold coast and brisbane are 1.93 for unleaded!

98 well over $2 a litre.
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2021, 09:47 AM   #48
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just another reason to not live in the city, stable 1.61 for 91 out in the bush for the last few weeks. Don't know how you city folk put up with the "cycles"
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2021, 10:21 AM   #49
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8 View Post
Just another reason to not live in the city, stable 1.61 for 91 out in the bush for the last few weeks. Don't know how you city folk put up with the "cycles"
Would be interesting to know if this phenomenon is an Australianism or not.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2021, 01:11 PM   #50
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8 View Post
Speaking for Queensland, I live in Hervey Bay. Right now the cheapest fuel around here is $1.577. Cairns is $1.599. It is a stable weekly figure.

It was probably 4 to 6 weeks ago we were bouncing between $1.30 and $1.40. At that time we were undercutting anything south of Gympie buy roughly 50c to 60c a litre.

Right now, as in today, Brisbane seems to have lows of $1.539 to a high of $1.939.

It completely astounds me that we are paying so "little" for fuel in comparison to south of Gympie, even though it needs to be transported here a fair distance out of the way of the Bruce Highway. But like you we are quite thankful it seems to operate this out outside of the populous areas.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2021, 02:05 PM   #51
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79 View Post
Speaking for Queensland, I live in Hervey Bay. Right now the cheapest fuel around here is $1.577. Cairns is $1.599. It is a stable weekly figure.

It was probably 4 to 6 weeks ago we were bouncing between $1.30 and $1.40. At that time we were undercutting anything south of Gympie buy roughly 50c to 60c a litre.

Right now, as in today, Brisbane seems to have lows of $1.539 to a high of $1.939.

It completely astounds me that we are paying so "little" for fuel in comparison to south of Gympie, even though it needs to be transported here a fair distance out of the way of the Bruce Highway. But like you we are quite thankful it seems to operate this out outside of the populous areas.
Noticed that when I went to Fraser. Fuel got cheaper the further north we went.
Old 15-11-2021, 03:22 PM   #52
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Noticed that when I went to Fraser. Fuel got cheaper the further north we went.
It's stupidly unexplainable.

Up until about 12 to 18 months ago Hervey Bay used to pay 10c/litre extra over Maryborough. Apparent reason was transport costs for that extra 40km off the Bruce added that 10c. But we are now on par with Scaryborough for price. That 10c difference is gone.

Around the same time frame Bundaberg was always 5 to 7c cheaper than us. Apparently its cheaper still to transport fuel 100km further north and 20km off the highway. But again we are now on par.

Every few weeks some idiot pops up in the local FB pages complaining fuel has gone up 2c to $1.55 or something. I pop in and remind them they should be thankful considering Brisbane is $1.80 or $1.90 at the same time. Then they tell me to p*ss of because I don't know what I'm talking about. Morons here are in a little bubble and know nothing about what's happing outside the town border.

Stunned. Confused. But still thankful there is one redeeming thing about living in this town.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post