Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-04-2006, 12:04 PM   #1
TICK4D-TAS
Club Moderator

Default Intake piping

Hi guys, im trying to get a mandrel bent intake sorted for my xr8. i bought a 60deg. 3" mandrell bend. so thats got that part sortted. but i need to see some photos of what other au v8 owners have done with regards to the intake sensor. i know the original herrod ones you used to be able to buy had a hole and grommet that you could just push it in. so if any one has a photo of the actual sensor part up close, can you post it here so i can get a good look before i go drilling / welding something on.

thanks
tim

TICK4D-TAS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 02:03 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDXR6
Hi guys, im trying to get a mandrel bent intake sorted for my xr8. i bought a 60deg. 3" mandrell bend. so thats got that part sortted. but i need to see some photos of what other au v8 owners have done with regards to the intake sensor. i know the original herrod ones you used to be able to buy had a hole and grommet that you could just push it in. so if any one has a photo of the actual sensor part up close, can you post it here so i can get a good look before i go drilling / welding something on.

thanks
tim
I did this at one stage on mine. I just measured the diameter of the sensor (from memory it was 9mm, or 3/8"), went to supercheap and bought that sized grommet, and drilled a hole that was just slightly bigger (10mm or 7/16"). I then also used silicon sealant to totally seal the sensor into the grommet.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 06:34 PM   #3
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The herrod one just includes a grommet, you have to drill your own hole.
The grommet fits quite tightly, so no need for sealants or anything.
but that all depends on how big you make the hole!.
Thata all, just drill a hole,get a grommet the fits your sensor nice and snug and slip it in.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 06:42 PM   #4
TICK4D-TAS
Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstoj
The herrod one just includes a grommet, you have to drill your own hole.
The grommet fits quite tightly, so no need for sealants or anything.
but that all depends on how big you make the hole!.
Thata all, just drill a hole,get a grommet the fits your sensor nice and snug and slip it in.
cool, thanks for that. i was just wondering if it mattered how far the sensor went in to the intake, as with the original rubber tubing it only has about 4mm sticking through, but with the new one it will have more like 8 or 10mm. as long as that doesnt matter i will just drill and get a grommet.

thanks for the help guys.
TICK4D-TAS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 10:09 PM   #5
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

Default Intake pipe

Hey all as i said last time i bought a 45 deg pipe and installed it in my car for the sensor i cut out the holder off the orig pipe only $20 to replace i also cut up the ends and used them instead of silicone clamps. and i just siliconed it onto the pipe so the sensor sticks into the pipe the same as it did on orig pipe. hope it helps it looks ok i think for only a $18 pipe and $4 hose clamps.
NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post