Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-04-2006, 11:00 PM   #1
Mangi
Mangi

Default Which Diff - 3.9 or 3.45 or money better spent elsewhere?

Hey All
I have a AU XR6 Series III and I am getting my diff done tommorow as my car is a single spinner. Getting it changed to LSD. I was thinking is it worth the extra cash to change from 3.45 to 3.9 or would the money be better spent on other mods. I Currently have Herrod Extractors, 2.5" Hi flow Exhaust, Unichip, 3" mandrel bend Air intake with K&N filter. I am looking at Doing further mods like Cam etc but is there also any advice on my setup currently and how it can be improved or what to add? Also I have been Quote $770 for the conversion with new parts fitted. Is this good? I dont know how much extra it would cost to get the Ratio changed to 3.9 but also roughly how much would this cost? Whats a good price cause i will ask tommorow and i dont want to get riped off. Oh by the way i am getting it done at
"Automotive Differential & Transmission Centre @ 114 Gaffney St Coburg VIC 3058"
Are they good?

Any one who has done diff changes might like to post: what? where? how much? about their diffs and what they think of them!

Mangi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 11:05 PM   #2
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangi
Hey All
I have a AU XR6 Series III and I am getting my diff done tommorow as my car is a single spinner. Getting it changed to LSD. I was thinking is it worth the extra cash to change from 3.45 to 3.9 or would the money be better spent on other mods. I Currently have Herrod Extractors, 2.5" Hi flow Exhaust, Unichip, 3" mandrel bend Air intake with K&N filter. I am looking at Doing further mods like Cam etc but is there also any advice on my setup currently and how it can be improved or what to add? Also I have been Quote $770 for the conversion with new parts fitted. Is this good? I dont know how much extra it would cost to get the Ratio changed to 3.9 but also roughly how much would this cost? Whats a good price cause i will ask tommorow and i dont want to get riped off. Oh by the way i am getting it done at
"Automotive Differential & Transmission Centre @ 114 Gaffney St Coburg VIC 3058"
Are they good?

Any one who has done diff changes might like to post: what? where? how much? about their diffs and what they think of them!
Neither - i would go 4.11's - i swear by them , had them in my XE with a 4 speed auto , kicked arsss on takeoff , ill be adding 4.11's to mine soon as i can afford it. But if your gonna go either 1 go the 3.9 imo.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 09:25 AM   #3
TCK-098

Ive got 3.45 and i was going to 3.7 but it would make no differance so the 3.9 are going in but price wise everywhere charges differnat even though they proberlly use the same components.
Old 19-04-2006, 09:29 AM   #4
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I did the conversion to 3.73 diff lsd.I can say that I noticed no difference. For 1400 dollars I wish I bought a streetfighter head.
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 01:30 PM   #5
EvilChief
Boost Addict

i chnaged from 3.08 to 3.71 and put a manual into it at the same time and it made a huge diff
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 01:36 PM   #6
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Have ya got a hi-stall converter? Might be worth trialling that before a diff upgrade...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 02:54 PM   #7
Mangi
Mangi

well i took the car in this morning and i have decided to go the 3.9! I pick it up at 4pm so i will write back later tonite after i have had some fun with it and let you know if it was money well spent! oh by the way do you have to run in the diff for a certain amount of k's before you can torture it a bit or are they generally good to go from start?
Old 19-04-2006, 02:55 PM   #8
Mangi
Mangi

Oh by the way its costing me $1300 for the lsd conversion and the 3.9
Old 19-04-2006, 03:17 PM   #9
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

To bad if you do. I picked mine up from having the diff done... 100M down the road, U turn and a MASSIVE burnout.... right infront of a speed camera van....hmmm....:

Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 19-04-2006, 03:39 PM   #10
AU:PROJECT:UTE
Drought Breaker

Sounds very good Mangi, I'll be keen to hear your results as I'm thinking the next thing for my ute should be 3.9 gears + LSD.
Oh I'm assuming yours has IRS?
All the best and hope it rewards you!

Tim
ALL COUNTRY: SW Platt Mccann 5 Poster, GME 4706 7' Whippys, Uniden UH015SX UHF AND Scanner combo, Narva Taurus Bull lights, Hawk Grille, Series II Pursuit Side Skirts, Stickers on the back window and more eartags than a mob of cranky angus

ALL GO: XR6 VCT donk and ECU NO MORE!!
Now even MORE fun with 200kw XR8 and 5 speed, Tickford Cluster, 3.45 LSD, full custom twin system w/- 3" chrome angle cut tips :
AU:PROJECT:UTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 03:47 PM   #11
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Is it possible to get 3.45 w/ LSD or 3.23 w/ LSD?

I've got LSD on mine but im not too sure of the ratio.

Old 19-04-2006, 04:33 PM   #12
AU:PROJECT:UTE
Drought Breaker

Unhappy

Yep it sure is possible havepersonally seen 3.08;3.23;3.45 and 3.73 all of which were factory LSD. There was an AUII XLS usedy here at work and I noticed it had an LSD in 3.45, I kick myself now for not taking the couple hours to swap the diff's over into my ute and vice versa before they went and whole saled it...
ALL COUNTRY: SW Platt Mccann 5 Poster, GME 4706 7' Whippys, Uniden UH015SX UHF AND Scanner combo, Narva Taurus Bull lights, Hawk Grille, Series II Pursuit Side Skirts, Stickers on the back window and more eartags than a mob of cranky angus

ALL GO: XR6 VCT donk and ECU NO MORE!!
Now even MORE fun with 200kw XR8 and 5 speed, Tickford Cluster, 3.45 LSD, full custom twin system w/- 3" chrome angle cut tips :
AU:PROJECT:UTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 04:57 PM   #13
BI6TIM
SnortPerformance.com

EbII and ED also had an option for 3.27 LSD. 3.23 gears were from EA's and EBI's, they went back to them with the AU for some reason. The 3.27 gears only got a short run.
Also the 3.45 were available from EBI Sxr6 all through the XR range and some Fairmont Ghia's, right up till now. All were available with factory LSD.
Just a bit of trivial info, could be helpfull to someone maybe.
BI6TIM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 05:03 PM   #14
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser

I've got a 3.45 LSD in my ute, which came off an AU XR sedan.
Old 19-04-2006, 05:14 PM   #15
LOWAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangi
well i took the car in this morning and i have decided to go the 3.9! I pick it up at 4pm so i will write back later tonite after i have had some fun with it and let you know if it was money well spent! oh by the way do you have to run in the diff for a certain amount of k's before you can torture it a bit or are they generally good to go from start?
I got told to run it in for 1000 km before giving it stick. Also i paid $1200 for my new LSD and good 2nd 3.7 gears, by good i mean no whine while driving.

BTW- is you car manual or auto?
LOWAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 02:15 PM   #16
XITED_6
Was It Something I Said!

i have a good 2nd hand lsd centre with my 3:45 gears cost me $550 from Preston Automatics. Best mod ive done the LSD I was told to take it easy for approx 2 tanks of fuel approx 1000km

i believe u can get yourself some 2nd hand good condition 3:9 gear ratios from the wreckers on the 89 model nissan skyline/pintara pretty cheap
XITED_6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 02:18 PM   #17
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser

If it is LSD, it will be 3.45.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 09:41 PM   #18
Futura01
horsepower

Sorry guys quick question ? from the information gathered if i was to buy a xr6 lsd 3.45 ratio center would this bold straight into my standard non lsd diff in my au2 futura ????
thanks
Futura01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2006, 12:49 AM   #19
Mangi
Mangi

sorry for the late reply but the 3.9 is great!!!!!! I got told 500km to run in but i have already been accelerateing hard at around 200km (couldnt resist)!!! I love the lsd as well so much difference!!!! By the way the $1300 included brand new bearings, center, diff oil etc, new everything but a second hand gear ratio which i was told was in excellent condition and so far no whine so fingers crossed!!! I seriously reccomend getting 3.9 lsd, well worth it! By the way my car is non irs as well! I will be there on sunday so i hope to speak to most of you all then. Thanks for the help. will keep you posted on how it continues to go.
Cant wait to launch of the line and really see what it can do!
Old 21-04-2006, 02:29 AM   #20
FPVWEPN
Team Urinal Cake Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
If it is LSD, it will be 3.45.
Actually this is not true 3.23 lsd's are also common amongst ba's, ef's and el's.
FPVWEPN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2006, 08:35 AM   #21
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVWEPN
Actually this is not true 3.23 lsd's are also common amongst ba's, ef's and el's.
ok, I'll make JC's post a little clearer.

If it is an AU LSD, it will be 3.45.

This is the auflacon.com forums afterall.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2006, 01:11 PM   #22
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

Good Morning Mr Fordforums...

"Sir Sir Sir (standardAU sits impatiently with his hand in the air). What is a diffs purpose and does changing it create better response?"

now everyone knows how far my car knowledge really extends...
Old 21-04-2006, 01:15 PM   #23
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndArdAU
Good Morning Mr Fordforums...

"Sir Sir Sir (standardAU sits impatiently with his hand in the air). What is a diffs purpose and does changing it create better response?"

now everyone knows how far my car knowledge really extends...
all explained here:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2006, 02:00 PM   #24
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

Casper you is like that old black lady on the matrix...just without the female body and annoying monotonous protoge'.
Old 21-04-2006, 03:10 PM   #25
Mangi
Mangi

Dont worry StAndArdAU. 1 year ago i knew half if not less than what i do now. These forums will teach you heaps as well as just general experience. Just learn as you go and ask if in doubt is the best way!!!!!