Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 27-04-2006, 11:41 AM   #1
Beancounter
Starter Motor

Default Creaking Windows/ Door Frames (new Focus)

Hey all,
I have a 5 door Zetec that is the best car I have ever owned. However everytime that I pull into a drive way or drive over uneven tarmac or take off from a standing start the windows creak. You can mimic the problem by gently pushing on the door glass.
To me (and I am not overly mechanical) it seems that there is chassis flex going on. When the suspension is compressed the chassis is flexing to cause friction between the door seals and hence the creaking/groaning.

I have taken it back to the dealer 4 times in the last 5 months (been doing it since new, Dec 05) and they can't fix it. They have even tried re-aligning my doors and this did nothing. Their final solution was to spray silicon spray the door frame to provide a slick surface. This works for a week or so but it comes back. My concern is that that there is something wrong at a more serious level. I am also annoyed that with a brand new car these sorts of band aid fixes are required.

I am interested to know if anyone with a new Focus (South African built) has experienced creaking windows or door frames also. Is this a fairly unique issue and I am just unlucky or is there a wider issue here.

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Steve
Auckland NZ

Beancounter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 12:17 PM   #2
Forest Bear

This happens to all cars. If you want to know what creak is like get into a Hyundai Getz. Anyways, chassis flex is something you gotta live with. You can reduce and extend the structural integrity of the chassis by avoiding torsional twisting and flex especially coming into steep, funny angled driveways. My last car, 2001 Astra, developed creaks because my driveway caused twisting on the chassis. You can imagine going in and out 4-5 times a day over 4 years did to the chassis but it held up quite well. I had a steel plate put in the driveway just for my new Zetec.

My LS Zetec (done 8400kms) has small creaky noises coming from...

- The plastic that surrounds the auto-stick. They are rubbing. Squeak. Squeak. Usually happens at low speeds and over undulating road surfaces. Not serious.

- Slight door rattle. Like something small is loose inside left front door. Not serious.

- Most concern is a louder low tone rattle thats coming from inside the engine bay just infront of the drivers side dash. This one I will have to take to the dealer. Again, only occurs at low speeds over smooth undulating road surface. It sounds like loose suspension component at first but I jacked it up and tugged everything and its seems okay. I've driven it over small bumps and its okay, no noise. I can't find the source of the noise myself.

I'm still super happy with my car. Its still IMO very well built despelling my earlier concerns. I love it.
Forest Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 12:28 PM   #3
Beancounter
Starter Motor

I agree that any car will develop creaks and rattles etc. But I guess where I am a little annoyed is that the demo vehicle we test drove and even subsequent loan foci that we got while ours was at the dealer's did not make the creaking. And this was after I tried in vain to make replicate it, these also had far higher k's on them too.
Perhaps I'm a picky bugger (I'm not afraid to admit it), but putting close to $40k into a new car I do expect the windows not to creak and groan all the time.
In saying this I too really enjoy the vehicle, one of the best cars I've owned.
Beancounter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 02:12 PM   #4
Ringo
I see you....

Your spot on about it being door seals due to flex in the body......anoying isn't it.

BMW E36 3 series, particularly the early 90's ones, are well known for the issue and if the seal were dry enough even creak when you accelerate and brake....lol.

The fix was silicon wiped on the door rubbers and some 3m tape along when the door seal sat to provide a smooth surface for the seal to move on.

If there is a felt seal involved get a solid lube stick and run it along the seal and into the felt....... its a bit icky but it works.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 10:58 PM   #5
zetec
Zoom Zoom

My 3 door Focus creaks like a mother... but it's lowered.
Old 28-04-2006, 01:19 AM   #6
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
My 3 door Focus creaks like a mother... but it's lowered.
My Fiesta did the same... Creaked after it was lowered. Most cars do I believe on a slant...

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 08:26 AM   #7
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

I've found a light spray of silicone tyre shine makes it all better.

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 12:51 PM   #8
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default Door seal creaks

My 04 Fiesta does this.. It annoys the heck out of me.

I do agree that lube helps it, i use meguiars trim rejuvinator. Should help prolong the life of the seals too

My driveway is a bit steep, so i have to attack it on an angle, thats when i notice it, so yeah chassis flex. :
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 09:02 PM   #9
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yep our 05 Focus LS did it to, had the suspension re tentioned and it went away, sadly after another 1000 kays its back.. The rest of our cars dont do it, cant see why this one should.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2006, 12:03 AM   #10
BlackLS

This is an issue not only for our Focii but for Euro built models as well.

The reasons why I think it happens only on this car and my the Falcon is the falcon seals are on more horizontal surfaces, therefore only compressing etc, not sliding/squeaking.
And the other is that the Focus uses a rubbery rubber, as opposed to a more plasticcy rubber like on the falcons.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post