Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 29-04-2006, 09:57 PM   #1
PINKEA
just a little krazy

Question Electronic Rust Prevention systems

Hi, I was wondering if anyone out here in ford land, knew anything about electronic Rust Prevention Systems. Have been told they work by some people and some people say they don't. Would just like some information or web addys that I can check out.

:evil_laug Its not what you drive, its how you drive it that counts!! :Up_to_som
PINKEA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2006, 11:52 PM   #2
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

E-Series Falcons shoulsn't rust unless they've had dodgy repairs done, they have galvanised bodies.

I've heard about the things you're talking about, and have heard the same stories, some saying they work, others saying they don't.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 01:32 AM   #3
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

i was a mechanic and all the boys there say they dont do and by the time your car shows rust the warenty is over or there is some way they void it, spend the money on a alarm or proformance parts, IMO
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
eb91xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 08:58 PM   #4
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Not sure about electronic ones, but using a sacrificial cathode (ie a lump of zinc or something) with a bit of charge in it can "attract" oxidising agents to it instead of the car's panels & structures.

These sacrificial cathodes are more common near fountations such as reo piers in saltwater, etc.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 09:41 PM   #5
tufLTD
tufLTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINKEA
Hi, I was wondering if anyone out here in ford land, knew anything about electronic Rust Prevention Systems. Have been told they work by some people and some people say they don't. Would just like some information or web addys that I can check out.
We had a customer with fishing trawlers & he swore by them.
tufLTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 09:53 PM   #6
hako
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Regularly gives valued, considered advice to others. 

Always remember "there is a sucker born every day"....make sure you are not one of them.
hako is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 10:03 PM   #7
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

With regard to hako's post, I should probably alter the context of my original post with this:

Electronic rust preventers probably rate with Electric Superchargers or Resistor Fuel Saving Chips when it comes to car parts.

Also, E-series falcons shouldn't really suffer from rust. Rust in an E-series would most likely indicate a past accident... Or a life by the seaside
Old 30-04-2006, 10:34 PM   #8
fmc351
let it burn

EA/B series wagons rust along the dog leg in the c pillar, tailgates are prone to it. Its common.

Sedans and wagons rust along the body rubber for the top of the doors, dont fool yourself its only poorly repaired ones that rust. All cars rust somewhere. And if E series are gal, thats news to me but Im not doubting it, gal still rusts over time.

Mate of mine has these in his Landcruiser, he still got some rust, but not where the dohickeys have been installed (an area that normally rusts). Theory he has, is that he needed to fit more dohickeys, read from that what you will.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 11:13 PM   #9
EDXR6T

bullcrap till proof is shown:P
EDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 01:40 PM   #10
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

I think by far the most important factor is whether the car is protected from the elements. I suspect any electronic device of this nature will also eat away at your battery life too.
ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 01:55 PM   #11
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
These sacrificial cathodes are more common near fountations such as reo piers in saltwater, etc.
Here's a good one for ya.

We built a pump station in the Murrary, built the entire structure and all fittings from 304/306 stainless. Yet the bastards rusted out within months. Have a stab at why??? ;)

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 02:25 PM   #12
hako
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Regularly gives valued, considered advice to others. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw

We built a pump station in the Murrary, built the entire structure and all fittings from 304/306 stainless. Yet the bastards rusted out within months. Have a stab at why??? ;)
Stray electric currents from the pump motor causing electrolysis?
hako is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 06:31 PM   #13
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw

High acid/salt (chloride) concentrations from the Murray causing corrosion? Go adelaide tap water! Let's hope it's salt & not acid in the Murray :P

316 is better isn't it? Metallurgy isn't my strong point, in fact I don't really have a strong point when it comes to engineering, I just flounder along and get paid for it.

But I am quite interested in why it rusted out so quickly... You should've built the PS from AU taxi parts! Probably cheaper...
Old 04-05-2006, 11:19 AM   #14
Streeter

i am from traralgon and i have an ea and it hasnt rusted but to of my mates had them in the city and they rusted throught the rear window seal at the top and in the doglegs on the back of the sil and one of them rusted out under the taillight on the passengers side where as mine hasnt as for gal bodies that aint right i just rang up 2 panel beaters and they both said they dont thats why they rust out and its was very comon for the ea-eb to rust out in the doglegs and roof
Streeter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2006, 02:13 PM   #15
Mr_4.0
What Wheelspin?

im almost positive that e-series bodies arnt galvinised. only the tank straps and a guard around the fuel line are.

2003 BA Xr6 Turbo (Atomic Long, DTM auto, Nizpro stage2 kit, eaton truetrac, E85, HeadsexTuned)
Mr_4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2006, 03:13 PM   #16
EF302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i got one my car, only cause it was free, the olds traded in one of there cars so i removed it, seems to have worked in the front end but i just noticed a tiny bubble at the top of my rear window.
it was origionally on a small car so there was only one connection point on the body, so im thinking of getting another one of the pads and running it to the rear. just to see if it makes any difference.
Honestly i think it a scam, i wouldnt spend my money on it
EF302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post