Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-05-2006, 03:51 PM   #31
Timeshift

Still on the quest of the allusive CD-R brand. So far the only one that works each time every time without fail is TDK.

I've tried so many other brands, ranging from generic to Verbatim, they will either work only some of the time, or almost never.

Someone else suggested Maxell or Sony, has anyone had experience with these? What's the best/cheapest place to get TDK or Maxell or Sony if they are the best?

Bearing in mind that not all AU sound systems are the same - I have a stock single-load CD player in my AUIII.
Timeshift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 04:36 PM   #32
SIKSIX
Its gone V

I noticed that when i burn them with my Zippo and not the BIC lighter : they tend to work....................................Hmmmmmmm.
SIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 06:42 PM   #33
antilooped

Guys, as with TheMaddestMan i agree its to do with the burn speed not necessarily the quality of the cdr.... cdr's are usually of similar quality irrespective of the brand, but what makes a good cd is how long it lasts in the same condition after being used over and over.

Try burning at 4x or 8x speed (slow i know) and it should work (well worked for mine with prem sound)
Old 05-05-2006, 07:39 PM   #34
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sony CD-R 700mb are the ones I'm using
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 08:26 PM   #35
StevenAu2
Irregular Member

Hey great topic and sorry guys BUT im glad im not the only one who has trouble with burnt cd's being spat out sometimes then other times working perfectly....
StevenAu2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 11:03 PM   #36
Timeshift

Quote:
Originally Posted by antilooped
Guys, as with TheMaddestMan i agree its to do with the burn speed not necessarily the quality of the cdr.... cdr's are usually of similar quality irrespective of the brand, but what makes a good cd is how long it lasts in the same condition after being used over and over.

Try burning at 4x or 8x speed (slow i know) and it should work (well worked for mine with prem sound)
I burnt a Verbatim yesterday at 4x and it still doesnt work all that often :(

I went out tonight and bought myself another pack of TDK! I know they work well but i'm hoping to not just restrict myself to TDK... I don't know what they do differently but I can burn at any speed and the TDKs read fine first and every time...
Timeshift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 11:08 PM   #37
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Sony CD-R 700mb are the ones I'm using
Me too. And I've never had any issues with them whatsoever.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2006, 01:30 AM   #38
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

I have found the TDK XA80 CD-R Audio to work, specially for those fussy 6 Stackers in our AU's. Before this i use to have loads of problems of the disc skipping, not loading, just stopping etc.

These Disc's cost more than your average CD-R's but the XA 80 is used for professional recording with a high sensitive recording layer which accurately records minute optical signals.

Hope it helps.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:17 AM   #39
russky
Road Terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeshift
Hi Guys -
AUIII, standard ford single cd headunit. Sometimes I have a lot of problems with it spitting out some burnt cd-r's, sometimes it will play them, however it will always play a proper cd.

What experiences have people had with various brands of cd-r and what which brand/model would be most highly recommended/compatible?

Thanks.
I have a JVC headunit. The sound is much clearer now, and less distortion. All the JVC head units pretty much have the same technology in them in terms of sound quality, except for the features. It has no problems what so ever playing mp3 or wma. However, I have also lost some bass. I think its probably good to upgrade the speakers with the head unit change. Will hopefully do that after i find some cheap wheels...
russky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2006, 12:29 PM   #40
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

I also support the Sony Bandwagon.

I use the 700mb disc, burning with a DVD-R Mata drive at max of 8 speed.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2006, 01:39 PM   #41
kryzak260
Brembo Lover

One thing to look for with sensitive CD players like this is the color of the dye. If you have a silver dye or a clear looking dye, some CD players cannot read them. The CDs with the blue dye are alot better for sensitive CDs because the contrast is greater.

Another thing to try is to hold you CDs up to a light. If you can see straight through them, it is a poor quality disk, but if you cannot see through it or it is hard to see through, then it is a better quality CD. If you can see through a disk, then the laser will be able to easily also. Inkjet printable CDs are pretty good because the laser cannot see through them at all due to the printable layer, so reflect properly. When your CDs are pausing, this is what is happening - the laser beam is looking through the CD rather than relfecting back to the laser eye.

So if you burn a CD with blue dye at 8x (slowest of most modern DVD burners) in DAO* mode (Disk at Once) it will have the best chance of playing.

*Disk at Once is best, because it burns all tracks as one big data block. TAO (Track at Once) will burn each track seperately, turning off the laser at the end of each track and turning it back on at the begining of the next track. This can cause errors which will be amplified by sensitive CD players.

Original disks do not suffer from this problem because they are not burnt with lasers, rather they are stamped.

Hope that clears up a few issues
Cheers,
Michael

PS: I use Verbatim and Shintaro disks and dont have a problem in my stacker, or my alpine CD Player or my girlfriends very sensitive home stereo.

Hers: 2006 BF Super Pursuit in Vixen
kryzak260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post