Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-04-2006, 08:30 PM   #1
JeffAU1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Ok Im officially confused - Cold Air Intake

Hey all.

As much as I love my AU, I have no idea about it and hence why im confused.

Replacing the air filter myself, well that looks as easy as it can get, but correct me if im wrong. I opened what seems to be the filter box with EEC-V written on the top of it (refer to the pics) and inside was a square filter. So i'll go the Supercheap auto and by a BMC or K&N Filter for my AU and put that new one inside.

But the cold air intake. now thats weird, but then again i have very little knowledge with cars. I have an intake, but the cold air intake i a little wider and therefore will bring more air into the car. I have been reading this webiste as much as i can at home and at work. Here is a link to what im under the impression a cold air intake looks like.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

But if u look at this website they charge $249 plus $100 installation.
http://www.intunemotorsport.com.au/I...air_intax.html

So what does a "Cold AIr intake" usually consist of ????

And by the way I bought a Rear spoiler off this forum, thanks to all who replied. :voldar02:

Jeff (merkus)

JeffAU1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 08:46 PM   #2
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the spaure filter you took out will be much the same as a K&N that u will buy from supercheap. exact, just made differently.
the CAI is refferring to the air intake of the car, don't buy ss inductions as it is a waste of money. simply buy the XR snorkell and do the casper mod of www.aufalcon.com .
that is all that you really have to do to get small gains in thottle response, you will find most guys on these forums have this setup or a similar set up too

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 08:51 PM   #3
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go to ur the Spare Parts center at ur local Ford Dealership. And ask for a ' Tickford ' snorkel for ur AU.. it will cost approx. $39.00 and will take minutes to install.. they'll probly have to order it in for u, usually within a day or two.. and they might even install it for u.. do that, and throw in a k&n filter or whatever filter catches ur fancy.

Its probly the easiest, the best and cheapest setup in a market full of over-priced useless waste of time products. However, there some great CAI's that actully work.. but costly. But if ur willing to spend big on simply a CAI.. u may have well throw on some extractors and a full 2.5" exhaust system as well.

onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 08:57 PM   #4
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

If that's your engine bay in those pic's you took, you allready have a CIA, you just need a better one.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 09:50 PM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

A CAI is any sealed air intake that gets it's air source from outside the engine bay (otherwise it would be a hot air intake).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2006, 05:56 PM   #6
AUIIXR8_Tas

What are the advantages of the 'Pod' filters? (K&N, UniFilter, etc..)

Would I honestly be better off purchasing a Tickford snorkel and a K&N filter to fit straight into my existing filter box? Is there much involved in installing the larger snorkel?
AUIIXR8_Tas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2006, 06:06 PM   #7
I6corp
Was V6corp

It should be a screw out then screw in job.

Nothen substantial has been made to support pod filter or not to. The main down side i find about them is the friggan noise they produce. (high pitched whistel)
I6corp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2006, 06:34 PM   #8
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

unless you have a really worked motor , the flat panel filters supply plenty enough air and cfm for the I6's , a pod can pass more cfm but is unlikelly to make much difference performancew wise on a pretty much standard I6 imo , apart from a change in the induction noise , which even then wont change that much unless you are drawing major cfm . But with that said - of course making the airflow less restricted can help a bit ( which in some cases the pod setup propperlly can make a small inrease due to less turbulance in the airflow and more direct airflow straight up the gut of the pod .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2006, 06:48 PM   #9
I6corp
Was V6corp

He has an XR8, thats why i was refering to the sound. ;)
I6corp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2006, 06:54 PM   #10
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6corp
He has an XR8, thats why i was refering to the sound. ;)
;) ahhh , no worries .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2006, 07:11 PM   #11
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

Has anyone actually got one of the intune CAI's on there car? Oh and Merkus, go the Tickford snorkel mate and have a quick look over the K & N filter before you install it for any small debris.
:sm_headba
Yum-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2006, 01:06 AM   #12
russky
Road Terrorist

I had a pod filter at one stage. Loved the whiste kinda sound it generated. But then again... i cant resist good turbo cars... the whistle of a turbo on a supra.... drools... lol Now im back to standard box with XR intake
russky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 11:15 AM   #13
smithmr5
matty

I have installed a pod style filter into the standard XR6 air box. I have just taken off the tube mounting bracket at the top of the box (four small 8mm bolts), this allows you to pass intake tube into box. Fix your pod to tube & seal hole with black silicon. There is a little more sound then normal but not overly loud plus it will still pass rego. i do belive it gives you a quicker responce time & a smother acceleration.

Does any one no if you can over ride Traction Control on the auto model?
smithmr5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post