Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-06-2006, 12:37 AM   #1
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Exhaust Change-over

Hey all, after some more expert opinions here, if I can get my hands on a AU3 XR6 exhaust cheap, would it be worth my while (and possible) to put it on my AU1 fairmont? I'm looking at getting my exhaust done, and thought this might be a cheap option? Or would I be wasting my time? Apparently it's 'tuned for an au3 xr6, complete system from but not including cat converter', i've put a pic in too. Cheers, Matt.

mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 12:51 AM   #2
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've never seen my exhaust laid out like that

God damn it's unsightly! :P
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 12:57 AM   #3
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ha ha, how's the sound of these exhausts? I presume it'll sound a bit better than what I've got, or am I better off just skipping this and going straight to a 2.5 inch system or whatever that means?
Old 09-06-2006, 01:01 AM   #4
OZFORDAU
Banned

Talking 2.5' Cat Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp
Ha ha, how's the sound of these exhausts? I presume it'll sound a bit better than what I've got, or am I better off just skipping this and going straight to a 2.5 inch system or whatever that means?
Just go straight to the 2.5" cat back system.....For around $350-$400 with a decent tip......Then you'll be laughing! Next mod.......EXTRACTORS :sm_headba :sm_headba

Cheers

Simon :hihi: _2:

PS: I wouldn't buy that exhaust that ur looking at either, the 2.5" will most likely be louder n deeper! And it wont have half as many mufflers as that has lol bahahaha
OZFORDAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 01:32 AM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The whole left hand side of that exhaust is blanked off. Basically, the VCTs used half of the V8 system.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 12:22 PM   #6
au2ute
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZFORDAU
Just go straight to the 2.5" cat back system.....For around $350-$400 with a decent tip......Then you'll be laughing! Next mod.......EXTRACTORS :sm_headba :sm_headba

Cheers

Simon :hihi: _2:

PS: I wouldn't buy that exhaust that ur looking at either, the 2.5" will most likely be louder n deeper! And it wont have half as many mufflers as that has lol bahahaha

Agreeded !! :dj:
Old 09-06-2006, 01:43 PM   #7
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

Any experiance with this exhaust??

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-AU-Falco...QQcmdZViewItem

I just noticed my exhaust glowing after a 5 min drive up the road last night just below the base of the manifold so im thinkin I got a blockage of sorts

does the rear muffler (or lack therof) make any noticable difference other than volume? just considering how much extra attention I wanna avoid from the boys in blue (Im already on my p's till im 27!)

how difficult is a self fitment (Im not a fan of the oxy torch under a car on jacks) can it be clamped/bolted or does it need to be welded
Old 09-06-2006, 03:08 PM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo_yobbo

I just noticed my exhaust glowing after a 5 min drive up the road last night just below the base of the manifold so im thinkin I got a blockage of sorts

does the rear muffler (or lack therof) make any noticable difference other than volume? just considering how much extra attention I wanna avoid from the boys in blue (Im already on my p's till im 27!)

how difficult is a self fitment (Im not a fan of the oxy torch under a car on jacks) can it be clamped/bolted or does it need to be welded
That's the one I bought for my wagon. Bolts straight up to the cat (you may need 2 new bolts - I broke mine so had to get new ones), and the rear section clamps to the front section easily (I also used muffler putty to make sure the seal was a good one).

I got the rear resonator for the wagon, and it's still got a nice tone and burble, just quietish. If you don't want attention from the BiB, go this option.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 03:40 PM   #9
phildee

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo_yobbo

I was going to buy one of those but ended up getting the same thing for $250 fitted, so it may pay to call around some local places first.
phildee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 03:45 PM   #10
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Something like that seems like a much better option instead of buggering around with that other one. Now to decide the muffler or the straight through option! Exactly how loud is the straight through? I don't want to be too anti-social, ha ha.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:22 PM   #11
TCK-098

Go the 2.5 system you will like the sound and the car will perform better as for prices they vary across shops.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:19 AM   #12
martymonsta
AUII FUTURA

if any exhaust mods should be done why not go the full hog.
but putting a S3 system on a S1 might not work unless you have independent rear end
set up good luck! just go 2.5 cat back, mandrell bent, single straight through muffler with optional resonator(depending on noise levels you want)
martymonsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2006, 04:05 AM   #13
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, I got a quote for a redback 2.5 single muffler system for $210 installed, so I'll just be going that route I think. Now to decide whether to get the extractors as well for an extra $350!
Old 11-06-2006, 07:59 PM   #14
LOWAU

Quote:
Yeah, I got a quote for a redback 2.5 single muffler system for $210 installed, so I'll just be going that route I think. Now to decide whether to get the extractors as well for an extra $350!
Yes get the extractors, it will free up the engine so much. It will rev so smoothly to redline and quicker too. :sm_headba
LOWAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 08:13 PM   #15
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Quote:
That is a very good price. I organised a car for a similar system, it cost $800+ (but that was using genie headers)

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 11:11 PM   #16
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that price was for either hi-tech or hurricane headers, which I've heard aren't too bad either
Old 12-06-2006, 12:04 AM   #17
TCK-098

hurricane cant even build a intake pipe right to save themselves i know i had one done.

Evne give Advance headers a go i have them and put out nice power and economy.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:06 AM   #18
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was leaning towards the hi-tech extractors since I've read a bit more about them, haven't heard much about the hurricanes. Anyone care to add anything on the hi-techs?
Old 12-06-2006, 12:17 AM   #19
GK
Walking with God

You guys are not in Melbourne. Any Melbourne guys know of a friendly, cheap place to get a redback exhaust for that kind of money down here? I'm in the North West.

I'm not upgrading yet, but when the SR needs a new exhaust, Summer I reckon, I'll know where to head.

Cheers,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2006, 12:29 AM   #20
martymonsta
AUII FUTURA

Smile

Quote:

wish i could get that price
i paid $325 for mine including a chrome oval that i still am 1/2 n 1/2 on
but anywayz that was only cat back
high flow cat was $250 (not yet)
hm headers $500(as above)
thought that was a bit steep but get good ones cause you dont want them stuffing up and make sure there stainless steel
:
martymonsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post