Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-07-2006, 09:41 PM   #1
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Car Bras..

Thinking of buying a car bra.. wondering what they look like on the Series I AU? If any one has any pics, that would be great.

onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2006, 10:39 PM   #2
Free347

Me too, pics would be good. Long highway drives can be murder on the nose.
Free347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2006, 10:58 PM   #3
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

over rated IMO>
DO a search there have been quite a few threads.
Orbit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2006, 11:46 PM   #4
Free347

Done a search... useless, can't find any pics for a non T3 or XR AU though - is there a trick to searching that I'm missing?. IMO not over rated at all if you suffer from chipping during highway travel. If there's another way to prevent stone chip on the front bar, headlights/covers and edge of the bonnet I'd like to know about it.
Free347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2006, 12:14 AM   #5
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I live in the country, so theres alot of long dodgy roads. Thats why Im considering one.

onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2006, 12:27 AM   #6
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

I cant help you out with any links or pics sorry , but imo a car-bra is fine for long trips , so long as you remove it when not using it on long trips. Leaving them on for long durations of time can almost have more damaging effects than the stone chips . They hold water under them badly and cause rusting if left on too long , also ya cars paint faids slightly over the years , leaving a car bra on permanently results in a dark coloured front end and the rest of the car lighter . gl

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2006, 09:03 AM   #7
sickxr
Ford POWER!

Ive got a car bra and used it on my trip to melbourne last year. Even did a lap around bathurst on the way home with it on!! I found it great for protecting your car - but imo they dont look the best.

sickxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2006, 12:32 PM   #8
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

No your right...i just tried the search as well and came up empty....but i KNOW there have been other threads.
1. they look quite poor (even colour matched), and in the country as i do and do alot of that "long distance driving" then you'll want it on all the time....which means when you sell the paint under the bra will not have faded with the rest of the car (but hey it'll be more or less chip free).
2. They are great for stopping locusts.
3. if you have a show car go for it, if not, a few stone chips won't kill you (and cost less to touch up then faded/non faded front end)
4. i am yet to see a mass produced one that fits properly (not to say they aren't out there)
5. i'd invest in a custom made one. Ask Buckky about his.
6. poor fitting ones will rub the paint OFF in many places especially the attachment points, this is increased by the abrasive nature of dirt from dirt roads that you presumably drive in the country. Plus add rain to the mix and you have sandpaper.
7. if you get hit by a rock rather then a stone (think dirt roads in the country) it will still chip.
8. there are other clear plastic type laminate materials that can be removed residue free, that are available (with out associated fading issues i believe). See your local smashrepair joint about itto find the best one for you.

just a couple of points to ponder.

ORB.

P.S. Do you run a green Lowered AU on 18's?
Old 06-07-2006, 12:59 PM   #9
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haven't used it in a while, and the front has a few stone chips on it.

The Bra's work well. I don't mind that it doesn't look good. It serves a purpose on thos country roads. I don't leave mine on, on when going interstate.

Now I have stripes, not sure if it will be used for a while.

I used it when I went to Adelaide at Chrissy. I took a few direct hits from birds on the front bar and I would say that without it, I wold have received damage on the bar. One hit I took out 3 birds and left dead bird on the side of the bra.

Going to fix my stone chips soon, so maybe i will start to use it again.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2006, 01:54 PM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

my nudge bar and drivinglights block everything out ... no need for a car bra for me.

Had a chunk of coal come off the back of an overloaded semi ... bounced in front of me ... hit the top of my left driving light and then bounced over the roof.

Good old LightForce driving lights ... only light on the market that survives a shotgun blast from 8 feet away.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2006, 03:04 PM   #11
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

i still need one for the locusts... but now i use a custom "locust screen" lol.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:05 PM   #12
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Never have had to get a locust screen ... what do you use ... the thick green shade cloth????
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2006, 03:48 PM   #13
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

no i had a piece of glass mesh screen trimmed to suit. it's a bit like fly screen on your door except alot stronger. It sits behind the nudge bar and covers the intake and protects the radiator.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:29 PM   #14
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

If anyone finds one to suit AU1, let me know. I reckon it would look good. I've been wanting to get one for ages but the places I've spoken to about getting one, only have the XR ones. Nothing for my Fairmont :(
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2006, 04:50 PM   #15
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

get one trimmed for you....works out a lil more expensive but it worth it.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:56 PM   #16
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

The No1 brand called Carbra is Great.....
Had used it on my XR8 for 3yrs+ for business trips and never had a problem.
Fitted tight and never left a mark on my paint and I'm a fussy bugga with my cars as many know here on the forums.
I actually reckon they look good in black but we all have our own opinions.
My time is valuable and it saves a heap of time cleaning the front end and ofcourse avoiding heaps of stone chips.
I am getting one for the T3 very soon.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post