Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 30-08-2006, 09:03 PM   #1
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

Default Power steering belts coming off

Guys

I've got a problem, where my power steering belt keeps coming off at high revs under load. (usually 1 - 2 gear change, or 2nd gear stand stills off the limiter)

Now, I know it can either be the harmonic balancer, power steering pump, or power steering pully.

I have changed the Power steering pully and bearing, and the balancer and power steering pump look ok.

The belts are tight, and done properly, but it keeps coming off at high revs.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and what you did to overcome it.

Cheers

Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 09:06 PM   #2
Damo
Banned

i had the same problem in my EA and I changed the idler pulley which fixed it.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 09:07 PM   #3
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Under the bonnet, trying to keep as clean as above!

have you looked at the adjustable pully?
EB Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 09:11 PM   #4
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

I Hate to give you the Bad News M8 But You have to much end flote in your crank shaft .. The crank is moveing back and forward and thats what makes a belt thats on right and tight come off.
You will know more by looking at the Belt .. as if the side of the belt is Frayed then you know for sure this is the reason .

Last edited by trick_xd; 30-08-2006 at 09:38 PM.
trick_xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 09:25 PM   #5
EF302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my old car(eb2) always threw to belt when i gave it a boot full, i looked around for different brand belt and found one with better grip. after that was ok.
EF302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 09:53 PM   #6
galapogos01
eec tweaker

i packed out the PS pump with washers to ensure it was in alignment with the crank. the pump brackets bent over time. worked for me.

also, the belts with the serrated backing seemed to hold on better for me.
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 09:58 PM   #7
Christiaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick_xd
I Hate to give you the Bad News M8 But You have to much end flote in your crank shaft .. The crank is moveing back and forward and thats what makes a belt thats on right and tight come off.
You will know more by looking at the Belt .. as if the side of the belt is Frayed then you know for sure this is the reason .
New engine time?? This isn't good news at all. Is there a way to test if the crank is floating? The belts are on there good and proper, but not too tight.

I'll see how i go with the new idler pully on there, as that was Damo's problem..

Jase, The pump is pretty well lined up with the balancer and pully, but i'll keep an eye on it.

Maybe this will be a good chance to change to an AU engine

Thanks guys

EDIT: Sorry guys, i changed the idler pully. I haven't touched the power steering pump at all, just the idler pully.
Old 30-08-2006, 10:07 PM   #8
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

All you have to do it have a good look at the belt .. and each time you put it back on put it on the same way that way you will see if there is a fray starting to happen on the edge of the belt .
The other thing is if you have a look at your motor and the belts are all straight with the pulleys and you could use a ruler to check that....
Some more things for you to try
Old 30-08-2006, 10:07 PM   #9
ROOSTA
DFDFDF

Hey mate.. i had same prob.. called racv twice in 2 days... i replaced belt.. and idler pulley and all was sweet.. actually i did both idler pulleys and both belts at once.. tensioned correctly.. worked a treat.. redline no prob now..

Good luck with it..

Cheers,
Nik
ROOSTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 10:10 PM   #10
Christiaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROOSTA
Hey mate.. i had same prob.. called racv twice in 2 days... i replaced belt.. and idler pulley and all was sweet.. actually i did both idler pulleys and both belts at once.. tensioned correctly.. worked a treat.. redline no prob now..

Good luck with it..

Cheers,
Nik
Both idler pully's, as in the A/C idler pully and top idler pully for the power steering pump?
Old 30-08-2006, 10:54 PM   #11
ROOSTA
DFDFDF

Yer,

The racv guy said its best to replace whole lot at once cos some times it can be the AC belt which isn't holding correct tension on the crank which then puts the PS belt out..

Funnily enough, my PS idler only had like 1/2 mm of play but the AC one had 1 1/2 mm of play.. bearings were shagged..

Cheers,
Nik
ROOSTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 02:34 AM   #12
5L
[ 5L ]

mine does it when the belts get to a certain age, ive replaced mine 3 times in the past year, i had to fix it twice on the last e-sereis cruise.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 03:38 AM   #13
blownba
LPG Forum Moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all his assistance helping members with their LPG issues. 

Do the pulleys all look like they are aligned properly.Try that to see if the 3 pulleys align correctly by eye cos generally if it looks good by eye it should be allright. Check that the tensioner pulley is on the right way around cause there is a thick edge on one side of the pulley and this can change the offset of the pulley. If you wanted to check the alignment of the 3 pulleys I have used one of those builders laser levelers before. Worked a treat if your making accessory brackets.
blownba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 09:54 AM   #14
Gubas
- BOOYEH -

Same thing happened to me. After replacing belts, pullys, P/S pump to no avail, I changed the balancer and it was sweet.