Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Chasers ABC are a pack of well you make up your mind

taken from www.ninemsn.com.au
Quote:
The ABC has moved to censor The Chaser following public outrage over a sketch in which they mocked dying children.

What did you think of the stunt? View comments

The public broadcaster was in crisis talks this morning after being flooded with complaints over the sketch called "Make a Realistic Wish Foundation", which aired last night on The Chaser's War On Everything.

"The ABC and The Chaser did not intend to hurt those who have been affected by the terminal illness of a child," ABC TV boss Kim Dalton and the show's executive producer Julian Morrow said in a statement released today.

"We acknowledge the distress this segment has caused and we apologise to anyone we have upset.

"As a result, ABC TV will edit the segment out of tonight's repeat screening on ABC2 and on-line."

In the sketch, Chaser members Andrew Hansen and Chris Taylor ask actors playing terminally ill children to make a wish.

One girl tells Hansen she wants to meet Hollywood teen heartthrob Zac Efron, but instead she is handed a stick.

Taylor at one point says the fictional foundation's aim is to help "thousands of kids to lower their extravagance and selfishness in the face of death". (Watch more: Chaser back at it today)

Make-A-Wish Foundation chief executive Sandy Brattstrom said her organisation tried not to focus on the negative aspects of the skit.

"Obviously we're very disappointed but I've got to say we're encouraged by the response from the public — I think that said it all," she told Nine News.

"There's been a lot of anger and frustration … what's sad is the effect it might have had on families involved."

When asked about the outraged public response, Ms Brattstrom said: "I think I'll leave that up to the politicians and the radio networks."

A spokeswoman for Make-A-Wish said Taylor had called Ms Brattstrom to apologise for the sketch.

"I have had a call from The Chaser this morning explaining to me that they weren't specifically poking fun at us," the foundation's communications manager Janita Friend told Melbourne radio station 3AW.

Readers flooded ninemsn with comments about the skit, mostly expressing condemnation.

"That is absolutely disgusting … How dare they say things like that," wrote one reader.

Another wrote: "No scruples ... no hearts ... no compassion … I say they should have NO JOBS."

The sketch has also generated buzz on micro-blogging site Twitter and drawn criticism from politicians and social commentators.

"The Chaser boys have gone over the mark," federal Liberal frontbencher Christopher Pyne told TODAY.

"If I had a child with cancer or leukaemia or a life-threatening disease it would be the most devastating thing that could ever happen."

According to ratings company OzTam, The Chaser averaged about 1.2 million viewers last night — more than 300,000 less than last week’s series debut.

Calls made by ninemsn to show's executive producer Julian Morrow were not immediately returned.

The Chaser has been pushing the boundaries of good taste since its debut in early 2006, including the infamous 2007 APEC Osama bin Laden prank and the tasteless "Eulogy Song", which poked fun at deceased celebrities such as Peter Brock, Princess Diana and Steve Irwin.
I find the coments in the skit very disturbing

i have one of my nephews that due to illness that the doctors cant do anything about get wishes granted through both starlight and make a wish foundations

i personally think these jokers should be pulled from the air and made to grant the wishes of the kids they have traumertised

just venting

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-06-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
Scott

They went too far.. even for my taste.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I havent seen the episode, but i think everyones over reacting a little, as distasteful as it was they dont deserve to have the show taken off the air and lose there jobs over one skit, these guys take big risks for our enjoyment and they say one thing and they should be out of the job? please...

I do think they should however as an apology go and visit the kids and try to make some of there wishes come true.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
jasjul

IMO they have stepped well over the mark. I saw the segment this morning. I don't care about the bagging of adults, we have a bit of life experience behind us. I personally was disgusted, as I believe any parent would be, let alone those that do have children with serious illnesses. :
Old 04-06-2009, 03:10 PM   #5
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While I dont nessessarily agree with alot of things the Chasers do, but in reality they are very small flies compared to whats coming out of the United States, Australia is just a case of a very small television community and anything offensive is blown up as the worst thing to ever go to air.

If Chappelle's Show, or the Sarah Silverman show was being produced in Australia and going to air in prime time, there would be riots in the streets from the ultra-conservatives and rights groups.

South Park did an episode involving the boys giving each other HIV among other touchy topics. 10 years ago, it was South Park that was going to end the world, today its Chasers.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:10 PM   #6
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Not over reacting at all ...... I think it was more than just tastless, and I like tastless humour! It went too far and went passed the boundry. I have watched the show and have enjoyed it but this was too far and just not required.

Yes they should have no job! If this is what they required for a chuckle, they then have no idea.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-06-2009, 03:12 PM   #7
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
i personally think these jokers should be pulled from the air and made to grant the wishes of the kids they have traumatised
If you mean in the actual skit, they were actors.

While I didn't think the skit was tasteful the rest of the show was still good.

These guys are gonna push the boundaries, many of the better comedy shows do (eg Monty Python gag about eating his mother and then if he didn't like the taste he could throw her up in the burial plot received alot of flack and now is considered comedy gold).

Anyway the show will finish up at the end of this season, personally I liked when they took the micky out of a current affair shows and the pollies.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:14 PM   #8
GTJOHN
Ford 4 Life

IN poor tatse , if thats what we need to resort to for a laugh...im sorry id rather be unfunny...very sad sad people ..not funee & im sure the poor kids watching this would not have seen the funny side to it either
Old 04-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #9
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Not funny, not clever and maybe a little time in unemployment may make them appreciate things more.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 04-06-2009, 03:23 PM   #10
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I doubt unemployment is in their futures. Its funny people think, they'll come out of this for the worse. Like I said, about the local television industry being very small, free-to-air is also very conservative.

Chaser's would be more at home on the Comedy Channel. Imagine the can of worms you'd open up giving them Cable like " restrictions ".
Old 04-06-2009, 03:32 PM   #11
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

Who gives a stuff? It's only being blown up in the media because of The Chasers rejecting the commercial networks advances to move the show. If people really were disgusted next weeks programe will be way down in ratings- somehow I doubt that very much.

If you are so senisitive about your comedic tastes don't watch a comedy program that has mocked steve irwins death in a song and the joesph fritzle saga with a brady bunch introduction and stick to whatever vanilla flavoured comedy program on the commercial networks.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:34 PM   #12
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serial_Fool
Who gives a stuff? It's only being blown up in the media because of The Chasers rejecting the commercial networks advances to move the show. If people really were disgusted next weeks programe will be way down in ratings- somehow I doubt that very much.
Yep Ch 9 & 7 pushed hard to buy the show and the Chasers told them to get stuffed.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:35 PM   #13
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
If you mean in the actual skit, they were actors.

While I didn't think the skit was tasteful the rest of the show was still good.

These guys are gonna push the boundaries, many of the better comedy shows do (eg Monty Python gag about eating his mother and then if he didn't like the taste he could throw her up in the burial plot received alot of flack and now is considered comedy gold).

Anyway the show will finish up at the end of this season, personally I liked when they took the micky out of a current affair shows and the pollies.
Could very well be the case

can i ask do you have or had a child that was sick

me as a parent have had a sick child this was him at 9 days old....
i was lucky my boy recovered but what about those that dont have that luck

as i posted earlier i have a nephew that is not as lucky as my boy

my nephew was not meant to live till he was 5 he is now 7 the only reason i can see is how places like star light and make a wish made him want to live not to mention his mum my sister and her being stubborn

i am not having a go at you persoally but i take this sort of skit personally due to what i have seen in my own family

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-06-2009, 03:40 PM   #14
alter_EGOXR
BF MKII XR6

i luv their work...but honestly that skit went a lil too far...i remember when they got done for the OPEC summit a few years back, i think that was gold..and also the bulldogs incident was hilarious...but last nights "Make a realistic Wish foundation" was disturbing...i just hope in the future they dont produce skits similar to that...

sorry to hear that Jason...i wish your nephew and son well...
Old 04-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #15
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemank
i luv their work...but honestly that skit went a lil too far...i remember when they got done for the OPEC summit a few years back, i think that was gold..and also the bulldogs incident was hilarious...but last nights "Make a realistic Wish foundation" was disturbing...i just hope in the future they dont produce skits similar to that...

sorry to hear that Jason...i wish your nephew and son well...
thanks mate

my boy is doing ao/k my nephew is doing o/k but it could end at any time

for those interested google kabookie syndrome and that is only part of my nephews problems but plays a part in it all

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-06-2009, 03:50 PM   #16
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

This kind of comedy always pushes the boundaries. Sometimes it crosses it. Just accept it for what it is, comedy - even when it misses the mark.

Before anyone asks, spent more than enough time in Westmead and sat beside an MRI for the nth+1 time just last week.

If you don't like the brand of comedy, change the channel.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:54 PM   #17
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jason, no ones having a go at you. I'm sure everyone of there skits has offended someone somewhere. I'm sure Terry and Bindy didnt like the steve irwin skit, im sure none of the different religions and cultures didnt like certain skits aimed at them, I'm sure there all saying they've taken things too far aswell, while the rest of us find it funny. Not everyone is going to like what they do... I'm sorry for what you've gone through and what many others have and are going through but a 1 minute skit should not mean the show should be cancelled and there jobs lost. I hope the attention this has gotten will encourage more people to donate to these foundations.

EDIT:: I just watched the skit on youtube, honestly i cant tell if there poking fun of the kids wishes or the organisations themselves for not being able to fullfill the majority of these wishes, but they completely missed the mark. As tasteless as i thought it was, i still stick to my opinion.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:01 PM   #18
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggs24
......they dont deserve to have the show taken off the air and lose there jobs over one skit, these guys take big risks for our enjoyment and they say one thing and they should be out of the job? please...

No, they should be out of a job because the are almost always not funny. Predictable lame jokes. Only funny thing they have done was the Heads of Govt thing, only have been funnier if one of them actually got shot.

My 2c
Old 04-06-2009, 04:06 PM   #19
Bluepower
KenneBell Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
thanks mate

my boy is doing ao/k my nephew is doing o/k but it could end at any time

for those interested google kabookie syndrome and that is only part of my nephews problems but plays a part in it all

Jason
I'm with you Jason - watching my own 3 month old son being taken care of at the Royal Childrens is the hardest thing ive ever had to watch. The people working their are truly gods own angels.

My wife (schoolteacher) is dealing with having one of her students treated for terminal cancer, he is in the RCH now, and does not look like he will see the Queens Birthday. Not funny.

These afflictions are not funny. Chaser's are not funny. A real comedian would use their comic genius and parody politics, the arts or something else. To parody sick children says volumes about them.

***kheads. sorry for the outburst guys, but kids are kids, and this is too far.

Bluepower Racing Developments

Proud Australian Distributors of Kenne Bell superchargers
The Quickest, The Fastest, The Baddest Boss Blower of all.

www.bluepower.com.au

Old 04-06-2009, 04:06 PM   #20
Bluepower
KenneBell Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by myts
No, they should be out of a job because the are almost always not funny. Predictable lame jokes. Only funny thing they have done was the Heads of Govt thing, only have been funnier if one of them actually got shot.

My 2c
Good point Tony, good post also.

www.bluepower.com.au

Old 04-06-2009, 04:09 PM   #21
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by myts

My 2c
Mate if they were "almost always not funny" the show wouldn't be as popular as it is. And they'd have no jobs. People have different senses of humour, for me personally this skit was not funny but im not going to say they should be unemployed because of it, people make mistakes, it was a 1 minute skit, move on and get over it.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:13 PM   #22
Bluepower
KenneBell Australia

Quote:
Mate if they were "almost always not funny" the show wouldn't be as popular as it is. And they'd have no jobs. People have different senses of humour, for me personally this skit was not funny but im not going to say they should be unemployed because of it, people make mistakes, it was a 1 minute skit, move on and get over it.
not having a go at you bloggs, but this isn't a mistake, they do in fact have an editing room, and how it got past the editing room is beyond me.

Tony is right. Because the fluked funny once doesn't make them comedians.

www.bluepower.com.au

Old 04-06-2009, 04:22 PM   #23
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepower
not having a go at you bloggs, but this isn't a mistake, they do in fact have an editing room, and how it got past the editing room is beyond me.

Tony is right. Because the fluked funny once doesn't make them comedians.
They're the second highest rating show on the ABC (behind spicks and specks), commercial television wanted them they didn't fluke.
Besides the skit has been removed so when its replayed it wont be there.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:24 PM   #24
Dr_Hoon

as satire it should be judged according to whatever political point the skit was trying to make

as comedy it should be judged on whether or not it was funny.

Was it funny? Not really. It is a bit funny to think that someone sat down and thought this up and was thinking it would be funny.

Does it was as satire? From the responses I have read around the place it seems that many parents of sick and very ill kids are taking this personally. Most people have missed the point which is that people get fired up about kids being ill (which they do) and donate to charitable organisations like Make a Wish (which is literally about fulfilling unrealistic wishes) compared to the way that other 'issues' championed by other charaitable organisations do not get such strong support because they need to be 'realistic'. So perhaps what they were trying to do was to apply the same logic of 'realistic' charity to something that is culturally beyond criticism. Did it work? Well it wasn't scripted very well as most people have missed this dimension of the skit.
Zoom and Extreme Performance Production Editor
----
Old 04-06-2009, 04:24 PM   #25
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

Yeah. I recon they have over stepped basic moral boundaries with this sketch.Not nice at all..
Old 04-06-2009, 04:26 PM   #26
Dr_Hoon

oh, and the funniest skit would have to be the one about the Bra Boys. That was gold
Zoom and Extreme Performance Production Editor
----
Old 04-06-2009, 04:26 PM   #27
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Wow pretty awesome of the Chasers actually..

Starlight and Make A Wish foundation just scored about 4 million dollars in free advertising and no doubt we have heaps more people contribute cause society says its the right thing to do..

well done Chaser's, once again the best form of advertising is to get people worked up....

Craig
Old 04-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #28
gozza

People make jokes on race, gays, people in wheel chairs. Jokes on people after they pass away. This is an extension on extreme comedy. Understandably you would not find this funny with a severely ill child , But where you laugh at a racist joke, there is an ethnic person/group finding it unsavory. Im sure every one of us has laughed at something improper or socially distasteful.

I will watch endless you tube videos of people getting owned by something, their own stupidtity or whatever. While i wish no harm on people, its still funny
Old 04-06-2009, 04:48 PM   #29
WildZero

Quote:
Jason, no ones having a go at you. I'm sure everyone of there skits has offended someone somewhere. I'm sure Terry and Bindy didnt like the steve irwin skit, im sure none of the different religions and cultures didnt like certain skits aimed at them, I'm sure there all saying they've taken things too far aswell, while the rest of us find it funny. Not everyone is going to like what they do... I'm sorry for what you've gone through and what many others have and are going through but a 1 minute skit should not mean the show should be cancelled and there jobs lost. I hope the attention this has gotten will encourage more people to donate to these foundations.
Very true. People in this thread have commented that they are 'taking it personally' and therefore has crossed the line. Yet what about the billions of other people who've taken something personally, be it from the Chaser crew, the Onion, Sacha Baron Cohen or thirty years ago the likes of Richard Pryor - for topics ranging from (as stated above) being in a wheelchair, being black, being white, religion, etc.

It is very understandable to be peeved - we see red when it comes to our kids. It actually comes off as a little selfish to be so offended when you 'take it personally.' (Because NO, it was not a personal attack on you or your child or those children.) Because it doesn't matter when all these other people take it personally? Religion, mental disabilities, starving kids in Africa, etc. and I'm sure many of the offended now have laughed at these types of jokes many times in the past.

An illustrating point - recently Alec Baldwin made a comment about Filipino mail order brides and threw in the Russians on Letterman. When the interview was posted on the likes of Youtube and other online viral sites the comments were inundated with people complaining about the Phillipines comment.

Not a single peep from a peeved Russian user.

When I first read this I figured the Chaser had gone and interview real sick kids - which WOULD be crossing the line. But no, it was actors - it was black humour. They failed to be funny, as they often do - concept was sound, execution not so much. And as far as I can tell (as other posters have stated) they were attempting to parody those type of organizations rather than the kids themselves. If anything, it shines a light on these kids.

As stated its free publicity for those organizations anyway and they'll probably be better off. More money, more awareness.

EDIT: Basically exactly what the guy above me said just with more rambling!!!
Old 04-06-2009, 05:11 PM   #30
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I refuse to watch that show as they are just extremely obtuse misanthropes who use the "media" to disguise their actions.

What will be next? Shoot some aborigines? Crash a plane full of passengers?

The show should be stopped and each of the writers and the producer banned for ever woring in the public media ever again.
Closed Thread