Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-05-2005, 04:53 PM   #1
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Default Stonechips !

We'll i'm one ****ed off chap. I bought a '02 Toyota Avalon (dont worry I still like Fords) car about a week ago and have already got two big stone chips on the window of my once immaculate car.

Today's one is a big one. I got it coming back on the F3 from Newcastle, at the Morrisset turnoff; a big chunk of gravel came flying off the back of a Boral truck (I reckon the tarp was put on by a blind monkey)

I got the rego of the Truck and rang up Boral but the guy i need to talk to isn't there. I just hope they dont dick me around.

You guys had any luck getting money off Trucking companies and can big stonechips be repaired or do I need a new screen. I dont want to involve my Insurance cause I've got no claims and my Excess would buy me about 10 windscreens. :

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 04:56 PM   #2
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check your insurance policy - some offer free windscreen replacements at one per year...
Old 24-05-2005, 06:49 PM   #3
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I don't think you're going to have any luck trying to claim stone chip damage from a trucking company. Stone chips aren't exactly intentional, just a hazard of following a large truck. I'm sure they'll come back with the usual 'prove it came from one of our trucks'.

My insurance policy has windscreen replacement, but I believe the windscreen repair technology these days is that good that if you catch it in time, you'd have no idea that you had any stone chips on your windscreen.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 07:08 PM   #4
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

I don't think I'm going to get much luck getting the money out of them either. I don't my insurance gives me a free windscreen replacement.

I've heard they can fixes the chips in windscreens pretty well these days as well. Might just have to pay up and get it fixed myself.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 08:44 PM   #5
megsy
Undergraduate EB Operator

see what your insurance company can do, if they cant replace it or fix it for you, they can generally put you onto someone who will give you a discount and still do a good job.
megsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 09:04 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Your best bet is to get it repaired ASAP. Novus and places like that do a great job and while you'll always be able to tell it was there (to differeing degrees depending on how early you catch it), they can make it disappear pretty well, and stop it from cracking any further.

Probably not worth the effort with Boral but you never know your luck.