Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-05-2005, 06:04 PM   #1
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Angry Not Happy.

Well , im quite pi$$ed off at the moment becuase some ****a broke into my car at a shopping center today and stole my brothers ipod and my brand new 2 day old FM transmitter...Im not very impressed with the security on the AU2 falcon AT ALL. The car wasnt damaged in any way appart from the lock that appeared to have had a screw driver inserted into it and busted open....

There is no point making an insurance claim for such a small amount so im going to have to buy my brother a new ipod and fix the lock at my own expense.

Im pretty amazed at how easy the 'tibby' locks can be tampered with...i was under the impression they were very hard to get around....obviously not.
Do i need to replace the ignition barrel aswell if i get a new door lock?

ing_sm

James
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2005, 06:10 PM   #2
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

i think you'll find with the introduction of the smart shield coded keys that alot of other keys will actually open the door, just not start the car..

I can get into any post 88 Falcon in less that 15 seconds without damaging anything..
Something for you to think about when you leave valuables in view.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2005, 06:19 PM   #3
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
i think you'll find with the introduction of the smart shield coded keys that alot of other keys will actually open the door, just not start the car..

I can get into any post 88 Falcon in less that 15 seconds without damaging anything..
Something for you to think about when you leave valuables in view.

The thing is , nothing was in view.....it was ALL in the glove box.....i could understand it if things were in view but they wernt....they broke in hoping to possibly find something to take and they scored well...

I knew you would lock all tibby lock falcons with any key but had no idea about unlocking them....
Old 28-05-2005, 06:24 PM   #4
LUXO_8
windsor user

i had a tibbie key that was well worn and it would open most tibbie keys.... hell it even started a few friends falcons (pre smartlock / smartshield though)
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2005, 06:25 PM   #5
bonkaschumi
Lightning Strike BA XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cArSiK
Well , im quite pi$$ed off at the moment becuase some ****a broke into my car at a shopping center today and stole my brothers ipod and my brand new 2 day old FM transmitter...Im not very impressed with the security on the AU2 falcon AT ALL. The car wasnt damaged in any way appart from the lock that appeared to have had a screw driver inserted into it and busted open....

There is no point making an insurance claim for such a small amount so im going to have to buy my brother a new ipod and fix the lock at my own expense.

Im pretty amazed at how easy the 'tibby' locks can be tampered with...i was under the impression they were very hard to get around....obviously not.
Do i need to replace the ignition barrel aswell if i get a new door lock?

ing_sm

James
I know how you feel mate, had my ute's passenger window smashed last year to steal my girlfriends leather jacket which she stupidly left on the seat.
Dont ever tempt these ****ers cause they have no remorse.
Old 28-05-2005, 06:39 PM   #6
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

Unfortunately I don't think there will ever be a car that theives will not be able to work away around getting into.

I've found my EB with the door half opened (like I hadn't shut the door properly) and scratch marks on it on a couple of occasions, I either disturbed them or they weren't very clever theives.

Sorry to hear that you lost so much stuff even when it was out of sight, I even hide loose change there are some pretty pathetic people out there. :yeees:
Old 28-05-2005, 06:43 PM   #7
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvinmyEB
I even hide loose change there are some pretty pathetic people out there. :yeees:
i try to as well these days..

some lowlife stole about $5 and some cheap "servo sunnies" from my old car - XF ute.......
scum...
Old 28-05-2005, 06:54 PM   #8
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

someone broke into one of my cars a few years back, and stole the packet of PHOTOS that were in the glove box. And before they left they put the negatives on the carpet on the floor and set fire to them... luckily i didnt lose the car, and the one that was parked next to it.
the lack of mentality of these people is a bit beyond me...

theres too many a$$holes in this world......
Old 28-05-2005, 06:55 PM   #9
EFFalcon
Last warning

John_XR6's smartlock remote unlocks and locks my car.
mine doesn't do anything to his.

now think about that... what are the chances of SOMEONE you know having a key to open your car, let alone the thousands of other potential intruders :/
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2005, 07:20 PM   #10
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks for the replies everyone....

So when i replace the lock , i will have to replace the ignition one aswell if i dont want two keys wont I ? Anyone got an idea on the cost of all this?

Cheers
James
Old 28-05-2005, 07:30 PM   #11
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can have the new lock changed to work with your current key. Any car is easy to break into without damaging it.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2005, 07:30 PM   #12
pauly85
commodore bogan

when u buy your new lock from ford, u will get 2 keys, sometimes they are blank, sometimes they arnt, take the new lock to a lock smiths as well as the ignition key, get the new lock "keyed alike" so the ignition key will open the door lock, make sure that the new lock is a door lock, so it can turn in both directions, not a boot lock, a boot lock will only turn in 1 direction, at work we had trouble with this, after getting new locks sent to us 3 times finally they gave us the door lock which we needed,not the boot lock
pauly85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2005, 08:08 PM   #13
gtfpv
GT

i'm flabbergasted and cant believe how easy it seems to break into a car. i thought they were very hard to get into these days. but multiple keys opening one car in this day and age . i'm taken aback aye!!!!!!
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2005, 08:10 PM   #14
NIGHTHAWK
starter motor

Cool re: tibbe locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cArSiK
thanks for the replies everyone....

So when i replace the lock , i will have to replace the ignition one aswell if i dont want two keys wont I ? Anyone got an idea on the cost of all this?

Cheers
James
When you go to Ford to get your lock, first check the price of the door lock. Then ring a locksmith to see how much it would cost to rekey your lock to your ignition key. Also check with Ford to see how much a lock set(1 ignition, 1 door lock, and 1 boot lock ) costs.It may be cheaper, or even if it costs a few dollars more you now have a new key(s) to your car.They are not that hard to put in just takes time.
NIGHTHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2005, 08:15 PM   #15
LUXO_8
windsor user

ignition locks on AU's are a fortune from memory...... much more than getting a doorlock redone to suit your key
Old 28-05-2005, 08:20 PM   #16
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

You should just be able to fix your current lock. Someone tried to break into my old AU1 XR6 with a screwdriver and stuffed the lock so bad I couldn't use the key to get into the car. My remote battery was also flat (reason I was using the key), so I had to go and get a new battery so I could open the door.

Anyway, I took the lock/barrel out of the car, pulled it apart and fixed it myself - worth a shot before you go paying for a new one.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2005, 08:21 PM   #17
Kingsley
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
i try to as well these days..

some lowlife stole about $5 and some cheap "servo sunnies" from my old car - XF ute.......
scum...
These ****a's must have relatives near here. That's exactly what they stole out of an XF wagon I had parked here. They actually did the whole street twice in 6 mths. The second time they were disturbed by a neighbour who saw them get into a car. Unfortunetly he can't tell the difference between a Fairlane and a Honda Zot nor could he read the plates!!
Sorry to hear about the theft cArsik. Seems to be a lot of it lately
Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2005, 08:24 PM   #18
Kingsley
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
John_XR6's smartlock remote unlocks and locks my car.
mine doesn't do anything to his.

now think about that... what are the chances of SOMEONE you know having a key to open your car, let alone the thousands of other potential intruders :/
I worked at a Ford dealer a while ago and on occaision unlocking the new cars in the yard you would find that some remotes unlocked more than one car.
Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2005, 08:24 PM   #19
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingy351
These ****a's must have relatives near here. That's exactly what they stole out of an XF wagon I had parked here. They actually did the whole street twice in 6 mths. The second time they were disturbed by a neighbour who saw them get into a car. Unfortunetly he can't tell the difference between a Fairlane and a Honda Zot nor could he read the plates!!
Sorry to hear about the theft cArsik. Seems to be a lot of it lately
the time before they stole my headunit........ the car was parked in my driveway!!! but was unlocked... :

i guess they were trying to see if i had a new headunit yet....... luckily i hadnt
Old 28-05-2005, 08:34 PM   #20
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I was at the local RTA with my father in a friend's car, and on parking the car and getting out, went to lock it with the remote, and heard 3 lots of beeps.
Once we pressed the button a few more times we realised that by locking the car we had, we had unlocked the car 2 down from us. Totally different make and model.
Being the considerate people we are, rather than leaving the other person's car unlocked, we moved the one we were in.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post