Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-09-2007, 12:06 AM   #1
cowboy
Cowboy

Default Rip Off

So the ariel lead for the UHF radio in my ute had a break in it so in I went to the local radio/phone kit/GPS store and asked to have it joined. They agreed and asked me to bring the car round the back, no worries. Ended up pulling some more lead from under the dash and soldering a new fitting on the end (fitting supplied by me). All up maybe 5 min work. went in to pay the account and almost fell over when the girl says that'll be $47. I was stunned. I mean living in remote areas you always expect to pay a little more but holy crap, $47 for 5 min! That's about 560 bucks an hour! Remained calm (temper never wins in these situations) and after much discussion they dropped it to $27, still dear but i paid and left.

Any other blatant rip off stories out there?

1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 12:12 AM   #2
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Yeah, I bought an EBXR8 from a car yard that also does RW's. Drove around for 2 days and got a MAJOR defective. All i had done to the car was fill it up with fuel.

Mehanic/neighbour tried to charge me $35 for 'advising' because i asked him about Holley adaptors.

Thats all i can think of ATM

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 12:16 AM   #3
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy
All service stations for both petrol & goods from within the store.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 12:23 AM   #4
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So the ariel lead for the UHF radio in my ute had a break in it so in I went to the local radio/phone kit/GPS store and asked to have it joined. They agreed and asked me to bring the car round the back, no worries. Ended up pulling some more lead from under the dash and soldering a new fitting on the end (fitting supplied by me). All up maybe 5 min work. went in to pay the account and almost fell over when the girl says that'll be $47. I was stunned. I mean living in remote areas you always expect to pay a little more but holy crap, $47 for 5 min! That's about 560 bucks an hour! Remained calm (temper never wins in these situations) and after much discussion they dropped it to $27, still dear but i paid and left.

So why didn't you fix it yourself?

What? You didn't know how? You didn't have the equipment?

So you went to a place where a person who did know how and did have the equipment stopped what they were doing, went out to sort your problem when YOU wanted it fixed and then you complain about the bill?

I have a good idea. You are obviously a hard working employee. How about you only get paid for your ACTUAL work. Every time you are not ACTUALLY working, like walking to or from a desk, looking out the window, posting on AFF, having a drink of water, talking to other people you don't get paid?
And if there is nothing for you to do even though it is not your fault you don't get paid at all until there is even if it is days or weeks.

Don't like that idea?

You might get the idea I have very little time for whingers........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 12:24 AM   #5
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
All service stations for both petrol & goods from within the store.
hahaha! tell me about it. $3.50 for a bloody mars bar!
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 12:29 AM   #6
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose
hahaha! tell me about it. $3.50 for a bloody mars bar!
What?!
I thought $3.80 for a coke, $8 for a pack of NO-DOZ and a redbull was bad enough...
But theres a deal where its like $4 for a mars bar and a coke. What the?

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 01:08 AM   #7
Super Roo 1970
Windsor=Screamer

I would have waited till I was in a decent sized town and found a Dick-head Smith Store and feel ripped off paying $29 for a new base and lead.
Super Roo 1970 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 01:09 AM   #8
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

So you went to a place where a person who did know how and did have the equipment stopped what they were doing, went out to sort your problem when YOU wanted it fixed and then you complain about the bill?

I have a good idea. You are obviously a hard working employee. How about you only get paid for your ACTUAL work. Every time you are not ACTUALLY working, like walking to or from a desk, looking out the window, posting on AFF, having a drink of water, talking to other people you don't get paid?
And if there is nothing for you to do even though it is not your fault you don't get paid at all until there is even if it is days or weeks.

Don't like that idea?

I do agree with most of it. Not only the gear and the expertise side of things, but also the liability as well. Not only do they use their profession and skills, but they do have to put name to it too. And with that they do take responsibility, as if your car shorted out and had a fire they would be under scrutiny, as they did the work.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 09:16 AM   #9
myxr6
Banned

Most places charge a minimum hours labour regardless of the time taken.
myxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 09:55 AM   #10
cowboy
Cowboy

Quote:

Don't like that idea?

Would have fixed it myself if i had known what they'd charge. Was in a mining town a long way from home and all my tools and thought it would be cheaper and easier to get it fixed than go and buy a soldering iron. The place I went didn't have to stop any jobs, spoke to receptionist then waited out front until one of their guys had finished a job and could look. Would be quite happy with your pay idea. I have 2 jobs, one on an oil rig where i am now and the other driving road trains hauling ore. There is no "not working time".
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
Old 25-09-2007, 10:02 AM   #11
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:

Don't like that idea?

I dont care how you slice it, $47 to refit the PL259 coupling on coax is rough, especially when the client supplies the fitting. Oh and if they just shortened the coax, they havent a clue what they are doing. The length of coax should be a mathematical portion of the wavelength. Sure it still works, but like runners on EFI manifolds, the length has a purpose in good design.

You have little time for whingers? Please, there was more wine in your post than a Holden diff. Pot, meet kettle.

Last edited by fmc351; 25-09-2007 at 10:07 AM.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 10:12 AM   #12
zhodak
Shakern, not stirred

Quote:
I bought a new Ford once :(
New toy, 2005 TX RWD Territory, Black, optioned with Ex JC Cross 5 19's soon to be matt black alloys in 19x8.5, cruise and tinted glass, tricky pedals, JVC Head Unit in the what use to be tissue holder, reversre camera, Ford window shades, JC sourced cargo blind, MOMO wheel (in black of course). MB Quartz 2 ways in rear doors and Precision Response 6" Kevlar splits in front doors, LED DRL's, fog lights with angel eyes and Castle Headers, Hurricane cat and XR8 Hotdog
zhodak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 10:19 AM   #13
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
You have little time for whingers? Please, there was more wine in your post than a Holden diff. Pot, meet kettle.
No I drink rum and beer not wine. As far as I am aware holden diffs contain oil.

All these terrible ripoffs. If you don't like it go somewhere else.

Lets see. In a remote location so you pay more to have those services available. Do you gat paid more to work on your oil rig than someone doing the same level of work in the suburbs?
Do you earm more driving your road than than a courier driver?

As far as the rip off servos. They could be the same price as a supermarket if they were only open 9-5 weekdays and half Saturday.

What you pay for is convenience. Someone else is spending time and money so YOU can have it easier and so YOU are paying for that privilege.

So get out and save money. Sell your falcon and take the bus or buy a Hyundai. Buy your food and drinks at Aldi. Buy your grog out of the specials bin. If you break anything fix it yourself.

Lots of people do, you have probably seen them......
Old 25-09-2007, 10:30 AM   #14
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Easiest way I suppose is to ask "how much" will it cost before you "yeah, go ahead with it mate" so you don't end up thinking "oh *add your choice of cursing/abuse/swearing/begging*". Its not nice being ripped/raped/shafted, but at the same time... you can always ask beforehand. If you don't like the "damage" don't get it fixed.
Old 25-09-2007, 10:38 AM   #15
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
No I drink rum and beer not wine. As far as I am aware holden diffs contain oil.

All these terrible ripoffs. If you don't like it go somewhere else. Bit hard once the job is done

Lets see. In a remote location so you pay more to have those services available. And they have a captive customer base, no competition. Do you gat paid more to work on your oil rig than someone doing the same level of work in the suburbs?Not my oil rig, not my truck. Not my thread
Do you earm more driving your road than than a courier driver?Is he driving something larger than a normal courier? Is a PL259 harder to solder in the outback?

As far as the rip off servos. They could be the same price as a supermarket if they were only open 9-5 weekdays and half Saturday.Please. What are you, 12?

What you pay for is convenience. Someone else is spending time and money so YOU can have it easier and so YOU are paying for that privilege.I see youre in fact 8. Privilege? They set up business for profit, rip off is a fair complaint. $47 for a PL259 resoldering qualifies as a rip off. Convenience, pigs ar5e

So get out and save money. Sell your falcon and take the bus or buy a Hyundai. Buy your food and drinks at Aldi. Buy your grog out of the specials bin. If you break anything fix it yourself. Save your playschool financial advice for the kids in the playground.

You seem confused, allow me to point you in the right direction, Im not the OP. I made no complaints. I simply suggested a mirror may be useful to you if you feel the need to spot a whinger. Ill check back later to see if you decide to whinge some more.
Old 25-09-2007, 10:43 AM   #16
red_hotxr6
Banned

I had the bottom part of my seat that supports the actual cushion split, i went to the upholsters up by me to get it fixed, $95.00 was quoted, so i said thanks and left On the way to redcliffe dynos i passed an upholsterer, stopped and asked him how much to fix, $10.00, and it will take 1/2 an hour. went to steve,s passed back and the guy said it was a bit harder to do than we thought $15.00, but for that price i wasnt arguing. Got some RECARO material finally from japan, asked the same guy near me again how much to recover 2 panels, $350.00, so i went to the one at alderley, $140.00, so guess who is doing it for me tomorrow. Rip offs..everywhere.
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 11:00 AM   #17
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hotxr6
I had the bottom part of my seat that supports the actual cushion split, i went to the upholsters up by me to get it fixed, $95.00 was quoted, so i said thanks and left On the way to redcliffe dynos i passed an upholsterer, stopped and asked him how much to fix, $10.00, and it will take 1/2 an hour. went to steve,s passed back and the guy said it was a bit harder to do than we thought $15.00, but for that price i wasnt arguing. Got some RECARO material finally from japan, asked the same guy near me again how much to recover 2 panels, $350.00, so i went to the one at alderley, $140.00, so guess who is doing it for me tomorrow. Rip offs..everywhere.
But wait, thats common sense you're not supposed to post that lol. It pays to ask does it not?
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 01:29 PM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
You seem confused, allow me to point you in the right direction, Im not the OP. I made no complaints. I simply suggested a mirror may be useful to you if you feel the need to spot a whinger. Ill check back later to see if you decide to whinge some more.
Well I was looking to reply to your points but you haven't actually really made any. I then looked back over your history and that seems to be what you normally do.

Now you seem to want to make this a personal attack and you know what happens to members who do that.
Old 25-09-2007, 02:32 PM   #19
Macca23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well i woulda charged for that job - $5 in part.
Labour say 20min ? - $30

Thats in sydney metro too btw!
Macca23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 02:56 PM   #20
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca23
Well i woulda charged for that job - $5 in part.
Labour say 20min ? - $30

Thats in sydney metro too btw!
That is $90/hr. You would need to charge 20 hrs/wk just to make wages.

For those who do not work for themselves or run a business.

You have to pay for:

Telephone/Internet
Vehicle expenses
Rent/lease of premesis
Body corp fees (usually)
Public Liability Insurance
Professional Liability Insurance
Income protection insurance (no work cover or paid sickies)
Fees and interest of EFTPOS, overdraft, whatever
Accounting fees
Work cover (if you employ anyone)
Advertising
Plant and equipment
Stock on hand
Consumables

and lots lots more.

If you do not take this into account when you run your business you will go splat like 95% of new businesses do.

The original complaint was that the guy charged $47. That is about 2/3 of our min charge, $71.50 and that business has been running for 22 years.

Now I wonder if that guy charged $47/5m or maybe charged $47/30m or part there of. Did he have continuous work lined up or was he up and down depending on external influences?

If he were not there (and there were no others) what would you have done?
Like the petrol stations, if they closed because they went broke due to petrol price cutting wars (the food shop is a major profit centre in that business model) what would you do?
Old 25-09-2007, 02:59 PM   #21
sarrge2001
SZII in Silhouette

A one man operation will usually be cheaper than a company with more employees.

I'm in Adelaide and we would have charged a minimum 1/2 hour ($41.25 inc GST) and our charges are probably middle of the road

That has to cover:
Labour to fix it.
Processing time to raise and close a service job
Invoice and payment processing
Warranty on the work conducted
Premises
Tax

etc etc etc

Yes, at first glance, $47.00 could be considered expensive when you look at what needed to be done, but looking at the picture of business as a whole, it's not that bad.

Moral is - ask for a quote first.......

Strangers have the best candy.......

Last edited by sarrge2001; 25-09-2007 at 03:04 PM.
sarrge2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 04:36 PM   #22
cowboy
Cowboy

Quote:
No I drink rum and beer not wine. As far as I am aware holden diffs contain oil.points for being a bundy drinker

All these terrible ripoffs. If you don't like it go somewhere else.somewhere else is perth, 600 odd km away

Lets see. In a remote location so you pay more to have those services available. Do you gat paid more to work on your oil rig than someone doing the same level of work in the suburbs?yes I do, but then people in the suburbs can go home every night, see their loved ones, have weekends off and don't work with constant danger of explosion/fire/sinking etc
Do you earm more driving your road than than a courier driver?again yes but how many couriers vehicles are 53m long and weigh 150ton.

As far as the rip off servos. They could be the same price as a supermarket if they were only open 9-5 weekdays and half Saturday.I have no prob with servo prices

What you pay for is convenience. Someone else is spending time and money so YOU can have it easier and so YOU are paying for that privilege.

So get out and save money. Sell your falcon and take the bus or buy a Hyundai. Buy your food and drinks at Aldi. Buy your grog out of the specials bin. If you break anything fix it yourself. serious question here, what the heck is Aldi? And i fix nearly everything myself but as stated i'm a long way from home and my tool kit

Guess I have just been spoilt by too many small bush towns. This type of little job gets sorted out easily there. Cash or beer.

And isn't whinging about whingers a whinge in itself?
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
Old 25-09-2007, 04:53 PM   #23
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Well I was looking to reply to your points but you haven't actually really made any. I then looked back over your history and that seems to be what you normally do.

Now you seem to want to make this a personal attack and you know what happens to members who do that.
I responded to YOU calling someone a whinger because he was appalled at paying $47 for a $20 job. Whinger, sounds like a personal attack to me. Im just calling a spade a spade. Maybe you should worry about what happens when you make personal attacks. You could have just made that last post instead.
Old 25-09-2007, 04:57 PM   #24
Blonk
Iconoclast

I once spent 5 minutes reading flappists whinging posts..

I want my 5 minutes back..!!
Blonk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 05:22 PM   #25
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

There is a difference between being charged whats "Fair" with whats "Fair and reasonable". Yes I would agree with the original post that the price paid was too much. My experience with country towns is that they charge "Fair and reasonable", where as city charges "Fair".....

You could have just got the guy on a bad day and he wanted to take up out on you?

And the guy doing the job was also clever by not quoting a price beforehand. I have learnt the hard way about that personally. Any work that is ever done by a tradesperson is quoted up front, no matter how small. If I agree I also add that should it end up costing $1 more than I want a call beforehand to OK the extra money.

Hows this..... Walk into Aus post to get info on delivery charges for different types of mail as well as other leaflets of info. They are out of the specific leaflet I was after so the person pulled out a book with the info to refer to. The person said words to the effect of "I can copy that if you want" seeing as they were out of the leaflet and I couldnt take their behind the counter booklet.....

I agreed, thanked them for their help then proceeded to gather the leaflets and the copy to leave the counter. She then said... hang on, I have to charge you for the copy.

I looked at her blankly and said are you serious? Your charging me for a copy that you suggested and that was only done caus you were out of the info leaflet? Had I known they were gonna charge me I would have just written down the info from the book, or get the info online.

In the end after some heated words with the person in the next teller I screwed up the copy and threw it over the counter. (He sugested I do this and F^#K off if I was going to argue over 30c... so I did).

And yes, the office was empty and I wasnt holding anyone up.....
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 05:37 PM   #26
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Guess I have just been spoilt by too many small bush towns. This type of little job gets sorted out easily there. Cash or beer.

And isn't whinging about whingers a whinge in itself?
Probably.

Aldi is a super cheapo supermarket that sells all its own brands and is usually much cheaper than woolies/coles etc. I think they are german.

I grew up in a small bush town where things were done as favours, cash or beer. The difference was if something went wrong it was resolved personally face to face, there was not "fair trading", "ombudsman", "a current affair", "solicitors at 10 paces" etc. etc and you get the job done when it was convenient, not NOW NOW NOW.

I am not saying that you personally are like that but a large percentage of society is and that is who you have to cater for.

Just read this forum. How many threads blame someone else for their troubles?
"I modded my <insert car here> and got it tuned at <insert shop here> and it went bang after only 120,000 quarter mile runs".
or
"I got my car tuned at shop A and only got 750rwkw whereas baldrick got his done at shop B and he got 751rwkw. I want a refund".

It is a litigeous world and you have to cover your bum or else you will get hammered.

You pointed out that you earn more because you are in woop woop and control a large and difficult vehicle and this is rightly so. Your employer pays you more than he would a 17 year old kid because he needs skill, experience and some trust that you will do the job properly.

So although you think you were ripped.

If he had shorted the coax and you fried the PA tranny then he would have had to fix it, at his cost.
If he had made a dry joint and later when you broke down or need info from other trucks the radio had a range of 10 feet you would spew.

He did a professional job, tested it afterward and for the cost of a few drinks you have a safety/communication device that works and next time you have a problem you will not see a "For Lease" sign in the window as he will probably be there to fix that one too.
Old 25-09-2007, 05:44 PM   #27
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonk
I once spent 5 minutes reading flappists whinging posts..

I want my 5 minutes back..!!
Well one day if you post something worthwhile somebody might read your posts and actually care what you say.
Old 25-09-2007, 05:55 PM   #28
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't agree with Flappist too often and he never agrees with me (probably because I'm a nice whinger too), but I think he's correct.

Before you get any work done, get a quote and if you don't like it, go elsewhere.

After somebody has completed the work you leave yourself open to any costs.

I will say that your 47 dollar cost is nothing for five minutes

An anesthetist charged me 80 bucks for a 10 second consultation where he walked up to my bed, said, "I'll stick a needle in your arm and you'll fall asleep. Any questions? No? Bye". That's about $28,800 an hour. Was it right? Absolutely...an anesthetist (or anybody working in the field) has massive risk of litigation and is under a lot of pressure with appointments throughout the day.
They have to work hard to get to where they are and work harder to stay there. There was no alternative so any cost I pay is the way it goes.

Life is full of costs and sometimes, you just need to grin and bear it.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2007, 06:03 PM   #29
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
I don't agree with Flappist too often and he never agrees with me (probably because I'm a nice whinger too), but I think he's correct.
It is not that I never agree with you at all. If I have no interest in a thread or the points made are very obvious, indesputable and I would just be repeating what you or others have said then I usually say nothing. Too many threads have the same comment or statement over and over again.
Old 25-09-2007, 06:17 PM   #30
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It is not that I never agree with you at all. If I have no interest in a thread or the points made are very obvious, indesputable and I would just be repeating what you or others have said then I usually say nothing. Too many threads have the same comment or statement over and over again.
Fair enough.

Peace

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post