Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-10-2007, 10:31 PM   #1
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Anyone from Dalby area?

Just curious on feedback on that part of Qld.

Myself and my wife might have some work opportunities out that way in 12-24 months, and initially I love the idea.

I've holidayed a few times at the Bunya Mountains and really enjoy the layed back lifestyle. I picture both of us buying one of the places up in the mountains and driving to Dalby each day (in a nice Territory of course :P) for work - and just enjoying the relaxed country lifestyle for a bit.

But I guess why I'm posting - is just to get some feedback from anyone out that way on what the lifestyle / area is really like. Pros / Cons, all that stuff

I've always lived around the city, but I really hate the hectic lifestyle and cramped living.

Anyhow, if anyone has something to add I'd appreciate anything you have to say, good or bad I just want to make sure my glasses aren't to rose coloured and get the complete picture.

(please ignore any typos or grammar issues, I've been really sick and I'm doped up on drugs at the moment...)

Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2007, 10:43 PM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Depends what you and your Wife value in life. Do you have a big social life? You will find that theres alot less to do on weekends in these parts of the world, if your local pub excites you then you'll be okay.

Ive spent alot of time in Warwick and Toowoomba, warwick is more like Dalby and I have to say that theres very little to do in your spare time, depending on what sort of person you are. Dalby offers the bare necessities that you will need but you will spend a hell of alot of time in Toowoomba, as it offers a great deal more as far as shopping etc goes, as well as medical.

I guess it all comes down to what sort of person you are and how you spend your free time, you will probarly enjoy it for a few years then think about the opportunites that city life offer over country life.. Its a win lose situation either way.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 15.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2007, 11:20 PM   #3
Turboconvert

mate, i live in dalby and have for the best part of my life.
on one hand, ls is right, there is not that much to do. on the other hand, it depends on where you look and what you want to do...
i.e - bunya mountains is only a short drive from here as you know
- lake broadwater in the other direction (thou it is pretty low atm)
-toowoomba is only an hours drive
- jimbour house (station house and garden is the attraction from the 1800)
- acland coal mine (dont know if it is still open to the public and is about 20 - 30 minutes out of town towards toowoomba)
- jondaran woolshed (back towards toowoomba by about 30 minutes, there are signs out, can not miss really)
-for the nocturall in you, 8 or so half decent pubs/cluds/resturants, all within a short walking distance of each other and makes pub crawling somewhat easier
- we do have a cinema
- pinoneer museum (good only once thou as it is not that exciting)
- we now have a shopping center thou in comparison to grand central in toowoomba it is somewhat lacking a little thou. (and we dont open on sundays)
- if have a hobby, that helps too.
- sporting valcilities are here too. including a good 18 hole golf coarse, cricket and football grounds. And for the little kiddies as well is soccer.

as you can see thou for many of the things to do it is a bit of a drive thou. a lot of people that have lived here for quite some time have learnt to look for things to do. some of the things listed above are rarer for some people to do over the weekend than others. If you make friends here, that is a great start for things to do as you have someone to do it with. my favourate suggestion out of the above is to get a hobbie thou. i have miniture figurines that i build and paint.

anyways sorry for the long post, but you asked. so when ever you come to town, feel free to chase me down with a pm, i might give you a tour and it will give you something to do....(and maybe some ideas as how to amuse yourself here).

and p.s. there is a bit of a car scene here in town to, my brother is apart of a local car club so we are not all ag dag utes and old 4wds....

Bf xr6 turbo sedan, 6 SP auto, Leather/suede interior
Turboconvert is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2007, 11:29 PM   #4
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

I'm not from Dalby , but been through there a couple of times , nice quiet little place .

The reason for replying here is My wife & "2" kids moved from Sydney to the country and as LSTerritoryGhia said , depends on your life style . I was lucky enough to have been born here , so plenty of "relo's" , but can understand your attraction . We have never regretted moving . Must have been good , we had "3" kids after 12 months

A couple of things to do in preparation , if it's possible , take a couple of trips there , then get "a piece of paper" and make 4 lists , "For and Against" where you live now , "For and Against" Dalby (or surrounding area) . It might sound dumb , but it really works . You both fill in your thoughts in the appropriate columns . then it's all there in Black & White.

About the only negatives in moving (and important to consider) if you stay Long Term , some of the kids will have to move away for work , and would we miss the beaches , seeing we only went to the beach 2-3 times a year , that wasn't a worry , all the pluses was for the country . The wife was a city girl and "would never go back there ". Eldest daughter got work back in Sydney , but we wouldn't change a thing . When you've been there a couple of times "You Will Know" if it's the right thing to do .

Norm

EDIT , 30 minute trip in the country is like going to the next suburb in the city , just a lot nicer drive :

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2007, 11:40 PM   #5
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks everyone for all the great advice.

Yeah, we'll definately have to spend some time out there down the track before we move there for work, just to make sure that we don't move and then regret it after a week. I just kinda got really excited at the idea, I like the thought of living somewhere where I can see the stars, not the street lights and I can hear the birds not the neighbours...

I don't think it would be an long-term thing though. But in saying that, if we love it, it might. We don't have kids (yet), so it's not like we'd give them a tough time moving back and forth if it turned out to be 'not for us'.

Hrmm, I'd better go back to the couch for a bit... :
Old 12-10-2007, 11:52 PM   #6
rodderz

I've been through there, not a bad town

Is the work at the Dingo factory? It's amazing to see how those things get built and how Gary Briggs built it up from a backyard shed to what it is today...worth having a gander at!
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2007, 11:59 PM   #7
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nah, I'd actually better not say what the work is. It's not huge for the town or anything and not James Bond stuff, but I'd still better not mention it at the moment. It's all still in the planning phase.

If you've gone through and haven't gone up to the Bunya Mountains - do yourself a favour and if you ever go back through again, take a trip up to them (only about 20-30 mins). I love it up there, it's so beautiful
Old 13-10-2007, 04:37 AM   #8
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
Thanks everyone for all the great advice.

Yeah, we'll definately have to spend some time out there down the track before we move there for work, just to make sure that we don't move and then regret it after a week. (Best to rent first before buying , easier IF you need to move ) I just kinda got really excited at the idea, I like the thought of living somewhere where I can see the stars, not the street lights (and you can ) and I can hear the birds not the neighbours...

I don't think it would be an long-term thing though.( Careful , it's addictive) But in saying that, if we love it, it might. We don't have kids (yet), (watch out for the "country air" ) so it's not like we'd give them a tough time moving back and forth if it turned out to be 'not for us'.
Country Towns ...(What we found after 16 years)

People more Friendly
You get to know your neighbours if not most of the street .
People more helpful
Shops , especially smaller ones treat you with respect.
"Blend in" (we've got a couple of guys who moved in here who were "gonna fix this place" (sorry , don't mean to be disrespectful)

Got to live there 30 yrs before you become "a Local" (joke)

Norm ..... (Wish you Luck , you won't regret it)

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2007, 08:16 AM   #9
gravelrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
Nah, I'd actually better not say what the work is. It's not huge for the town or anything and not James Bond stuff, but I'd still better not mention it at the moment. It's all still in the planning phase.

If you've gone through and haven't gone up to the Bunya Mountains - do yourself a favour and if you ever go back through again, take a trip up to them (only about 20-30 mins). I love it up there, it's so beautiful

The Ethanol Plant??
Mate i live in Dalby, have been since 1992. I have seen many business grow quite big namely Dingo now exporting all over the world, Black Toyota now has 8 dealerships with the main dealership being dalby.
Dalby is in an ideal part of QLD. 2.5 hours to sunshine coast, 2.5 hours to the Gold Coast, 2 hours to Brisbane, yet we are still in the country where the air is clean.
I`m vice president of the local Cruizers Car Club, we are having a small show at the local repco this morning (13/10/2007) your welcome to come along introduce yourself.
cheers Greg
gravelrash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2007, 08:31 AM   #10
HotRod
Boost is only option

hi there mate i live in Dalby as well,,was born here..,i just happened to be the president off the cruizers car club come on over and introduce your self like greg said all is good in our town

i also own and run a small performance shop called RAW Automotive & Performance...i build engines service cars and have a 2wd chassie dyno

i also have a AU XR6 turbo...and 27 T bucket hot rod with a Turbo crossflow in it
anyhow my bit said go to www.cruizers.netfirms.com
Old 13-10-2007, 10:51 AM   #11
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds great guys - I have found that when I've spent time out that way that everyone is so friendly. That's what we love, we love closer-nit communities and places where you actually do get to know your neighbours names. We like enjoying nature more than nightclubs etc etc, everything in life just makes us think we'd enjoy the country more. Then again - we won't know until we try I guess

I'd love to come along this morning Greg but I'm flat out getting out of bed at the moment :( Thought I made it through flu season - guess not :(

Thanks for all the points to Norm, and yeah, we wouldn't be going there to "fix the place" - the reason we would be going there is to blend in - and enjoy it! Renting first is also a great suggestion, thanks.

Thanks again for the feedback everyone

Oh and Gravel - it's not the Ethanol Plant
Old 13-10-2007, 08:59 PM   #12
gravelrash

have you actually moved to Dalby yet?
not the Ethanol plant huh, please tell me your opening a Big Dads Pie shop then...i`ll be you best customer.
gravelrash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2007, 11:07 PM   #13
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

haha Gravel - no haven't moved yet (there's more info up in my first post) And I wish it was a Big Dads Pie shop :P I love pies...