Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-01-2008, 10:47 PM   #1
paul_r_d

Default Japanese/Korean views?

Just a general question, what's everyones view on Japanese/Korean little 4 cylinders? The gf wants a car of this range and I dont know how they hold up. Shes looking at a Getz or a Rio... something similar.

paul_r_d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 10:50 PM   #2
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

i know that the getz is pretty good my mother inlaw has had one the last three cars and always gone pretty well and they drive pretty well too and still got a bit of go too, space wise not too bad though dont think you would get a sub in lol, though still got a bit of space in the boot, rear seat dont have a huge amount of space but how often would you use the back seat

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape
asusdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 10:52 PM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_r_d
Just a general question, what's everyones view on Japanese/Korean little 4 cylinders? The gf wants a car of this range and I dont know how they hold up. Shes looking at a Getz or a Rio... something similar.
Jap cars are always seen as pretty good, both in terms of build and relaibility. Parts for the common cars are easy to obtain as well.

Korean cars have come a long way in the last decade. Korean car manufacturers are Japans biggest threat! Any new Korean car from Hyundai or Kia would be just a good as any new Japanese car IMO. And the Korean cars are usually slightly cheaper, and have longer warranties.

Daewoo's are 1 step below the other 2 Korean cars mentioned, again IMO.

Buy new and i'm sure you can't go wrong!
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 10:53 PM   #4
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I think Hyundai is alot better than it used to be. I would still keep clear of the Kia though.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 10:56 PM   #5
SBR_1
soon to be a McDonald :D

Iv got a rio.And the thing is great on fuel.Great little car to.Well its not so little just looks it.Only problem im having is it is drinking oil.And it seems it is just the car,which is being taken care of.Apart from that im realy happy with what i got.
A friend of mine has a gets and she payed the same as i payed for my rio and the car is half the size.
Old 16-01-2008, 11:57 PM   #6
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The Hyundai Getz would be the best Korean car to date... but imo still below its Japanese competitions like Yaris, Mazda2, Jazz, and Swift.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2008, 01:27 AM   #7
Werd.
nou

Hyundai i30. Diesel gets something crazy like 5l/100km
Werd. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2008, 01:29 AM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werd.
And 6 grand under the competition with rave reviews......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2008, 01:41 AM   #9
paul_r_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werd.
Not quite in her price range- id buy it and keep it though :P
Old 17-01-2008, 01:47 AM   #10
Werd.
nou

Quote:
Not quite in her price range- id buy it and keep it though :P
Ah damn. They're great cars though, maybe an interest free plan :P
Werd. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2008, 02:01 AM   #11
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

My sister has a Kalos, absolutely no problems, not even a warranty claim...
Dont know if that helps but..

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2008, 10:46 AM   #12
Casablanca
carburettor

FIESTA!!! i know this isn't a jap or korean car but hey i'm a ford man btw for the jap cars i like the yaris.
HSV Team shirt..... $65
Tank of Fuel....$75
Being cornered by a 17 year old bogan with 2 kids and no teeth telling you how much she loves HSV's..... Priceless
Casablanca is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2008, 02:19 PM   #13
paul_r_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Tonko]
My sister has a Kalos, absolutely no problems, not even a warranty claim...
Dont know if that helps but..
She liked the new Barina- also a rebagged Kalos, but the safety rating of 2 stars i think changed her mind.... and this crash test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCAoeFgiiWE
Old 17-01-2008, 04:49 PM   #14
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Last week I was going to buy another Korean car for my wife until we got a price on a new Fiesta almost the same price as Rio and cheaper than Hyundai Accent and the quality of a European built Ford and it features for a base model is so much better than a Korean car.
5 door Fiesta hatch, for top notch 07 plate run out deal, Etheridge Ford.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW

Last edited by SpoolMan; 17-01-2008 at 04:57 PM.
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2008, 04:55 PM   #15
SBR_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casablanca
FIESTA!!! i know this isn't a jap or korean car but hey i'm a ford man btw for the jap cars i like the yaris.
my sister has one and the thing is a big just as bad as my rio.hadnt even done 400ks and the thing boiled it self.Spat coolent and brake fluid all ova the place.And its so hard to drive,put the foot down takes for eva just to get to 60.
Old 17-01-2008, 05:02 PM   #16
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR_1
my sister has one and the thing is a big just as bad as my rio.hadnt even done 400ks and the thing boiled it self.Spat coolent and brake fluid all ova the place.And its so hard to drive,put the foot down takes for eva just to get to 60.

Hence the reason for the awesome fuel consumption.. .The only thing that has happened to our fiesta is the Airbag sensor (warranty)... So Fiesta is certainly another consideration...

The mrs also used to own an Yaris and with 75k on the clock we took it to Queensland (from melbourne) and back and not 1 hiccup!!
Old 17-01-2008, 05:14 PM   #17
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Maybe the handbrake was still half on.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2008, 05:31 PM   #18
Casablanca
carburettor

Quote:
you do realise that they have learning gerbox don't you that you have to be putting your foot down a fair bit to get it going first up but the fiesta i have 3 door auto launches itself off the line and gets going pretty damn quick.

to date nothing wrong with it.

btw what do you expect out of a 1.6l 0-100 in 4 secs? :

if you have come out of a bigger or better car you will notice a lot more.
HSV Team shirt..... $65
Tank of Fuel....$75
Being cornered by a 17 year old bogan with 2 kids and no teeth telling you how much she loves HSV's..... Priceless
Casablanca is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2008, 05:32 PM   #19
BZINGA
Powered by Ford

Thumbs up for the Getz from me. I had to hire a car a few times last year, i hired 2 auto's & 1 manual. They were all fun to drive and fuel economy was great.
BZINGA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2008, 06:47 PM   #20
paul_r_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIK67
Thumbs up for the Getz from me. I had to hire a car a few times last year, i hired 2 auto's & 1 manual. They were all fun to drive and fuel economy was great.
It seems she is heading towards one... now if anyone out there has one gimme some advice thanks! Or i have to go on a search!
Old 17-01-2008, 09:36 PM   #21
SBR_1

Well i say sick the Kia...since i 1st posted in here my car has burnt its oil in about 100 odd ks.DONT GET A BLOODLY KIA!!!!
Old 18-01-2008, 02:11 AM   #22
Taxman
Taxman

Reading some of the comments above it would appear that some of you don't know that Hyundai and Kia are the same company - have been for a couple of years. Do your homework on some of the smaller cars to find out exactly who makes them not just what badge is on the finished product. You will be amazed at what comes out of Korea and has non Korean badges on the finished product.

I had two Kia's up until recently, the wife has a 2000 hatchback Rio and it has just clicked over 100,000 km. Other than routine services, tyres etc it just keeps going, runs on the smell of an oily rag, absolutely incredible fuel consumption both city and highway (NRMA rates it between 5 & 6l per 100km on the highway, that means almost 800km to the 45l tank) and as for performance it will give most cars a real good run for the money. Very good off the mark, if you were a tad lead footed it would pass most things cruising down the highway. Oh and it has fantastic brakes - better than nearly everything I have driven over the last 40 years.

I used to drive a Kia Sportage, did 87,000 km until I was given a work Fairlane - different vehicles but I much preferred to drive the Sportage. Grossly underrated, biggest mistake KIA ever made was to stop making them with a low range. I now have another 4x4 but still prefer the Sportage.

Money for value when you look at what is included for the price - leave most other things for dead. People may say that they don't hold their value but that makes buying a second hand one even better value - the thousands that you save can be better spent on something else for you rather than handing it to a car dealer.
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 05:06 AM   #23
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman

Money for value when you look at what is included for the price - leave most other things for dead. .
We had Hyundai accent 2002 model served us very well, we thought it was a great little car, looked at replacing it with Kia Rio.
Once you drive a car like Fiesta then you start to see some of big differences between the Korean car and a European or Japanese car, one is smooth quiet, no engine noise, with out any rattles were as the other is the opposite Korean good value yes, refined no but getting better.
The Deal.
Kia Rio auto $15,999 drive away, Hundai Accent auto $17,990, Fiesta Auto $17,400 drive away with free comp insurance was worth $600 for the difference of $800 all cars being 5 door hatch, Fiesta has a better engine and a host more features as standard and the quality finish interior is better then my Falcon, we hope it serves us as well as the Accent.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 07:42 AM   #24
Steffo
LPG > You

Personally I think Jap and Korean cars are garbage. They're "good," because parts are cheap and they're simple to work on (well, most of them).

There are an obvious few exceptions to the rule...
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 12:06 PM   #25
Taxman
Taxman

Spoolman

On the older Feistas (2004 was their first here) most things like air conditioning and ABS were quite expensive add ons. In addition we have got away from the topic "Korean or Japanese" as the Fiesta is actually German.

Having checked redbook my comments about the Kia being even better value are highlighted by the figures they provide for private sale. For comparative values I took those of a car 5 years old i.e. a 2003 model, however, I had to use 2004 for the Feista as previously stated it was the first release in Australia although it had been running around Europe for a couple of years.

Make Estimated Private Sale Value
Ford Focus 12,300 - 14,200
Ford Feista 10,600 - 14,200
Toyota Corolla 11,700 - 13,600
Kia Rio 7,800 - 9,300

Not particularly good news if selling something you brought brand new. However, if like the majority of us in these uncertain financial times one is forced to be careful with what we have left after never ending mortgage interest increases etc and we go for a well maintained second hand vehicle what a great saving over the competitors. The extra $3 - 5,000 looks heaps better in my bank account than someone else's. To my way of thinking it makes the Korean an even better proposition.

As the vehicle gets even older the % of loss on new price has to slow down - and as time goes on the reputation of the Korean vehicles improves, again a bonus for me as it will also enhance resale value. As I see it buying a second hand Rio is a win all round for me. I owe no loyalty to any car maker, I judge the vehicle on a value for money at time of purchase (new or second hand) and its reliability. I know everyone can get a lemon at one time or another, but I have been well pleased with the value and service from two second hand Kia's.
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 01:23 PM   #26
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Personally I think Jap and Korean cars are garbage. They're "good," because parts are cheap and they're simple to work on (well, most of them).

There are an obvious few exceptions to the rule...
What do you base this "garbage" comment on. Obviously, like any genre of cars, there's good and bad, but on the whole I'd say that japanese/korean cars are made to a better standard than Fords or Holdens. Been in a new car lately, Steffo?

BF Falcons look like they were assembled by people who had only recently learned to use a hammer. The Getzes I rent have better fit and finish.

Our work VE's are constantly in for repairs (latest one needs a diff, a new cd player, rocker cover gaskets and all front end bushes replaced, after 40,000k's). The three Maxima's we run have had scheduled servicing and tyres, over 100,000 on both now.

When the FBT comes up for replacement, Alyson and I will be buying a 4cyl Toyota or Mitsubishi.

*note: If "cheap parts and simple to work on" was any sort of credible criteria, we'd all be driving red-motored HQ's.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 01:38 PM   #27
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

no ones mentioned the swift i am a ford man but cant and wont kill a suzuki damm near bullet proof . i know i flog 1 .... i mean own 1.and it beats most small cars for standard extras take 1 for a lap she will love it
Old 18-01-2008, 02:20 PM   #28
dave289
Banned

Years ago i considered all korean cars absolute shitboxes,why, because they were, a simple fact.these days things have changed but only for some.I remember when the first hyundai excel came out 1986.my mates mum bought one brand new,the motor was rough and noisy and rattled away with the auto when stopped at lights.and also when going.It was not long after warranty(12 months back then or 20,000 kms,how things change) that the gearbox had to be replaced.i remember a lot of other probs with the car.the only upside to that car is the panels on the car were so much stronger than a laser or pulsar.That was then but these days I believe the hyundai to be quite reasonable.i would still not recommend a daewoo or a kia to anyone as i can tell you of some horror stories.
my mother owns a getz and is very happy with it as is another friend of mine.so was a copper that used to live nearby bragging about how he got his to 190km going to the snow one year with his young daughter.a friend of mine bought a excel brand new in 1992,being a manual.he only sold it about 15 months ago and had never even done a clutch in all the yaers he owned it.
there were only ever a couple of minor things that ever went wrong.one being a indicator piece that broke after about 12 years and a bracket for the alternator that went about a year later.he then went and bought the new elantra.not my kind of car but at that price with that much warranty and that much reliabily of previous it seems like good value.he was happy enough to buy another brand new one and hyundai has been in Australia now for 22 years.
I also saw a right up last year in wheels or motor that compared the getz with the honda jazz.the hyundai was given the thumbs up over the jazz and was also considered the better ride(surprised me too).The getz was also voted cheapest to run and insure out of all cars by the NRMA.
While i would not own one personally i think it is well worth considering for your girlfriend,hope this is of some help.good luck.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 02:44 PM   #29
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman
Make Estimated Private Sale Value
Ford Focus 12,300 - 14,200
Ford Feista 10,600 - 14,200
Toyota Corolla 11,700 - 13,600
Kia Rio 7,800 - 9,300
2003/2004 models
Focus 4 stars
Fiesta 4 stars
Toyota Corolla 3 stars
Echo/Yaris 3 Stars
Kia Rio 2 stars

Seeing as the Rio is bigger than the Echo, how much is your family's wellbeing and safety worth?

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 03:24 PM   #30
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
What do you base this "garbage" comment on. Obviously, like any genre of cars, there's good and bad, but on the whole I'd say that japanese/korean cars are made to a better standard than Fords or Holdens. Been in a new car lately, Steffo?

BF Falcons look like they were assembled by people who had only recently learned to use a hammer. The Getzes I rent have better fit and finish.

Our work VE's are constantly in for repairs (latest one needs a diff, a new cd player, rocker cover gaskets and all front end bushes replaced, after 40,000k's). The three Maxima's we run have had scheduled servicing and tyres, over 100,000 on both now.

When the FBT comes up for replacement, Alyson and I will be buying a 4cyl Toyota or Mitsubishi.

*note: If "cheap parts and simple to work on" was any sort of credible criteria, we'd all be driving red-motored HQ's.
A mate's old man has a Toyota Yaris YRX 1.5 auto hatch thing. Heap'o'crap. The thing feels like its made of the same stuff Coca-Cola cans are made of. The seats are rubbish, I get back pains from sitting in them. The steering is rubbish, the brakes are rubbish, the dashboard layout is rubbish. The thing has ABSOLUTLEY NO POWER AT ALL (80kW 1.5 compared to the 74kW 1.6 Fiesta I used to own... the Fez was a Ferrari for the Yaris). I have the feeling I'm going to die if anything hits us when we're in that thing.

Had a 2007 Camry Altise rental in September '07. Its like a big Yaris. They even sound exactly the same! The throttle-by-wire in it is retarded. The gearbox and throttle never work in sync. Scenario - you're doing 20km/h in slow moving traffic. The traffic then clears and everyone has speed up to 60km/h. You apply a small amount of throttle to coast up to 60km/h with the rest of the traffic. The car goes "hmm, throttle has been applied," and then downshifts. There is a pause. At this point, the engine is howling and engine braking while the car goes "hmm, the throttle is still being applied ever so slightly," so then it gives you WOT acceleration despite you only wanting a very little bit... so you're thrown into the uncomfortable seat as the 117kW 4-cyl struggles to pull the car into the horizon. Horrible setup. Its also very, very, very thirsty. Sydney-Canberra and back, sitting at 100km/h, 1950rpm, 5th in cruise control the whole way returned 9.5L/100km. This is a 2.4 4-cyl we're talking about. Correct me if I'm wrong, but, don't people get better highway KM then that in XR6 Turbo's and other various high performance stuff?

My grandfather has an '01 Hyundai Accent GL - which has been an ok car. Dull and boring, but problem free. And comparing it to late model Toyota's I've sampled (2002 Echo, 2007 Yaris, 2005 Camry Altise, 2004 Camry V6, 2007 Camry Altise, 2000 Avalon Conquest, 1999 Celica) it seems alot better made, interestingly. Taking their extremley bad resale into account, if I was ever after a cheap runabout, I'd give one some consideration... you can get a relatively new car for next to nothing.

Personally, I buy European before anything else. Followed by Australian.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post