Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-03-2008, 12:02 AM   #1
x-taxi

Default rough idle

hey guys, just joined up like 3 days ago so still new here,
got a problem wit ma AU, wen it idles its really rough and sounds like the engine is chocking and sumtimes it just drops revs then revs up again.

the car is straight gas, has never happened before and ive had the car for 2 years, any ideas wat it is, some1 said that i have to re-tune the idle, like unplug battery and reset comp and teach hw to idle properly. dunno

thanks in advanced

peace

x-taxi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2008, 01:26 AM   #2
EvilChief
Boost Addict

go to aufalcon.com and read up on idle relearn procedures in the tech section.

roigh idle tends to point towards dirty or faulty ISC (idle bypass valve), located on top of the throttle body. being gas you have a few more items to play with, ie mixter, etc last wiuered issue we had at work with a straight gas falcon was, that the gas inlet hat located on top of the throttle body has cracked and was no longer secured properly and was allowing air to enter post this gas inlet ring.
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you may also have to get the converter serviced, it may have gummed up on the idle jet and is causing issues
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 10:19 AM   #4
amisupposed2b

I guess its gas, so :

Check you leads and sparks.
Check that water is flowing freely ( A recent trouble of mine )
Clean/check your Idle speed controller.

Also do you know what kind of gas system it is?
amisupposed2b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 10:37 AM   #5
x-taxi

ive checked leads and sparks, all good
water is flowing
i had someone check the idle speed controller, said its all good

well the gas system is factory gas, so dunno wat they use, yesterday i checked it out again and sounds like there isnt enough gas going into engine, i checked and cleaned air filter and everything. i think i have to get the mixture fixed.
Old 31-03-2008, 11:41 AM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Get someone qualified to clean the idle jet out ... how old is the Vialle converter in it????
Have heard of the diaphram breaking down and the internals of the converter gumming up ... and even corroding out (if not using the correct coolant mixture ... or just using water to fill cooling system).
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 12:22 PM   #7
x-taxi

ok everyone the weirdest thing just happened, i took out the battery because i was fixing my sound sytem, i also just added abit more oil to engine.
plug battery back in and the engine is running like new, can someone explain this to me?

i took it for a 20 min drive and tested it a different speeds and stuff and its running perfect.

so weird, but im scared that i might have done something that even though its running smooth im in deed wrecking the engine.
Old 31-03-2008, 12:35 PM   #8
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like it may just have needed an ECU reset

Matt.
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 09:56 PM   #9
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the only problem with that is, pretty soon it will probably be back to where it was in the beginning as you haven't actually replaced anything....
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 10:14 PM   #10
x-taxi

yer im just waiting for that day, because i know its gona happen, and itll happen wen im like far far away from home.

wednesday its gona get a check up, so hopefully they can change something to prevent it.
Old 31-03-2008, 11:48 PM   #11
amisupposed2b

Yeh, the worst time for it to happen is when your far from home. Trust me, its not fun nursing your car a good couple amount kms...
amisupposed2b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 12:16 AM   #12
x-taxi

and even worse is when ur far away from home and its midnite....and wats worse than that is ur mobile fone is close to dying, bu ttheres still hope that u can msg sumone and wat do u realise u have no credit. :(:(

anyways im gona get it checked, coz as u can see above ive had similar problems before...
i live in the oakleigh area, and near dandenong (in melb ofcourse) do u guys know of any good mechanics around there..

thanks
Old 01-04-2008, 09:12 AM   #13
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I'd just drive around for a few days and see how it goes.

It may be as simple as the ECU needing a reset.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post