Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-04-2008, 12:10 PM   #1
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Default Any ADGies??? Thinking of joining RAAF!

I have been working for Local Government for a while and studying at university but frankly I can't see myself working in local government for the rest of my life. I also miss being active every day and all my friends have joined the defence force so I'm getting pretty bored being a civvy.

I have been looking at a number of jobs and Airforce Defence Guard has caught my eye. I'm pretty much either in Brisbane or Adelaide, I get too shoot guns and exercise all day and there are good deployment oppurtunities.

Are there any RAAF members or defence personnel who can give me a run down on ADGies???

No pouge comments thanks :

sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2008, 05:58 PM   #2
FrogInASock
Getahaircutandgetarealjob

You DON'T get to exercise and shoot guns all day. You DON'T get to stand to attention at the base front gate with your highly dangerous F88 Austeyr and 30 round mag, drawing OOHs and AAHs from all the civvies that you see.

You DO get to go on tactical exercises (go bush), often far too frequently and with insufficient hygene and decent food. You CAN have the opportunity to improve your strength and fitness. You CAN and do get to post all over the countryside if you want it (LURVE the Qld tropics!!). You have to sign on for 6 years and for your time in recruits and your mustering training, they OWN you. After that, it's all good outside of working hours.

I am a Fitter and Machinist (Ground Mechanical Engineering Fitter in RAAFspeak). Pay is good, all in all, conditions are good, "perks" such as housing is great (and, NO housing is NOT free, it is subsidised). A lot of people will have to die before I get deployed ('cos of my trade) but ADG's have a greater opportunity. Clerks and Stores people even more so!

Talk to a service person. Ask to speak to an ADG at Recruiting. DO NOT believe the crap that the civilian recruiters tell you. Know that your minimum fitness levels for ADG are greater than for everyone else, and ensure that you can meet those levels. Look at the recruiting website defencejobs.gov.au for more info.

And good luck. :-)
Old 11-04-2008, 08:52 PM   #3
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Thanks mate!
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2008, 01:40 AM   #4
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, I'll clear up a few issues for you first dude, as a junior ADG (ie AC), you wont get deployed anywhere operational, such as the middle east or anything like that because it will take at least 24 months from start to finish to actually train you to a deployable standard. as a junior ADG you are posted to Amberley until you are promoted to CPL and only then are other posting localities open to you(promotion can take 4 or 5 years... and sometimes never). You better like being told what to do, call everyone by rank, be asked to do retarded things just because someone else decides its a great idea, trek through the bush loaded with gear for weeks on end and lastly, be smashed stupid training for a deployment that will never happen(Realistically Army infantry units are always sent in over and above ADG simply because the army has the numbers to maintain presence, whereas the ADG squadron simply isnt large enough to cycle blokes in and out of a deployed area for a sustained period). If you want deployments, go Movements Operator in the airforce..... those guys are forever tripping all over the world and dont have to do a moronic job either.
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post