Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 30-05-2008, 12:09 AM   #1
BAxtER
ive been 4490'd

Default advice needed...focus hunting

Hi all, Well reason for the thread is that on saturday my girlfriend is going to look at buying a ford focus. She really wants a brand new one, but it might be out of her reach, so ivetalked her into buying a near new one...either zetec or LX? i think it is..the model after CL. she wants a 2007 plate and would prefer the zetec but wouldnt mind the model below it.

Anyway was wondering if their is anything to look out for? Any advice would be much appreciated
cheers.

www.taipanmotorsport.com.au
BAxtER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2008, 12:49 AM   #2
christo_fiesta

buy a turbo diesel one - in fact buy mine...im selling one (practically new lol)!
christo_fiesta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2008, 01:53 AM   #3
pizzdorf
Starter Motor

Default Decisions

Hey there,

Here's the Ford website:
http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Conte...Page&c=DFYPage

And here is the whinge list:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=65958

Happy thinking. It's up to you. I happen to love the Focus, and have not had a prob (broken clutch return spring is all I've had to worry about).

Anyhow, hopefully more experienced persons will give you some more advice. Alternatively, some more persons will give you some experienced advice. (^_^)

Test drive before you buy I suppose.

Good luck
pizzdorf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2008, 11:37 AM   #4
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Try and get an LT focus if possible. It seems that the LT's have sorted out most of the problems that the LS had. Even if you buy the base model with the power pack, which includes the power windows and mirrors, etc. The only thing you'll really be missing out on from the LX is the fog lights. Then with the leftover money you can spend it on something for the car, new wheels or springs, etc.

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2008, 12:31 PM   #5
Curly
SOLD: 2006 LS Focus LX

Be very careful. We have just traded ours in after 18 months of misery. The pinging was terrible even on 95RON and the dealer could NOT fix it. Hope you don't buy our old one.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2008, 02:17 PM   #6
BAxtER
ive been 4490'd

thanks guys, will go tomorrow and check these vehicles out, if we can find a great condition LX hatch, we might go for it.
cheers again
www.taipanmotorsport.com.au
BAxtER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2008, 05:38 PM   #7
scooby

Just be careful that you don't buy my old one, ( or Curly's).
Personaly I think they have sorted out a lot of the LS problems with the LT model.
Also, they all leak water in the hatch (not a lot, but they leak). Some people notice, some don't.
scooby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2008, 11:16 PM   #8
NO2
Old Man

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby
Just be careful that you don't buy my old one, ( or Curly's).
Personaly I think they have sorted out a lot of the LS problems with the LT model.
Also, they all leak water in the hatch (not a lot, but they leak). Some people notice, some don't.
That maybe a generalisation that hatchbacks all leak. My TDCI doesn't, considering the rain we have here in Qld at the moment there is no indication of water ingress. On the seal I can identify where the seal is watertight because of the dirt residue.

A lot depends on how you drive. As someone of the older generation my wife has got 60,000km out of tyres and brakes on the 2004 Focus (Spanish construct not South Africa). Both need replacing soon. Had a instrument cluster replaced on Focus 1 under warranty was the only issue with that one.
Focus 2 (the TDCI) has crap air conditioning which I will hassle Ford about on the 15,000km service this week. It is not as effective as on Focus 1 so there has got to be a gas problem at the minimum.

Apart from that they are a car I am happy enough to have 2 of.
NO2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2008, 10:24 AM   #9
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

I've got an LT Focus Sedan, and I've never noticed any pinging.

I previously had an LS Focus Hatch where I did notice the pinging issue.
eXtremist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2008, 07:23 PM   #10
GSR
Focus LT

Im pretty happy with mine, its an 07 LT. The only annoying things so far is the CD player packed it in, but it was replaced no problem.
The car does ping a little on 91oct but never heard any running on premium.
I consider the seats are too high it feels like youre sitting way up.
My basic CL pack doesnt seem to have the capability to lock the car up when youre inside??? So if shes security conscious then you better check that out.
GSR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2008, 11:00 PM   #11
20focus05
I wanna XR5

GSR do if you push the lock button on the front doors your dont lock?
Ours locks if I push in the lock button, they will open from the inside (automatically unlocks) but not the outside. Love this system so easy to unlock (was an RAA contractor) takes a minute and its unlocked if you know what to do.

We have had a few probs, but nothing for sometime now.
Pings a little bit on premium but notice it could be the fuel brand and differnt batches.
with a 10 to 1 compression ratio no wonder.

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2008, 12:18 PM   #12
GSR
Focus LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20focus05
GSR do if you push the lock button on the front doors your dont lock?
Ours locks if I push in the lock button, they will open from the inside (automatically unlocks) but not the outside. Love this system so easy to unlock (was an RAA contractor) takes a minute and its unlocked if you know what to do.

We have had a few probs, but nothing for sometime now.
Pings a little bit on premium but notice it could be the fuel brand and differnt batches.
with a 10 to 1 compression ratio no wonder.
mmm... lock button?, my car doesnt have a lock button. Its just the lever to open the door. Thats it....its a little strange that there doesnt seem to be an ability to lock the car if your inside apart from pressing the lock button on the remote key as long as its out of the ignition..
Old 03-06-2008, 12:27 PM   #13
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR
mmm... lock button?, my car doesnt have a lock button. Its just the lever to open the door. Thats it....its a little strange that there doesnt seem to be an ability to lock the car if your inside apart from pressing the lock button on the remote key as long as its out of the ignition..
That is a bit weird. I'm pretty sure I can lock mine with both the remote (in or out of ignition) as well as the latches on the door handles. Haven't really thought about it until now. Gotta check it now!!!!

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2008, 01:02 PM   #14
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Baxter,

If you haven't bought anything yet, let me know, we have a few Focus that might suit you. Always happy to help out a donating member!
Old 03-06-2008, 04:50 PM   #15
GSR
Focus LT

Guys, I take it all back, I had a good look .....and yes... how stupid am I :togo: , I didnt realise you have to push that little black tab on top of the lever harder than I thought was necessary. I though it was part of the opening lever and didnt want to push it too hard. Well Im happy now because I was starting to think I had some sort of dodgy model.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:23 PM   #16
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Hey,

I'm looking for one for my girl too, but we're going after new (yes I know). Is there any difference between the 07 and 08 model interiors?

I test drove an 07 model and it drove quite nicely, gearbox felt a lot better than the Corollas, and the handling was fantastic HOWEVER the interior felt really really crappy to me.