Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-09-2008, 06:56 PM   #1
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

Default Inaccurate speeding fine: What can be done?

Alright, I have a bit of a dilemma.

I was driving down Eastlink yesterday afternoon in a work truck, cruising along without a drama when this little, green Camry came flying up behind me and hit the purple flashers from behind the grill. VicRoads!

Pulled over to the side of the road, jumped out to see what was going on and the first thing the bloke said was "Is this thing speed limited?" My answer: not that I know of. Next, he explains that he caught me doing 119km/h in a 100 zone. $227 and 3 demerit points. Wasn't interested in saying, or listening to, anything else.

My problem? There's no way I was doing 119km/h. Not in a fully loaded bitumen truck on flat ground. I admitted that I may have been doing over 100km/h (over the last few k's the speedo had floated from between 95-105), but the needle never got to, or went past, 110km/h.

Yet, somehow, this bloke reckons he followed me for 3,008m at an average speed of 119km/h. An average speed? Which to me says that I either sat on 119km/h the whole way, which would have most likely meant me getting backhanded by the truck operator sitting in the seat beside me, or I gave it one hell of a squirt that saw me float from 100km/h to roughly 138km/h with 119km/h being tucked neatly in the middle (therefore = average speed). That's how I see it.

But with over 9tonne of gutless Isuzu, on a flat section of freeway, 138 is nowhere near reachable. Ever. With our trucks being driven to every corner of the country, blokes have tried. 120-125km/h is roughly top speed in that sort of scenario. And that's fighting hard to get to that speed.

Yet, this bloke wasn't interested. 119km/h was his speed. Detected and alleged. $227 and 3 demerit points. If I'd been fined for doing somewhere between 100-110km/h I wouldn't have even worried about the fine, just paid and gone on with life. But this fine is absolute rubbish. Now, being in a work vehicle, this has presented a bit of drama.

My question is this: What can I do to argue it? It's not right, I know this. The bloke sitting beside me knows this. The bloke from VicRoads wasn't interested in listening to a word either of us had to say. I also didn't think to ask to see any reading or anything until today. Now, I'm a little bit stressed trying to suss out what can be done.

Little help?

My XB Fairmont Sedan Project
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2008, 07:03 PM   #2
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are Vic Roads leagally entitled to issue speeding infringements I thought it was only the Police with calibrated speed detection equipment
I know they can issue safety defect notices well they can here in QLD but Vic is another state
Good luck in your persuit of freedom and justice
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2008, 07:08 PM   #3
Falcon_Crazy
PX3 WildTrak & RTV

Any fne can be appealed. Didnt realise VIC Rds could fine you - thought either cops or cameras.

What "evidence" did they have? A digital read out from GPS?

I recommend you make some enquiries with VicRoads, not admitting anything and possibly speak with a lawyer.
BA Falcon RTV - Project Ute 265,000km
Sold PXII Ranger XLT Cool White. 105,000
Sold PX Ranger XLT in cool white, 151,700km on clock.
Sold FGII XR6T Ute LTD Edition in Kinetic.
Sold FG XR6 Ute
Sold BA Falcon RTV. 251,300km.Was a great mate for last 7 years

Sold AUII XLS Ute
Sold '85 XF & Crashed 84 XF
Falcon_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2008, 07:20 PM   #4
rocket67

Angry Stiff luck Woz.

You have a bit of a problem.

If you fight the B/S fine it will cost you more than the fine is worth.

Had the same problem last year while on holiday in Tassie. Cop pulled me up near Devonport and gave me a fine for speeding. No way was i over the limit!
Think he realised i was driving a rental car - and therefore fair game.

Guess he needed to get his quota for the day.

I paid up rather than go through the crap.

Rocket.
rocket67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2008, 07:24 PM   #5
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

Other problem is, there was no P plates up on the truck. Also a 3 point fine. Can't argue that one. But two 3 point fines add up to 6 points. Being on P plates leaves me with 5 points to start with (all of which I currently have) and as we all know, 5 minus 6 equates to not a great deal. So, I'm very interested in challenging this.

Old 23-09-2008, 07:29 PM   #6
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

I've driven my dad's ISUZU 2005 NPR200 back and forth between Brisbane and the Gold Coast on multiple occasions, but have never reached that sort of speed. It's only a 4.22tonne truck but I think at best that thing has hit 115kph at a slight decline in the road. The speeds you hit seem to make no sense.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2008, 07:41 PM   #7
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz
Other problem is, there was no P plates up on the truck. Also a 3 point fine. Can't argue that one. But two 3 point fines add up to 6 points. Being on P plates leaves me with 5 points to start with (all of which I currently have) and as we all know, 5 minus 6 equates to not a great deal. So, I'm very interested in challenging this.
you're lucky you didn't get done for driving a 9ton truck you are a P Plater FFS and a 9 ton truck requires either an MR or HR licence depending on axle configuration . you can not drive these on P plates and you were actually unlicenced for that vehicle at the time . just think your self lucky and stop whinging

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2008, 07:44 PM   #8
reds89

didnt you say you had a mate in the truck with you,you have a witness! and as far as i know doesnt matter who it is, they have to have some sort of master speedo or gps system to accurately check your speed.If they havent how can they fine you when his speedo could be out.I would seek legal advice,they will usually advice you if its worth chasing.
reds89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2008, 07:48 PM   #9
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
you're lucky you didn't get done for driving a 9ton truck you are a P Plater FFS and a 9 ton truck requires either an MR or HR licence depending on axle configuration . you can not drive these on P plates and you were actually unlicenced for that vehicle at the time . just think your self lucky and stop whinging
Well done, mate. Your criticism is much appreciated. However, consider this...

I said I was on P plates. I didn't say I was under 21. I have an MR license and am fully qualified to drive the truck I was driving.

You should be proud of your ability to jump to conclusions and I feel extremely grateful to have been able to witness such intelligence.

Old 23-09-2008, 08:00 PM   #10
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz

I said I was on P plates. I didn't say I was under 21. I have an MR license and am fully qualified to drive the truck I was driving.

You should be proud of your ability to jump to conclusions and I feel extremely grateful to have been able to witness such intelligence.
Your in Vic and he's in NSW. I don't think we can get a MR or HR here if on P plates
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2008, 08:19 PM   #11
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Prove the speedo is out on the truck and try to mount a defence.. (with the aid of legal advice) or if the speedo isnt out just bend over and cop it sweet....

Old 23-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #12
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

Speedo on the truck is accurate.

Old 23-09-2008, 08:27 PM   #13
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Actually MR licence is attainable on P-Plates here in NSW, I was planning on going for my MR licence, and someone else I work with has there MR licence on P's.
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2008, 08:36 PM   #14
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL XR6
Actually MR licence is attainable on P-Plates here in NSW, I was planning on going for my MR licence, and someone else I work with has there MR licence on P's.
Ok that makes sense. Its a national licensing system so it should be the same in all states with regards to the P plates. I got my HR a few months back but that was off a full license so didn't have to worry about the P plate aspect. MR must be highest attainable while on green P's?
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2008, 08:40 PM   #15
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

What's your tyre size as against the placard?
And or have you had the tyres changed recently???

Also were you on recaps?????? They are speed limited, if they were fitted, you need to check the speed limitation there, could be a way out for you.

Tyres would contribute to the speed difference.

VICROADS "can" book trucks, that's their job. End of story.
Lucky not to ask about log books either.

Cars, different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz
If you drive up the hume at all, hit Beveridge, check ya speedo there.
If it's accurate, then you can challenge it.

Last edited by BA Waggn; 23-09-2008 at 08:49 PM.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2008, 09:19 PM   #16
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Waggn
What's your tyre size as against the placard?
And or have you had the tyres changed recently???

Also were you on recaps?????? They are speed limited, if they were fitted, you need to check the speed limitation there, could be a way out for you.

Tyres would contribute to the speed difference.

VICROADS "can" book trucks, that's their job. End of story.
Lucky not to ask about log books either.

Cars, different story.

If you drive up the hume at all, hit Beveridge, check ya speedo there.
If it's accurate, then you can challenge it.

Ok, so they are able to give out speeding fines but what sort of device do they have to measure your speed? What records of that speed do they keep and substantiate it if the fine is challenged?

Many fines are avoided because it is challenged, don't try and you won't know, just need to know your facts before you open that can of works.
Old 23-09-2008, 09:43 PM   #17
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz
sorry, but you're stoofed....

Old 23-09-2008, 09:45 PM   #18
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you are liable to lose your licence over the fine, I would be going to see a solicitor and challenging it.

Obviously they have judged your speed via their own speedo?, if so theuy have to show that the device is accurate and has had all the necessary accuracy tests done. Which I personally would find very unlikely.

I have spent a fair amount of money over the years challenging speeding fines in court, have won some and lost some but if you need your licence to make a living it is what you have to do.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2008, 09:59 PM   #19
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's up to Vicroads to prove that you were speeding,not up to you to prove that you weren't and that is why a large number of people who decide to challenge fines in court end up winning.
If you tell them that you want to see them in court you have a very good chance of winning and they may also withdraw the fine beforehand because time in court costs them money.
Morexbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2008, 10:10 PM   #20
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz
Yet, somehow, this bloke reckons he followed me for 3,008m at an average speed of 119km/h. An average speed? Which to me says that I either sat on 119km/h the whole way, which would have most likely meant me getting backhanded by the truck operator sitting in the seat beside me, or I gave it one hell of a squirt that saw me float from 100km/h to roughly 138km/h with 119km/h being tucked neatly in the middle (therefore = average speed). That's how I see it.
This part falls over for you, yes on the surface your sums are right, but even so if the max speed that truck can do is 119 kmh and you sat at that top speed for 3008 m then you average speed is 119kph and the 138 kph arguement goes out of the window.

If the top speed you can get out of that truck is less than 119 kph then yes you could ask how it was possible to do an average of 119 kph.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2008, 11:07 PM   #21
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz
Alright, I have a bit of a dilemma.

I was driving down Eastlink yesterday afternoon in a work truck, cruising along without a drama when this little, green Camry came flying up behind me and hit the purple flashers from behind the grill. VicRoads!

Pulled over to the side of the road, jumped out to see what was going on and the first thing the bloke said was "Is this thing speed limited?" My answer: not that I know of. Next, he explains that he caught me doing 119km/h in a 100 zone. $227 and 3 demerit points. Wasn't interested in saying, or listening to, anything else.

My problem? There's no way I was doing 119km/h. Not in a fully loaded bitumen truck on flat ground. I admitted that I may have been doing over 100km/h (over the last few k's the speedo had floated from between 95-105), but the needle never got to, or went past, 110km/h.

But with over 9tonne of gutless Isuzu, on a flat section of freeway, 138 is nowhere near reachable. Ever. With our trucks being driven to every corner of the country, blokes have tried. 120-125km/h is roughly top speed in that sort of scenario. And that's fighting hard to get to that speed.

Yet, this bloke wasn't interested. 119km/h was his speed. Detected and alleged. $227 and 3 demerit points. If I'd been fined for doing somewhere between 100-110km/h I wouldn't have even worried about the fine, just paid and gone on with life. But this fine is absolute rubbish. Now, being in a work vehicle, this has presented a bit of drama.

My question is this: What can I do to argue it? It's not right, I know this. The bloke sitting beside me knows this. The bloke from VicRoads wasn't interested in listening to a word either of us had to say. I also didn't think to ask to see any reading or anything until today. Now, I'm a little bit stressed trying to suss out what can be done.

Little help?
You need to establish two things , how did he measure the speed and what speed will the turck do , did your passenger have an opinion ?
I suspect you can beat this.
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2008, 11:16 PM   #22
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

What model Isuzu? The specs like these give max speeds http://www.suttonsmotorsarncliffetru...20_ARK0227.pdf
Quote:
Max Geared speed: 112* km/h @ 2,650 rpm
and not too many small Isuzu trucks can achieve those speeds even unladen. If you can produce a spec sheet like this it would be good evidence to support your claim.
Old 23-09-2008, 11:48 PM   #23
Bobman
Regulator

I'm interested on what section of East Link this was.

There are cameras there (yes I know only two are turned on at the moment IIRC), however the others would still be working in 'test mode'.

Be very interesting to see. Given that there are plenty of traffic monitoring cameras around there and the road is also privately operated, I'd be contacting East Link and perhaps obtaining footage of your truck and the surrounding traffic, which would clearly indicate whether or not the truck was passing traffic or being passed.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 01:54 AM   #24
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What would also be handy is if Eastlink could give you a precise time (down to the second) that you passed each toll point, and work backwards from there. Depending on which part you were on, those points are pretty close together so it would be pretty accurate.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 10:31 AM   #25
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in every state i have lived in you had to be off your P plates before you could get an MR licence. I am surprised that victoria allows inexperienced P platers drive these vehicles any lack of inteligence is on the part of the victorian goovernment in issuing an inexperienced ( yes if you are a p plater you are concidered an inexperienced driver) driver to have an MR licence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 10:39 AM   #26
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

since when has a camry's speedo been an acurate speed detection device?
Old 24-09-2008, 12:00 PM   #27
fox76
Starter Motor

With the figures you have supplied the Vic roads car has been following you for 91.01 seconds which would usually mean that over that whole 3008m you may have fluctuated between 118 and 120 kph according to them that is.

If you wish to mount a defence I would first off find out if the speed detection is from the normal Camry speedo, a separate calibrated speedometer (which is independent of the cars speedo) or if it is the Camry’s speedo that has been calibrated. This I think will dictate if you should bother to take it on.

In relation to your speedo, there are many things that can effect the accuracy such as tyre pressure, type and size of tyre, the method of speed detection (electronic or mechanical), how old and how many Km's the vehicle has etc. In relation to you or your friend giving evidence on speed often a Magistrate will not accept a lay persons opinion on speed unless you are an expert or have a field of experience and knowledge as opinion evidence in court is not allowed (unless you are an expert).

It should also be said that the same things that can affect your speedo can affect the Vic roads car. If they are using a normal speedo you have the ADR 5 (I think) re +/- 10% for cars made pre 06 and post 06 I think it is 4% I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong about that. If you can raise a doubt about any of those issues (tyre pressure, speedo calibration etc) then the offence can not be proven beyond a reasonable doubt (which is the burden of proof)

Just another thought and its a little underhanded if you are only a few months away from getting your full licence fill the back of the tickets out for court which will be mentioned in a few months time in the mean time you get your full licence then go to court plea guilty and it will not matter anyway as you will have 12 points. With the courts being weak these days I am sure the fine will be either dismissed with no conviction recorded (if you have a good record) or a small monetary amount.
fox76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 02:13 PM   #28
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Some good points here. 1. Lawyer. 2. Eastlink toll gantry timings. 3. Top speed of truck. Good luck with it.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 07:49 PM   #29
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom_105
What would also be handy is if Eastlink could give you a precise time (down to the second) that you passed each toll point, and work backwards from there. Depending on which part you were on, those points are pretty close together so it would be pretty accurate.
There ya go, if you have a breeze account, this can be done.
But it also depends where he was when he got pulled over.

It gives the time, to you, to the second.
So you can calculate the time, just need the distance, then hence average speed.

I know this is a bad analogy, but the other thing he can do, is go under the speed camera at Greens Road full tilt. It will show the max speed, but this will incur a speeding fine in itself.
But before you would do this, get approval by VicRoads on this.
It's only to prove what max speed the truck can do, and therefore discrediting the average speed VicRoads quoted you at (If you can't do 119kph, your case is well in your favour).

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Ok, so they are able to give out speeding fines but what sort of device do they have to measure your speed? What records of that speed do they keep and substantiate it if the fine is challenged?
They have the same power to truckies (IMHO) as cops do to ppl with cars.
They have the power to pull over a truck and go over the truck and driver and fine / or penalise you in any way they see fit.
Whether it's Driver wise (log books included), Truck wise, Load wise or Restraint wise.
I don't know what they use, but you would have to expect it to be somewhat accurate, otherwise these situations would have been challenged in the past and the unit would have been pulled out of the system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue
What model Isuzu? The specs like these give max speeds http://www.suttonsmotorsarncliffetru...20_ARK0227.pdf and not too many small Isuzu trucks can achieve those speeds even unladen. If you can produce a spec sheet like this it would be good evidence to support your claim.
Tyre size, needs to be compared with what's actually fitted.
He needs to speed test the vehicle first to check the actual grounds of Vicroads infringement.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 10:40 AM   #30
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

i dont think vic roads are going to let you fang your truck at top speed through a camera hahaha!