Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-09-2008, 07:46 PM   #1
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Wikipedia - how accurate

Hey guys, just wanting to find out the general concensus of what people think re: wikipedia.

Stumbled across this bit of info;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden

Live, Love, RACE

SOLD: AU III XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2008, 08:14 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

A very long and detailed history. Wikipedia is made 'by the people, for the people'... so anything like that can have a strong bias.

I remember a few years ago there was a famous Aussie racing identity (I think???) who was slandered beyond belief... the stuff written was disgusting, and there for all the public to see. Don't know what the process is to create or edit a Wiki page, but it looks like the page was written by a family member venting after a bitter divorce or similar..
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2008, 08:28 PM   #3
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Wikipedia is good for casual information finding.

Anything more than that i'd go elsewhere as well and get a few different perspectives.
Old 29-09-2008, 09:07 PM   #4
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Wikipidia is good, research is research, you don't trust one sorce, and you double check/cross referance info.

Wikipages can be locked, and the information usually edited buy more then one person, so some pages will be correct, others have flamboyant fan boy stories (alot of bands cop this)

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2008, 09:23 PM   #5
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

I like how Stephen Colbert puts it:

Quote:
I actually do think that Wikipedia is an amazing thing. It is the first place I go when I’m looking for knowledge, or when I want to create some.
If you're looking for a starting point, then its fairly good. I think of it more like a links page.
It really depends on the formality or importance of what you intend to use the information for.

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2008, 09:26 PM   #6
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
A very long and detailed history. Wikipedia is made 'by the people, for the people'... so anything like that can have a strong bias.

I remember a few years ago there was a famous Aussie racing identity (I think???) who was slandered beyond belief... the stuff written was disgusting, and there for all the public to see. Don't know what the process is to create or edit a Wiki page, but it looks like the page was written by a family member venting after a bitter divorce or similar..
Bob Jane's was bloody hilarious.

I miss the old days when encyclopaedias were out of date when printed/pressed onto CD. At least they were accurate. Wikipedia, however isn't accurate at the best of times. I've stopped going there, and I am back to Google as a starting point for Information, generally ignoring the Wikipedia entries.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2008, 07:33 AM   #7
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

Wikipedia is alright for very basic knowledge of a subject, however anyone and everyone can submit info on Wikipedia that is "apparently" factual. If you need sound research then look elsewhere.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2008, 08:07 AM   #8
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Bob Jane's was bloody hilarious.

I miss the old days when encyclopaedias were out of date when printed/pressed onto CD. At least they were accurate. Wikipedia, however isn't accurate at the best of times. I've stopped going there, and I am back to Google as a starting point for Information, generally ignoring the Wikipedia entries.
Very sad that I can remember the World Book Encyclopedia / Enc. Brittanica salespeople coming past the house!

Wouldn't take Wikipedia as gospel, prefer google for various different sources
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2008, 10:15 AM   #9
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stylist
Wikipedia is alright for very basic knowledge of a subject, however anyone and everyone can submit info on Wikipedia that is "apparently" factual. If you need sound research then look elsewhere.
I was looking up specifications for a Mig 29 Fulcrum and the details like wing span, area, fuel capacity was spot on with other sources.

Also, Wikipedia bans IPs if you get caught editing in stupid stuff, anything you edit needs to have a reference to back it up also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2008, 10:26 AM   #10
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I was under the impression that Wikipedia is a moderated site. If someone added or edited a page without citing references, then it would alert moderators who would then deleted the unreferenced material.

I figure that as long as you are checking the references out as well, then the info will be fine.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2008, 10:28 AM   #11
FordFella
Hoon (I wish!)

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM.. some info's decent but other is just really strange unusual and commonly wrong. I wouldn't trust my life or future car but if you don't have much idea it is a decent starting service.

: If only I were old enough :
FordFella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2008, 03:12 PM   #12
fmc351
let it burn

This about sums it up...

http://valleywag.com/5050632/professor-wikipedia
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2008, 03:19 PM   #13
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Hehehehe.....

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2008, 03:27 PM   #14
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Some studies claim it's as accurate as other sources
http://news.cnet.com/Study-Wikipedia...3-5997332.html
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2008, 04:53 PM   #15
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I quite often get hooked for hours reading random stuff on Wikipedia.

For example, last night, after watching National Treasure 2 - I ended up on Wiki for an hour or so just reading about various bits and things mentioned in the movie. Thing is, I end up reading one article and opening a bunch of links to other articles in new tabs, so by the end of a particularly long article I could have six or seven tabs with other articles its linked to ready to read!

It can be vandalised quite easily, however most vandalism is reverted pretty damned quickly - there's people out there who monitor the "Recent changes" section, and revert pages if they get vandalised. Usually pages on contentious issues or people get locked and stay that way - for example, I don't think the page on George W Bush or Osama Bin Laden can be edited. And yes, if people do continually vandalise they will block the IP address of the editor, but any customer of an ISP who gives out dynamic IP's just has to reboot their modem/router to get a new IP and off they go again.

I generally tend not to edit or play around with it too much anymore, however if I spot the odd obvious spelling error I'll go in and correct it.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post