Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-01-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Second Hand Cams?

Can anyone tell me if theres anything wrong with using a second hand cam? When looking for one, are there any tell tale signs to indicate a shagged cam?

I'm actually on the lookout for an XR6 HP cam, will the standard followers and such be fine, or should I grab the XR6 ones? Would I need to get new harder valve springs or will the standard springs be fine?

Anything else I should know/look out for?

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
broken_suave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
The Monty
Just slidin'

Standard springs should be fine, and as long as it hasnt been in the weather and isnt rusty, it should be fine. Obviously shouldnt have chips or cracks.
Old 22-01-2009, 05:23 PM   #3
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Would a regrind be worth looking at? What are you hoping to achieve with the change?

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2009, 04:40 PM   #4
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you can get a new xr6 hp cam from ford there about $180 ,your valve springs will be fine.
Old 23-01-2009, 09:47 PM   #5
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

If you're going to the effort and expense of buying a cam and fitting it, personally it sounds like a bit of a waste to just get an XR6 HP cam.

Have you thought about an aftermarket one? There are billet ones new, and apparently Wade might now do regrinds for AU's.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
low au classic
EA FALCONED

is it only $180 for an xr6 one would that improve my series 1 au falcon oer stock and how much improve

SVO wheels 16x7 & 16x8
SVO MOMO steering wheel
SVO rear spoiler
SVO dash cluster
SVO RECARO trim
SVO headers
SVO grille
Sounds good pity it hasn’t ran in 3 years
low au classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To be honest, I partly want a slightly more lively engine, and I'm also curious how it'll turn out, so its sort of like an experiment. I'm sure I could get a reground cam for not much more, but I really dont want or need big chunks of extra power. A few kW here and there and improved engine livelyness is all I'm aiming for.

After ringing around the various Ford parts places around Brisbane, it looks to be around the $210 mark for the XR6 HP cam. Coupled with various new gaskets and bolts, it should cost about the same installed, as it would for a regrind alone.

My biggest question now, if I get a new one from Ford, do I need to run the cam in for 20 mins or so? Or is there no need?

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

Old 24-01-2009, 08:19 PM   #8
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

qford at browns plains were selling them $180 for the hp and $220 for the vct.
you don't need any new gaskets or bolts ,it should take around 30 min to fit if you know what your doin,
once its in get up it you don't need to break them in.
Old 24-01-2009, 08:42 PM   #9
Rooster
Gimme Shelter

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken_suave
Can anyone tell me if theres anything wrong with using a second hand cam? When looking for one, are there any tell tale signs to indicate a shagged cam?

I'm actually on the lookout for an XR6 HP cam, will the standard followers and such be fine, or should I grab the XR6 ones? Would I need to get new harder valve springs or will the standard springs be fine?

Anything else I should know/look out for?
The best advice I can offer is: Tuesday morning, ring 03 9357 0469, Crow Cams, ask for Johnny Marshall. Whether you purchase one of their products or not, John will have all the time in the world to answer your questions and make suggestions. It won't matter if you're Smokey Yunick or Pink, the guy will talk to you like a human being.

At the very least, purely for your own amusement, ring up just to prove me wrong and have a chance to bag me out.

Hope this helps
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2009, 09:01 PM   #10
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont want to bag anyone out. That sounds like a good idea, it'd be nice to talk to a cam expert for longer than 30 seconds, long enough to say more than:
"I'm looking for information on cams for an AU Falcon.. *YEAH SORRY, DONT DO MUCH WITH AU'S* Ah OK, you dont even do a basic regrind or anything?.. *NAH.* .....OK thanks for that."
I'll look into it.

Also FS5, are you sure theres no need for new gaskets and such? I'd really prefer to put them in anyway, always have, and I'd prefer to er on the side of caution.

Previously:

Old 24-01-2009, 10:32 PM   #11
The Monty
Just slidin'

Wade cams dont really do an AU grind, say cams in AU's dont work to the extent to which they want, Im not sure about crow, they may.
Tighe cams will do a regrind, and so do Surecam.